1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Torrent Downloading Question..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by brooksstephens, Jun 4, 2008.

Tags:
  1. brooksstephens

So I'm kind of old school when it comes to downloading music (still been using Limewire). I want to use more up to date and efficient methods.. so I'm trying to figure out this torrent thing. First of all, what is a good (free) torrent program to have? Second, when I go to try to download a torrent now, it tells me that Windows doesn't recognize the file type. Any suggestions?

2. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Windows - uTorrent, BitLord, Azureus
    Mac - Transmission

3. Omer

Omer Member

Install www.utorrent.com first then open the torrent files using that, make it the default program for .torrent files and youre set.

4. brooksstephens

OK, so I'm using the utorrent program now... but I don't understand why it's any better than Limewire when it comes to downloading music. Limewire has stuff that I just can't find on utorrent. What are the advantages of a torrent program?

5. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

i'm going to report you to the cyber police 11!!

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I think Limewire has more dummy files. I haven't used those type of P2P since around 2000. I've been using torrents for a while now, and I like them better. There is better self monitoring onto which is a legit file and which is not.
    Also its easier to download full album from torrents then clicking a bunch of individual files.

You'll find a better quality of music material on private torrent sites like Waffles, What.cd and Stmusic.org over public torrent sites like Pirate Bay and Btjunkie.org, etc...

I think more people use torrents for downloading tv shows and movies, which are much harder on something like Limewire. (I don't even know if you can do that but it wasn't possible back in the early days of P2P)

Regarding safety of downloading and risk of getting caught...I'm not really sure what is safer though.

7. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

LimeWire has so many viruses on it...Torrents are usually checked more thoroughly and usually from websites that have reviews on it

rlslog.net is pretty good

8. TurtleBonzi

TurtleBonzi Member

I recommend Azureus. Reliable and it has a nice GUI.

9. brooksstephens

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the feedback. I think I am going to continue downloading individual songs from limewire, and then get tv shows or movies or complete albums from utorrent.

10. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

When you download a torrent with utorrent, a dialog box pops up with the contents of the download. If it's an album and you only want one song, just uncheck the other files and you will download only the file you want. I don't do that very often, but it works. I think you will find that the selection of full albums out there is much better than individual tracks.

#10 oomp, Jun 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  11. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Agreed. Individual tracks - that's sooooo 20th century :D