1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toronto, San Antonio talking Kawhi-DeRozan Swap (UPDATE: Done deal)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Lowry
    Green
    Kawhi
    Ibaka
    Jonas

Pretty solid in the weak East.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

NBA players have historically had extremely limited interest in living or playing there.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

What Kawhi did was way worse than what Tmac did lol. Not even close.

Reeko and Invisible Fan like this.
  5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

somewhere in a dark corner, zaza is laughing hysterically

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Can Kawhi teach Kyle Lowry how not to choke in the postseason? :D
    Or turn back the clock on Ibaka?

DonKnock and Snow Villiers like this.
  7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

[​IMG]

War Machine and DonKnock like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

I don’t see how it’s bad for Toronto. I like team’s taking gambles, and what did they really give up? The pick will be at the back end of the 1st round, Poeltl is nothing special, and Derozan is swapped with Kawhi. Kawhi will most likely leave, and if he does, then they can just start a rebuild. Teams feel emboldened after PG decided to stay in OKC after a year of recruitment. If they make the finals, and the organization makes a good impression on him, then who knows, maybe a miracle happens and Kawhi stays. If not, then oh well, at least they tried.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Because they won't win **** anyway, Poeltl and that 1st is basically no value, they swapped Kawhi with Derozan which is downgrade anyway, not being able to get OG is big here imo...anyway, LMA and Derozan is probably the worst all star fit out there and imo they should've rebuild, i understand it's not possible with Pop but well, i don't care about that ;)

12. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I think it’s a very risky proposition for Toronto. Pop definitely wanted an established star to avoid rebuilding in his last couple years before retirement. Very surprised Toronto was willing to do that considering Kawhi could bolt next offseason. He might not even suit up with that quad injury.

But I do agree that’s the only thing Toronto loses. Even the first round pick is trash. Protected 1-20 and becomes two second round picks the following year

13. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Good move for both sides. Spurs get rid of Kawhi and replace him with a really solid player in DeRozan. The Raptors get one of the best players in the NBA, and if he decides to leave next year (which is pretty much a certainty) then they finally get to hit the reset button.

DonKnock likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

There are so many factors here.

1) I don't think Lebron will be a top 5 player in 2019-2020. I don't know that I'm worried about a Lebron-Kawhi pairing that season - especially if Lebron is that old and Kawhi is that rusty and the Warriors will still be in their prime and have perfect chemistry.
    2) The difference between a Spurs supermax and signing outright in LAL next offseason is so gigantic that no amount of marketing and playing in a big city could effectively cover it.
    3) If you factor in the potential for him to sit out and get fined for games by the Raptors, he is losing even more money and the Raptors are saving.
    4) If he does play for the Raptors and stays professional, he can make it to the NBA finals and the Lakers will likely not. That can change a mind easily.
    5) Do Raptors players pay higher taxes than everyone else? If so, put that down as another loss in the financial department.
    6) Toronto is a great city. In terms of lifestyle and variety, probably better than anywhere outside of LA and NY. A finals appearance and a great lifestyle are hard to pass up. I've also heard that being the only team in a whole country, the marketing opportunities would disproportionately benefit a winning superstar in Toronto.
    7) Brandon Ingram is going to make another dramatic jump in improvement. If he improves defensively and offensively a little bit, he is already an All Star. By NEXT summer, if Kawhi doesn't perform and Ingram has improved a lot, the gap will not be so wide between these two players. It will be something to consider if it plays out that way.

I'm just glad one crucial year of Lebron's career is wasted, Kawhi is not on a team that can beat us, he is going East, and the Spurs will be improved but not good enough to beat us. I hope this goes through. It could be an ultimatum to Kawhi to accept a different deal. But I doubt the Raptors would risk alienating their best player if it weren't going to happen.

everyday eddie, Sadboy and mikol13 like this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

Imagine if Harden ever pulled a Kawhi. The media would be calling for the Rockets to void his contract and for the league to hit him with heavy penalties. Kawhi gets to skate on by tho...

Kawhi handled this so poorly, it’s amazing

16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

18. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

If Kawhi tries to sit out another season with a phantom injury, is there anything the Raptors can do?

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

@justtxyank

Let me get back (in part) on what i said, let's say it's a trade that doesn't move the needle for anybody, saying that it's bad is wrong, i ****ed up.

Spurs will somehow stay relevant but not contending and the Raptors will end up with a rebuild.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

It’s risky, but I love that they’re taking that risk. Kawhi can push them to the top of the EC, and they have a whole year to recruit him and sell him on the future of the organization. If they make the finals and do a good job recruiting then who knows, maybe a miracle happens and Kawhi stays. Toronto isn’t attracting stars in free agency, so this the only way they’re getting a player of this caliber. I would have done this deal all day over moving forward with Lowry and Derozan. They didn’t give up anything of importance, so if Kawhi leaves, then let the rebuild commence.