1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toronto, San Antonio talking Kawhi-DeRozan Swap (UPDATE: Done deal)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

The Spurs will be a solid team. I can see them winning in the mid 50s

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Not speculating about W/L this soon, but I agree that they'll be a solid team. They won't be pushovers at all.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  3. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

I hate this narrative so much. People are not upset at KD for "doing what is best for him" and I don't think anyone is upset at LeBron this time around. People are angry at KD because he joined a 73-win team that beat his team in the conference finals after being down 3-1. People wouldn't be nearly as upset if he'd joined any other franchise.

We all know loyalty isn't a two-way street in the NBA. But KD's move was about something else entirely.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

best friend? harden and DD grew up together in their younger days but their relationship isn't something thats been close to that level as of all these recent years.

5. esketit

esketit Member

welcome to the wild west

plutoblue11 likes this.
  6. francis 4 prez

poor dwayne casey. east gets rid of lebron. team trades a trash brother for kawhi leonard.

maybe it was just the few times i saw him, but pop should make poeltl look good. and SA's commitment to the mid-range grows even stronger.

toronto had to do this. we knew their derozan ceiling. it wasn't a title. this probably isn't either. but at least it's a chance. and if it doesn't work, you start rebuilding without derozan's salary.

i guess danny green was money not well spent at this point but i still think this hurts SA. i for one will be super glad to not have harden guarded by green or kawhi. green seemed magic at being just the right amount of annoying without fouling (and he might be the greatest fastbreak defender in league history, no hyperbole). derozan doesn't scare me, but maybe that's only when he's playing lebron.

san antonio accumulating 2 of the most iconic "stats without great impact because they take too many long 2's plus they have a huge salary" guys from history with gay and derozan. not sure who they should get next.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

i wonder if this trade happened before, had toronto kept casey instead of making him the scapegoat

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Surprised how many people are crying over a 1-dimensional player whose team cant get anywhere with him, being traded. Get over it. He can score when the pressure is off. Cool. NEXT.

francis 4 prez and RasaqBoi like this.
  9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

DeRozan is so over hyped by players and fans. I would be pissed if he was my main franchise player.

francis 4 prez likes this.
  10. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

You do know the Maple Leafs share the same stadium, In a nation where Hockey is the primary sport?

11. sew

sew Member

We love Deebo because he is the only star that has expressed interest in staying with us. Low standards, but that's the life of a Raptors fan.

12. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

You don't see it in baseball because star players really don't matter as much, Jose Altuve can only bat 4 to 5 times a game, Russell Westbrook can jack up 20 shots with impunity

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

star players in baseball definitely matter

14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Sheesh... Ujiri... I just looked into it further...

After the 2019-20 season... wanna know how much is guaranteed towards the cap?

$14,738,167

:confused::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Isn't that like 2-3 max contracts in space with the spikes in cap?

joshuaao and RasaqBoi like this.
  15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Why do you think more stars don’t try to head to Toronto? Management or just being in another country?

I would love to play there. Toronto is one of my fav places to visit. Fans are great out there.

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Ryan Anderson laughing on his yacht in Dubai at that money.

Capela has a gun to his head if you mention 14 mill.

17. Ivan K.

Ivan K. Member

Can't. believe. people are sleeping on this deal for Toronto. Derozan isn't an All Star in the Western Conference - just a good starter. He shoots an inefficient shot and is a sieve on the defensive end. Much worse than Harden. Kawhi Leonard is a top 5 MVP candidate and Lowry has been the best player on the Raptors since we traded him up there. Can ppl not see beyond the next few weeks? With TOR's collection of high upside young talent, you don't think they could pull a trade for a 3rd star by the trade deadline (eg. Anthony Davis/Kevin Love)? If Toronto gets past Boston and reaches the Finals, you don't think they have a shot of retaining Leonard?

Come on. Masai Ujiri is seriously underrated. How do they get past Boston with a healthy Hayward and Irving with Derozan on that team? You may as well take your swing this season and if it doesn't work out, you're set up for the rebuild that would've had to happen anyway.

18. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Raptors basically would have Norman Powell on payroll and some other guys lol. Makes sense why they only got VanFleet for two years.... sheesh.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

just bc he isn't an all star in the loaded western conference doesn't mean he isn't an all star caliber player. Because he is. Hes better than just good, just not as good as a superstar. He'll fit in just fine in SA with Pop once he moves on from the shock of the transition

RasaqBoi likes this.
  20. heypartner

heypartner Member

@Ivan K. True

Word is Pops was after Ujiri's young stars/better picks. And he held firm.