1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top Ten Movies By Type: Film Noir

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MacBeth, Oct 30, 2003.

1. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

This is one of my favorite genres, although purists will note that I have stretched the definition somewhat;

1) The Maltese Falcon: Probably the most perfect film ever made, brilliant acting by an amazing cast, incredible plot and dialogue very true to Hammet's novel, and perfect direction and pace. Wouldn't change a single second...I have shown this film to kids as young as 15, and even they loved it. If you haven't seen it, take a night off, curl up with the lights low, and treat yourself to one incredible film.

2) The Third Man: Greene's novel set brilliantly to film, with an at the time original and intriguing use of the title character as a semi-mythical shadow for most of the movie. Taut, exciting, and Welles at his best.

3) Chinatown: Twisted plot about twisted people in a twisted town, with Nicholson doing what he does best, Huston being uber-creepy, and Polanski in a small but memorable cameo, this is the film that brought film noir back to the mainstream.

4) Casablanca: Am unsure if I feel that this belongs on the list, as I see it as more of a romance, and the angles and lighting often defy film noir standards, but it's close enough. Many would rank it higher if they did include it, and it might be the most oft-quoted and memorable film ever of any type, but as a film noir, I'd rank it below those above. Can't go wrong with Bogart, Bergman, Lorre, Greenstreet and Raines...Side note, it's most famous line never took place.

5) L.A. Confidential: Exceptional film dominated by the performances of the three leads, Pierce, Spacey, and especially Crowe. Very true, for the most part, to Elroy's novel, which is itself a great read. Fast paced and action packed, and tense as a first time expectant father.

6) Touch of Evil: Great, often overlooked film which contains one of the most innovative and famous opening sequences in the history of film. Welles, again, shows his perfect feel for this genre, Leigh is sexy as hell, and Heston puts in a surprising performance.

7) The Big Sleep: The best film noir actor ever combines with the writer most suited to the genre, an introduction to one of the most effective on screen pairings in film history, and enough shadows, smokescreens and plot twists to keep most guessing till the end.

8) The Killers: Amazingly tense film with an incredible cast, inculding Lancaster's debut, this adaptation of Hemingway is the best translation of his work to the film medium. apologies to Tracy and Cooper.

9) The Night of the Hunter: Mitchum puts in one of the scariest performances in the history of film, and the pace is perfect for this chase flick. Hidden gem that many have never seen or even heard of.

10) To Have and Have Not: Bogey and Bacall again, this time during the war, with shades of Casablanca...He's simply the best at this stuff.

Honourable Mention: Double Indemnity, the Desperate Hours, Key Largo, Notorious, Thief, and almost anything Bogey did besides African Queen or Sierra Madre...

2. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

And the brightest sewers in the history of cinema.

I don't know that I would consider this Welles at his best. He's barely in the film (and though he , though he did get to say one of the best lines he ever said on film: "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Very good movie. Certainly Carol Reed at his best.

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

With no disrespect to some of the original films that started the genre, I really like some of the newer films like L.A. Confidential

I finally saw, for the first time, Mulholland Drive this past week and absolutely loved it. Probably the best film I've seen since Donnie Darko. Actually....I think I like it better.

Others I really like:

Fargo
    Se7en
    Blue Velvet
    Chinatown (as mentioned)
    War of the Roses

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Of these I've only seen The Third Man and L.A. Confidential.

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Film Noir is my favorite genre.

You left my favorites off the list, however.

The Postman Always Rings Twice (the original, not the cheesy Nicholson remake)

and

Double Indemnity...you never saw Fred MacMurray like this!

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A great list, MacBeth. I might argue somewhat about which should be included in the top ten, as well as the order, but a great list. I loved every one of them.

I'll have to think some before I make more comments, but I still think L. A. Confidential was Crowe's best work. There were about 4 or 5 performaces from that movie that deserved best supporting actor nominations. Crowe's was incendiary.

7. Buck Turgidson

The Killing, Sunset Boulevard, The Usual Suspects, Strangers on a Train, and The Grifters definitely deserve mention.

8. Buck Turgidson

Agreed, I think years from now that film will be considered one of the all-time greats. Cromwell's performance is incredible.

9. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Forgot Seven, which should have made the Hon. Mention. Velvet and Fargo, for me, I find so hard to seperate from their directors, but were I to include any Coen Bros. on the list it would be Blood Simple. I didn't include any semi-comedic films, like WoR, or Gould's the Long Goodbye, etc.

10. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Postman was great, Hon. Mention....Double made my Hon. list, although I recognize it as significant more than I enjoyed it, as to me the dialoge often seemed to fall flat.

11. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

I realized a year or so ago that Crowe had become among my favorite actors without my realizing it, as he was in my favorite movie, or close, in 3 of 4 straight years. I thought he was incredible in L.A. Con, although to me his Insider performance was his best.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Someone shoot me if you ever catch me calling a movie a 'film'.... ;)

13. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

The Killing I see as more of Kubrick's coldplay rather than film noir, although he is among my two favorite directors, so I', always willing to include him in any list...:)

Never likedd Sunset, although I am a minority on that one...Forgot Suspects, which might even make the top ten, if you qualify it. Great, great film...Strangers was excellent, although I felt that if you are going to include Hitchcock( my other favorite director), you can either include a whole bunch, like Rear Window, Vertigo, etc., or none...or just his most obvious ones, like Nototrious, which to me was his most obvious use of the genre...Grifters was among my favorite films from that year, and it should be on Hon. mention...Most of the fun of these lists is to be reminded of what you have forgotten.

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

What exactly is "Film Noir"?

15. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

yeah, which is part of the reason that that piece of crap Titanic winning the Oscar was such a joke...L.A. was clearly the best, although I'd even have been satisfied if Good Will or As Good As It Gets had beaten the ship that wouldn't sink soon enough...

16. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

LA Confidential is a film that I hold near and dear, simply because scenes were shot in two of my favorite watering holes while I lived in Los Angeles...the Formosa Cafe (where Kevin Spacey mistook the real Lana Turner for a fake one) and the Frolic Room (the place with the mural where Kevin Spacey was drinking alone). I used to get trashed at both of those places on a regular basis.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I have to agree with LA Confidential, it was an incredible movie, the acting was about the best you could have. I think it had one of the best casts of the last few decades along with A Time to Kill.

18. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Why? It's the original name, the recognized field of study of same, and "movie" is only a commercialized adaptation. Counter-pretension can be it's own form of snobbery when it's used on the same form as pretension, with the same intent...

19. Buck Turgidson

Amen. Is there a worse Oscar pick in recent memory? Seriously, I can't think of one that comes remotely close to Titanic over LA...

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

"Hello? Old lady from Titanic? You Stink! hehehehe"

(ponders the irony of that episode including Kim Basinger)