1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Torre rejects Yankees!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Cat, Oct 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Breaking news, on ESPN2. Love it.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

3. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Yeah its pretty awesome i loved how ESPN was reporting that he would be back and had it plastered all over their front page then it comes out that he rejected them. Yanks short list includes Tony Larussa, Joe Girardi and Bobby Valentine

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

eh, he rejected a one year deal...why would he want to put himself through a situation where his future with the team would be talked about after every win or loss?

Had the Yanks offered a multi year deal, he'd take it.

5. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Torre turns down offer to return as Yanks' skipper

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

TAMPA, Fla. -- Joe Torre turned down the New York Yankees' offer to return as manager on Thursday.

The Yankees offered Torre a one-year deal with a base salary of $5 million and incentives that would have increased his salary to $8 million based on postseason performance. Under that offer, if Torre reached the World Series in 2008, an option for 2009 would have vested.

Torre traveled to Tampa from New York on Thursday with general manager Brian Cashman and chief operating officer Lonn Trost. The manager was at Legends Field for about an hour and then left for the airport.

Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, sons Hal and Hank and team president Randy Levine were also at the team's spring training complex. Torre's arrival was first reported by the New York Post.

"More meetings. We're working on it," Levine said earlier Thursday.

With nothing to announce on Torre, Cashman and Trost returned to New York on Wednesday evening. At the time, they gave no indication they would return the next day -- accompanied by the manager.

"We hold Joe Torre in the highest regard and, obviously, that's why we're taking the time ... to determine what's best for us as we move forward and whether he's a part of that or not," Cashman said Wednesday.

While the team's top officials met in Florida, some fans signed a petition Wednesday at a "Save Joe Torre" rally near Times Square in New York.

Steinbrenner did not comment -- he hasn't discussed Torre's future publicly since he told The Record of Hackensack, N.J., on Oct. 6 that he didn't think he'd bring back Torre if the Yankees failed to advance to the AL Championship Series. Cleveland then eliminated New York in four games, the Yankees' third straight first-round exit.

The Yankees also have not yet reached out to Ray Schulte, the agent for bench coach Don Mattingly.

Cashman did indicate a subtle shift in the Yankees' power structure. Asked whether the 77-year-old owner will pick the manager, the general manager responded: "The Boss owns the franchise, so obviously, the Boss, Hank and Hal Steinbrenner are obviously the ownership group that I answer to."

Before Wednesday's afternoon meeting, there was a morning session that also included senior vice president of baseball operations Mark Newman, scouting director Damon Oppenheimer and special adviser Gene Michael.

Cashman said the Yankees are maintaining their position that they will not negotiate with Alex Rodriguez if he terminates his $252 million, 10-year contract.

Rodriguez, who has three seasons left on the deal, must decide by the 10th day following the World Series.

"I can reaffirm that, if Alex Rodriguez opts out of his contract, then we will not participate in his free agency," Cashman said. "That is accurate and that is definitive."

Rodriguez met for three days this week in California with his agent, Scott Boras, to determine his strategy.

"He said he's comfortable playing in New York and enjoys it," Boras said. "However he has a right available to him that is solely in his discretion."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

6. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Awesomeness. Looks like Steinbrenner lost himself a stud.

Well, I guess we can start looking forward to seeing La Russa in pinstripes.

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

It would probably be that way even if he was offered a multi-year deal.

8. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

heres my theory: george wanted him out, they dont want a huge scene with steibrenner fired torre. on top of that torre was kind of tired of being in NY so they decided the easiest way is to have torre turn an offer down

dont ask me why i think that..just do

9. Lil Pun

Me and a friend were just discussing this last, how Torre should just say "F--- it bye" and go on his way. LOL! :D

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Has Joe Torre been successful anywhere else without a ridiculous payroll?

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I agree with this...Spin away my friend, spin away..

12. Lil Pun

No, not really.

13. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

It will be very interesting to see how the Yankees offseason will unfold.

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

He took the Braves to the 1982 NLCS where they lost to the Cardinals, but for the most part, not really.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Doubtful...a 4 year deal worth 20-25 million would have Torre right back there. A one year deal means a season full of speculation about Torre's future with the team...too much drama.

16. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Why would anyone opt out of a $252 million dollar deal?

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

[​IMG]

The pre-emptive breakup. George Costanza likes this idea.

#17 The Real Shady, Oct 18, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm betting on Girardi. I think he held out of Baltimore in anticipation of this opening. I think they'll go after Larusa first, but he'll want to much $.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

To sign one worth $30 million/year

20. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

oh god...