1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 5 reasons I hate the Mavericks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mollamar, May 24, 2011.

1. mrm32

mrm32 Member

We've only played the Mavs once in the playoffs this decade.

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I really feel a massive indifference towards the Mavericks unless the Rockets are playing them. Am I doing this wrong?

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Glen Rice was once a good player, he was more like Glen Ramen when he came to the Rockets.

Who else are you going to say was a great Rockets acquisition? Sam Mack?

4. TheresTheDagger

Weighing in here...

Always been a Mav's hater. But if they get to the finals against Miami, I may actually a root for them. Dunno....hard to decide who I hate more....Cuban or Lebron....

The good news is if it really IS Dallas vs. Miami, I win no matter who wins. If Dallas wins, then LeEgo is denied a title again. If Miami wins, then Dallas gets rejected AGAIN and I get to laugh and point at Dallas fans (including my buddy--see below).

Having said that:

I hate Cuban for crying to the league office about Yao's "moving screens" in that 2005 playoffs. It really helped turn that series around and royally pissed me off.

Dallas fans are among the most smug fans I've ever seen. The way they defended the calls in that horrendously officiated 2005 series left a bad taste in my mouth. Then in 2006 to turn around and complain about bad officiating vs. Miami. Hypocrites.

But the MAIN reason I hate the Mavs is because my lifelong friend who WAS a big Rox fan with me during the title run years moved to Dallas and became a Mavs fan and doesn't follow Houston any more. Don't like it...don't care who knows it. Still pisses me off. He also knows when the Rox eventually become good and the Mavs drop off that he is NOT WELCOME on our bandwagon.

5. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

Good point. Perhaps if Dallas moves to, say, Ponka City I'll be able to think about liking them.

6. mollamar

Ok. There are many issues with this reply. While I applaud your enthusiasm, I have two points:
    1) Is your corn turd getting a lot of attention? Perhaps flusing your toilet, or, ick, pulling up your pants would solve that issue.
    2) You managed to use the word "w****" twice, although in your second instance, I am not sure if you meant to be clever by combinging it with horse or if you just can't spell. In any case, settle down man. It's only basketball afterall.

7. mollamar

I think that this is the most well reasoned response of the entire thread so far. I agree -- Dirk is playing at a higher level than I have seen him play before. And as for Cuban -- look, I wish I had the vision / luck to build a company, sell out for a billion dollars, and then buy my hometown sports team. Cuban is not just living the dream, he's living MY dream.

That said, where I differ from the sentiment you expressed is that I see teams as a going concerns, brands, or whatever. They are living entities rather than a temporal collection of players and personalities. That is why, despite Terry and Dirk being the only two players left from the 2005 series (though they were probably the biggest factors in our loss), I can think of this Mavs team as some new group against whom I shouldn't hold my grudge.

8. mollamar

Glen Rice? Really? In the same breath as Pippen and Barkley. Isn't that a bit of a stretch?

9. mollamar

Damn it, you stole my next thread idea. Ok, here it goes:

Top 5 reasons I hate the Bobcats:
    1) Their mascot sounds like a high school team. From Glee.
    2) They traded Chandler to the Mavericks when the Rockets were desperate, DESPERATE for a defensive minded rim protecting center.
    3) Their terrible financial performance and management over the past 5 years contributed to the huge gap between the league and the players in the new CBA negotiations. Basically, I am saying that because they signed a horrible TV and stadium name deal, we may have a lockout next year.
    4) yeah, I really can't think of 5 reasons to hate this team.
    5) nope, still can't.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm actually hoping that the Mavs win it all, and it has nothing to do with them being a Texas team. They're a team that's been good for a very long time without a ring to show for it, they've been doubted for so long, and they're an older team that's reaching the end of their shelf life. That's why I support them.

OKC, CHI, and MIA all have many years left to win championships.

11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

glen rice was not that bad and was a good addition at the time..come on man we are talking about glen rice. The guy was good and if he didnt have plantar whatever the hell its called he might have just killed it for us...anyway just another example of les stepping to the plate.

other acquisitions that come to mind -artest, martin ,both more high caliber players, les stepping to the plate.

So for those scoring at home that's drexler, barkley, pippen, francis, artest, glen rice,mutumbo, mcgrady, martin et al.

vs.
    caron butler, marion, stoykavic,chandler, kidd,half dead rodman.. umm I'm starting to draw a blank.. darrell armstrong when he was 100?stackhouse ?Loy vaught? umm ahhhahaha...:eek:

Fail on the bobcat comparison since there are threads about hating the jazz. We are allowed to have teams we dont like.. although I wouldn't even give dallas that much credit. they are nothing.

I'm not even clear what your point is in the this thread tinman? I think it might be best if you just stop posting here. please tinman, stop underscoring the reality that even someone who tries to somehow argue in favor of dallas, on any level, automatically just sucks.Its a funnel towards suckdom..dont fall for it.. its not doing much for your clutch city bbs persona. Might I suggest a trade - tinman and anna megan to the dallas mavericks bbs for a $30,000 millionaire and a douchebag to be named later?come on tinman you are better than that. maybe maybe not?

12. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Though no longer a factor, I really hated Josh Howard and his dirty plays. Loved it when Sura got tired of it, took up for our team and through him to the ground. That was epic.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

never said you don't have to like dallas,but they are in the position you wish your team was in.

the western conference finals and a chance to win a title.

I'm not going anywhere dude, 99ers are the Knights Templar of Clutchfans.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I totally agree with what you are saying, but...

Asian? :cool:

15. davestrate

davestrate Member

I HATE THEIR FANS, even though some I can call friends? When it comes to their sports teams they become completely different people (self absorbed, arrogant, and plain a55 holes), especially about their Mavs without a reason because they haven't won ***** and hope they never do. :mad:

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The only five reasons you truly hate them are:
    1. They beat us in one series and you're jealous of their success
    2. They beat us in one series and you're jealous of their success
    3. They beat us in one series and you're jealous of their success
    4. They beat us in one series and you're jealous of their success
    5. They beat us in one series and you're jealous of their success

People here act way too immature when opponents beat us. :rolleyes:

17. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

lmao

ror

18. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Man I am sorry but these "reasons" to hate the Mavs are ridiculous. I guess everybody has their reasons but to say you must hate the Mavs or you are not a true Rockets fan really pisses me off.

You have people hating on Cuban because he tries to "buy championships," WTF do they think Miami is trying to do this year?

You have people hating on Dallas fans, do not know any Dallas fans but I am sure they are classier than Maimi's trashy bandwaggoning fans (those "**** you Chuck" chants left a bitter taste in my mouth).

You have people hating on Dirk's hair/face/facial expressions (wtf? lol). At least he is classier than LeBron/Wade/Bosh with their crazy celebrations following every game.

This is getting ridiculous now.

19. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

lmao bunch of hypocrites

20. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

You are just manipulating the truth to prove your point...
    They've won at least 60 percent of their games for the past decade. That's quite the accomplishment.
    The players are doing their job also. No reason to justify Ellie working there and not the players. If the players were to be traded to Houston, and Cuban buys the team...would you still be a rockets fan? It seems like deep down your only reason for hating Dallas is because they are in Dallas, and if that's the case I don't know what to say.
    Part of the reason is they aren't the most dislikable team in the NBA right now. I hate to see free-throw shooting contest between the Heat and the Thunder in the NBA finals. Both teams are just annoying....I mean, how can you stand this:
    [​IMG]
    of this:
    <object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BhEb7TcHLAE?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BhEb7TcHLAE?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>