1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toronto Shopping Olajuwon?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ricealum, Jan 9, 2003.

1. ricealum

ricealum Contributing Member

Just when you thought the NBA was starting to make sense....

According to the latest Sports Illustrated, Toronto GM Glen Grunwald is shopping Hakeem Olajuwon, even though he has retired. Olajuwon is slated to make $12 million the next two years, and "teams may try to acquire him for players with longer contracts to gain cap room."

O-kaaaaaay..... :rolleyes:

2. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Thanks for sharing. :)

By the way, the Celtics aren't doing too great. Good thing they beat the Hornets, who aren't doing too great either. Who do you think will win when the Celtics play in Houston?

3. ricealum

LiTtLeY1521: "Who do you think will win when the Celtics play in Houston"

If history is a guide, the Rockets will beat the Celtics in Boston, then lose to them at home.... :rolleyes:

4. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Anyone else disappointed in Hakeem's "Im not really retired...just retired for the ceremony" game hes playing

It allows him to continue to collect the paycheck.

Come on Hakeem...You are classier than this.

5. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

Dreamshake, I have twelve million dollars for you to not play basketball....want it?

Come on he's classy, but he's also an astute business man, the money is rightfully his, given the contract, and for the life of me, I couldn't see him giving it up. Besides, wouldn't his salary still count against the cap, paid or unpaid?

One other thought, I've read on this board that Olajuwon's salary is paid by insurance, probably Lloyds of London, so it simply means the outragious policies that Lloyds writes in the future will now be a little more expensive. Of course, I imagine Yao is currently checking on a quote to insure the value of his face, I mean if Tub-of-goo Kemp is forced to guard Ming again, what's to say his next scratch-attach doesn't catch Ming on the cheek.

6. ricealum

land_sharks: "I imagine Yao is currently checking on a quote to insure the value of his face, I mean if Tub-of-goo Kemp is forced to guard Ming again, what's to say his next scratch-attach doesn't catch Ming on the cheek."

I hope he gets insurance before the next Jazz game. I'd hate to see Karla do something like this to him.

[​IMG]

7. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

I hate the JAZZ!!!!!!!!!!!

and Karla ought to be serving beer.........to Rockets fans.
    That is my PIPEDREAM! And I've read that all dreams are attainable. Unless, in the case of my casual pursuit of Jennifer Love Hewitt...it violates a restraining order.

8. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

The Fact that the Raps dont have to pay much of the salary isnt the classless part. The fact that he takes up valuable cap space is. He's purposely skirted the whole retirement issue.

Is he retired? I mean, he accepted his retirement ceremony at Houston.

Then why will he not officially retire.

Hakeem as a whole is classy.

Hakeem for taking the money, hiding behind his image, and skirting the issue is classless.