1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toronto Raptors have discussed boycotting games in wake of the Jacob Blake shooting?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HardenVolumeOne, Aug 25, 2020.

1. HardenVolumeOne

wasnt sure if i should have posted this here or the D&D

Yung-T, RayRay10 and FrontRunner like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Good. I hope that they do protest.

Some things are more important than sports and change is long over due.

3. Pringles

Pringles Member

That video was frustrating to watch, and for it to happen after the George Floyd protests from few months back - sickening.

Yung-T, RayRay10, juanm34 and 2 others like this.
  4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Despite everything you do, some people are just not going to change. I very much doubt a Toronto team boycotting the game in the EC semifinals in the NBA is going to change the minds of some police officers in Milwaukee.

Astrodome, RayRay10, juanm34 and 2 others like this.
  5. ksny15

ksny15 Member

It gets people talking more and more though. That’s important. That’s how we get change.

6. Nook

Nook Member

They don't have to change the minds of the current officers in Milwaukee or anywhere else.

They need to spur political and systemic change, and when the minds of the people.

Yung-T, dreamshakin, RayRay10 and 4 others like this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

We had protests nationwide in the middle of a pandemic, and still we get these shootings. I'm not against protests, but the boycott of games by players just seems too small, when compared with the scale of the BLM protests a few months ago.

And if the large scale protests didn't usher any change, I'm not sure a smaller scale boycott will change anything.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Juxtaposed Jolt

But the police should be priority one, when talking about BLM. I don't want to turn this into a D&D style thread, since I'm not debating that nothing should be done. I just feel like there's another way. What's that way, though? No idea.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I mean in the grand scheme of things yes it’s small but it still keeps the needed conversations going. Everything always starts small and just gathers momentum and grows. I hope the Raptors sit. Followed by more teams and eventually the league. Then you have other sports doing the same. People will have choice but to acknowledge and fix our issues with systematic racism in this country. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there still that think there isn’t much of a problem

Yung-T, DVauthrin and Patience like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Many of the officers will no longer be policemen in 5 years if the movement is successful.

DVauthrin, RayRay10, Patience and 2 others like this.
  11. Juxtaposed Jolt

I mean, I agree. But who is going to start talking (again) about BLM and police brutality, if the Raptors/Celtics decide to sit? The people watching the game at that time. The same audience who are already inundated with BLM, since it's always on the court, always on the players' jerseys, commercials during the games, etc.

So, the people who are watching game 1 already know what the NBA is trying to do, why certain phrases are on the back of jerseys. Point is, they would already have been talking about it.

I just feel like there has to be something bigger in scale. Honestly, I can see more nationwide protests again - especially so, since Covid is on the decline (I think).

I do hope though, that if the Raptors/Celtics boycott the game, all of the NBA will boycott their games. That's a stronger message than just 1 game.

ksny15 likes this.
  12. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Thats 100% the whole NBA boycotting would for sure send a stronger message. I hope that’s what happens but I ultimately don’t think it will happen. Are people really prepared to lose tons of money for the message? I guess we will see

13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

At the risk of getting flamed...what did the cops do wrong in that video? What I found frustrating watching it was another example of someone blatantly disregarding what the police were saying, after they already had weapons drawn (why that happened is a part of the story, but we don't know, so can't comment on whether there was any problem with that), getting into his car while they were trying to pull him back (apparently after being tazed), and reaching into the car. Their training is going to say...for a weapon? His actions certainly would make that a distinct possibility. If you haven't seen this video, you should watch it....awfully easy to criticize until you're in the situations they are. So, for all those who think this situation was outrageous or frustrating...what you would have done differently? Just let him reach into the car for a weapon? Really??? (Yes, I know we don't know that what he was doing...but neither do we know it wasn't). As the training video shows, its very hard for cops to make that split second judgement decision. Which makes it pretty stupid to put them in a situation where they have to, particularly if they already have weapons drawn. You know what would make these types of things pretty much disappear? Stop putting cops into situations where they have to take that type of action.

Yes, that doesn't seem to apply to the Floyd situation, and a few others...but most (and that term seems to imply this happens a lot...it doesn't. Too much, yes, but not a lot)) of them seem to be cops applying what they've been trained to do, because the other party took steps to put them in that situation. Given that, the solution seems pretty simple: don't put them in that situation. Why never any mention of that? Would this have happened had he not gotten into the car, when being told not to? No, it wouldn't have.

14. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Boycotting in support of people blatantly disregarding police? Is that the message? ??

pantherheat1022 and Duke Fan like this.
  15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Do riots need to happen again? That definitely got people's attention which was mixed in with peaceful protest. Lets be real here, if they are going to use their platform to make change, then boycotting a few games and canceling the NBA season is not going to cut it. Just reality.

Imagine, Republicans are currently in their convention using law and order as one of their sales pitch. It would also be useful to rethink the term "Defund" police because that's actually scaring people that do not bother to read.

Sorry for the D&D, I hope this topic is moved there, it's where it belongs.

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Just arrest the cops

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The point is that cops suck at de-escalating situations. Their training is flawed and more often than not, people of color are dead. It doesn't matter if they "didn't cooperate" because somehow the choice seems to be, pull your gun, kill the individual, ask questions later. It doesn't help that police have immunity, therefore, they don't necessarily have to deeply process the next step they will take.

It's unfair system that's been going on for decades, but it's only until recently that many individuals are getting exposed.

DVauthrin, sew, FrontRunner and 4 others like this.
  18. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Thank you for a measured response. Good points. Yes, a lot of time it is the training. So, yes, let's focus on those two thing (really the first one I think).

I'm ok with the police having immunity, when they're following their training. Blame lies elsewhere then. If they aren't following their training, then yes, indeed, prosecute them.

But there is still blame on both sides. It usually takes two side to escalate something, especially to this degree.

And, while I acknowledge your points....what would you have done once he reached into the car? It's kind of past the point of no return then. Yes, would love to see cops get better training on it not getting to that point. But doesn't some of that fall on the other side as well?

Jayzers_100 and Duke Fan like this.
  19. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

While I appreciate some of the CONCEPTS in 'defund the police', it is indeed defunding the police. The whole problem with the concept is that in order for it to be effective, spending actually needs to INCREASE first, to put some of the things they're proposing in place. But, none of them are doing that...just defunding. It's going to lead to problems, because that means less police while the other programs are getting spun up.

There are other issues besides that. We can discuss those, or save them for a different thread.

I do think focusing on police training is part of the President's agenda on law and order. I would think, objectively, everyone should think that is a good thing.

Duke Fan likes this.
  20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Here's the reality. You want special operations type experts in terms of ability (not the same training but the level of expertise). The reality is special operations spend 90-95% of their time training and 5-10% in the field. Police are the total opposite. They spend 95% of their time in the field and 5% training. It all comes down to money. Cities don't have the budgets to have their police officers spending the time in training they need. They are stretched thin and are working massive amounts of overtime. Not to mention, what kind of masochist do you have to be to sign up to be a police officer in this current environment? It's going to get worse in certain areas because the cadet pool is going to be watered down.

I also would bet if you screened all the street cops in the most dangerous cities in this country the number of officers with PTSD would be off the charts... but they are all hanging on to get to that retirement.

FrontRunner and Invisible Fan like this.