1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top Blown Rocket Championship Runs..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jimmyv281, Nov 8, 2012.

1. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

How do you lose a game 7 at home to your rival Utah Jazz while having the league's top big man ( Yao ) a solid defense scheme ( Van Gundy/ Tom T.) and at the time an all star perimeter player in Tracy. A rebounding monster in Chuck Hayes and great glue guy in Shane B. It would ultimatley cost Van Gundy his job and mark the end of the Yao and Mc Grady show in Houston, proving it was their last real shot at it together being healthy and in their prime. Was Jerry Sloan's team really better thank us? I have a hard time believing this...

I would like to read any other championship playoff runs that come to mind of the great, wise and powerful clutch fans.. Its always great to read from you guys!

[​IMG]

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

uhhhh.... Tinman I'll let you take this one...

3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

4. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

6. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Anybody want to talk about the culture of unrealistic expectations, and about players like Charles Barkley, Houston Rocket and Scottie Pippen, Houston Rocket?

Yeah, me neither. Best to just pretend none of that ever happened. Or at least treat it as a cautionary tale that teams like the 2012-2013 Lakers could learn from.

7. rocketsqtc

rocketsqtc Member

I was at that game and we couldn't get a freakin' rebound to save our lives.

'93 Semis against the Sonics come to mind with the BS call at the end. '05 Mavs with Barry getting stripped from someone (Finley?) standing from out of bounds in game 5. I was at that game and was screaming for that.

8. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

9. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

not our fault.. but the debacle that was the Rockets vs Mavericks and we were up 2-0 on the road iirc. If it wasn't for Donaghy/Stern, that team could've went far.

10. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

[​IMG]

11. alethios

alethios Member

Don't forget Cuban's role in that debacle. He was really stricken with WBMS (Whiny b**** Man Syndrome).

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When you can't win a first round series, you are not a contender.

The only blown Championships were 81 and 86 cause we were 2 games away from the nba championship.

not like 13-15 games away.

You people need to learn math.

Almost
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not Even F KING CLOSE
    [​IMG]

#12 tinman, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It also marked the end of the Head show in Houston.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You have to be favourites or ahead in the NBA Finals to blow a championship, we never came close in the T-Mac/Yao era.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

van gundy deserved to lose his job, he traded gay for battier and he had no offense and no athletecism against what was basically a two man team. he blew tracy's one legit shot outside of tracy's first season here.

and yes, tinman is correct although i have to go 93'. i was watching a replay of that game in 93 last year and didn't realize sleepy floyd was still a rocket

16. tinman

Supporting Member

What people are getting confused with is Fantasy Basketball, yes Tracy and Yao were fantastic Fantasy players back in the day.:p

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

To me the whole Yao/Mcgrady era is more and more heartbreaking in hindsight. '05, '07, '09 all fell incredibly short of their potential and to think that we didn't even sniff a Finals appearance with arguably the top big man and top wing scorer in the league is tough. At the time of the '05 and '07 losses, we thought we still had a huge window ahead of us so it wasn't quite as devastating in the grand scheme of things (despite very tough game 7 losses).

It would have been amazing to see what Morey could have put around those two if he had been here and in charge at the beginning.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

That season had me on a roller coaster.

That damn BS call vs San Antonio when Robinson tipped in the ball like 30 minutes after the game was over really really screwed us.

We owned Seattle at the Summit.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

The worst game 7s in Rockets history.

game 7 vs the Mavericks, I thought we had the momentum after winning game 6. I though it would be a classic like Rockets/Suns in the 90s.

No, we got ran over like a truck. I don't care about what the refs did before. We made it to game 7, we controlled our own destiny.

game 7 vs Utah at home. This one disgusted me for about a week. How the hell did we lose at home? That was the series where I questioned if we could win with that team and coach. That loss sent the franchise backwards.

20. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

not sure if you can count 86 as "blown" since that was arguably the best Celtic team of all time. And if we want to get technical.. you can only count 81 and 86 since that's the only other times we made it and lost. So yeah I'll count the year the playoffs were rigged... who's to say what would have happened if it wasn't.