1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 5 players in the league entering the 2009/2010 season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by glimmertwins, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Chamillionaire

lebron
    kobe
    wade
    paul
    howard
    dirk
    duncan
    carmelo
    bosh
    roy
    kg
    durant
    deron williams
    nash
    gasol
    amare
    al jefferson
    parker
    paul pierce
    vc

2. BizzleRocket

BizzleRocket Member

Oh and here would be my Top 15 players just to add for the hell of it.

1. Kobe
    2. LeBron
    3. Wade
    4. Paul
    5. Duncan
    6. Yao
    7. Dwight
    8. Dirk
    9. Deron
    10. KG
    11. Roy
    12. Melo
    13. Gasol
    14. Billups
    15. Parker

3. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

1)Wade
    2)Lebron
    3)CP3
    4)Kobe
    5)Roy

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

1) Kobe
    2) LeBron
    3) Wade
    4) Duncan
    5) Yao

Yao's position would me much higher, if he were more aggressive, there are times where he is simply unstoppable. Then, there are games where he barely takes any shots at all and ends up with like 8 points.

If only Yao had that "leader" mentality...

5. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

< Kobe fan but I'll admit LeBron is the best player in the league coming into 09/10..

1. LeBron
    2. Kobe
    3. Wade
    4. Paul
    5. Howard..

I don't know how you don't have Paul or Howard on your list... Paul is New Orleans... we all know Dwight helped his team reached the finals last season and even though they lost... he's still easy the best center in the game today. The first 3 are automatic.

6. RedRedemption

I based my list on who can really lead their team. Kobe has shown many times that in late-game situation he can take over, regardless of whether he's cold or hot.

LeBron, so far, is very inconsistant in the late-game stretch compared to Kobe.

Paul is overrated.

Howard has no offensive game.

7. ItsMyFault

Yeah... well that's a different approach I guess... I'm basing my list on sole talent and overall play.... not really leadership...

Nonetheless.. it's a joke to have Yao in that list....

I don't know how you think Paul is overrated....

Howard has no offensive game? Yet he puts up similar numbers to Yao... he has a better stat line than Yao does.... Talking about leadership... Howard led his team to the finals... In my opinion, Yao didn't even lead us to the 2nd round... I think it was a whole team play, even though Yao may have been the leader all season... he wasn't the leader in the playoffs for us.

8. El Hitman

El Hitman Member

I know that this post has nothing to do with the thread, but I don't have the power to post my own threads so I have to bum off of this guys. Sorry dude. Anyway...I just wanted to let you guys know that Chris Wilcox the ex Sonic has been going to my job quite regularly. I work at Michael's International, its a gentleman's club off of 59 and Hillcroft. I'm a manager there. Anyway...he's been going like every two weeks with some other guys that just got drafted. He's pretty cool and laid back. He's always trying to score some ass while he's there so I try to point him in the right direction...ha ha :D . I've asked him a couple of questions you know about the league and stuff, but I try to leave him alone most of the time.

Anyway if you guys ever wanna stop by...send me an email or a private message so we can chat. :cool:

Thanks

miguelarvizodm@yahoo.com

9. RedRedemption

Umm, you are a member. You should be able to post threads. :)

10. BizzleRocket

BizzleRocket Member

So you are just talking about production now? Keep in mind, Karl Malone has better production numbers offensively than Tim Duncan, but I'd take Tim Duncan's offensive game over Karl Malone any day of the week, Learn the game before talking.

Dwight is not a Top 5 player.

11. ItsMyFault

Wait what?.... lol... I'm not understanding what you're saying...

EDIT: Oh, I get it... you're a YOF. I won't bother...

12. BizzleRocket

BizzleRocket Member

Lol, Yeah I am a YOF, I've just been following the Rockets around since the late 80s. But I'm a YOF. :rolleyes: I like Yao, but I'm a Rocket fan first.

Anyways, Production doesn't always tell the story, otherwise Kobe Bryant isn't even a Top 3 player. Let's face it, You say Dwight produces just as much as Yao does, More actually. So are Dwyane Wade and LeBron James better scorers than Kobe too? I mean they produce more than Kobe too.....Don't be a hypocrite.

13. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

As for Dwight Howard. This guy is probably the best center in the game now, but that doesn't mean he is great. Sure, he has unbelivable body and his athleticism is amazing, but he has a lot of weaknesses too.

His biggest adventages are his strength, quickness and of course jumping ability. He is the best defender in the game now and you can't take that away from him. He deserved it. The way he is blocking all those shots is really spectacular.

But... Let's not overrate his offensive game. Right now he lives on dunks, layups, offensive rebounds, alley-oops and stuff like that. But one on one, back to the basket his repertoire is impecunious. I can even risk saying that he has no one on one game back to the basket. He has shown it in the Finals.

I remember one guy from TNT (don't remember who is that) said he would give him 3/10 for his play on the block on the offensive end.

BUT... This guy is still a kid. He needs to stop living in the weight room and start doing some exercises in the gym (with the ball) with Ewing. Because right now he lacks a lot on the offensive side on the court.

14. BizzleRocket

BizzleRocket Member

Well, Let me ask you this question, If Yao Ming was currently healthy would he be better than Dwight Howard?

And No, in my opinion either Kevin Garnett or Tim Duncan are the best defenders in the league and then Shane Battier and then there's Dwight Howard. Dwight Howard is an incredibly poor individual, 1 on 1, post defender.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao dominates Dwight head to head:)

DOMINATES

16. BizzleRocket

BizzleRocket Member

Yep, It's one thing that backs up Yao, but there are more reasonings as well. Usually Jon Barry defends me in this debate so did Jamal Mashburn. Jeff Van Gundy did say Dwight had the better season last season, but he would build his team around Yao over Dwight.

What's your take? :)

17. ItsMyFault

WeMissDekeMan... you just need to let that Yao love go... he's an injury-prone center who had potential to grab that throne of being the best center in the game... Dwight is better now... just accept that. ;)

18. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

As of right now, that throne still belongs to Shaq. Nobody has emerged as the next great center.

I think Yao is better than Dwight. Better offensively, better defensively, better passer. He is better (as in more refined) in every category except rebounding and shotblocking.

He domiantes Dwight everytime heads up. You can build your team around Yao but you cannot build your team around Dwight.

19. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I wouldn't even call Dwight the #1 reason they made the finals. He was a major reason but the outside shooting for Lewis/Turkoglu was the main reason

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can't go to Dwight in the 4th quarter.

Discounting injuries and age, I take Yao...