1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 5 players in the league entering the 2009/2010 season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by glimmertwins, Jul 24, 2009.

1. kaninthy

kaninthy Member

Juicy who would you chose between the two? In my opinion I would chose Yao just because he is more polished got both offense and defense. Even Shaq gives Yao some props. Everyone here would love to see Yao as dominate as Shaq or dunk like Dwight but come on he a 7'5" asian guy that grew up playing ball in China. I pretty sure if Yao grew up playing ball here in the states he would have a total different approach to playing ball.

2. whatevar93

whatevar93 Member

10 years? You really think that? Did Dwight even start playing basketball at 13? They signed Ewing just 2 years ago and Howard has shown signs of improvement. MJ didn't have his crazy midrange game and fadeaway until his later years. Even if it's not the best post game ever, if you combine a decent post game with Howard's athleticism he's going to be something else.

Wade and Kobe were pretty much equal last season. Wade will probably surpass Kobe by this upcoming season. CP3 is also on the verge of surpassing Kobe.

If you picked D-Will over CP3 knowing what CP3 is capable of, you'd be one of worst GM in the history of basketball. He put up the greatest statistical season for a poing guard in the history of the nba.

3. kaninthy

kaninthy Member

If you picked D-Will over CP3 knowing what CP3 is capable of, you'd be one of worst GM in the history of basketball. He put up the greatest statistical season for a poing guard in the history of the nba.[/QUOTE]

I dont think you would be the worst GM in history of basketball if you chose Deron over CP3 those two are the 1 and 2 top point guards in the league right now. That honor is already given to GM of the trailblazers that picked Bowie over MJ.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

lol... You knew Durvasa would rank Dwight over Yao... you just wanted to tell him he's wrong...

You can't just tell someone they're wrong just because they're not a YOF like you... they're entitled to their opinion.

5. BizzleRocket

BizzleRocket Member

I still believe he'll comeback better, Big Z did last I checked, made a couple of ASGs.

But T-mac is more done than ever.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I can't believe there are STILL people who like Deron over Paul in this world after what Paul's been doing the last two years. I mean seriously? I really can't think of a reason. Deron is bigger? It just FEELS like he could be better because he's bigger? I really don't get it. Chris Paul does almost everything better than Deron. EVERYTHING. The difference between Paul and Deron is about the same as the difference between Lebron and Danny Granger, statistically.

7. Garner

Garner Member

The 5 guys I'll go out of my way to watch:

1. Kevin Durant
    2. Lebron James
    3. Dwayne Wade
    4. Kevin Garnett
    5. Brandon Roy

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There should be a thread just for this subject. Completely agree with you except I would replace KG with Derrick Rose.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

What you don't take into account is, Yao does not rely on athleticism or footwork to be efficient. Have you see Yao post up? He is completely stationary. He rarely drives, or dunks, and I doubt his hookshot or baseline fade would be affected that much post-injury.

Now, if Howard had a nagging foot problem, that would completely destroy his career.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What you don't take into account is that if Yao comes back any slower than he was, it will greatly diminish his ability to do anything: Score, rebound and defend. He can't afford to lose another step. To say he doesn't rely on footwork or athleticism AT ALL is incorrect. Because of his height, he can still be effective despite being slow. But being any slower would make Yao easy to guard. Being slower would make Yao a defensive liability.

If this foot problem is nagging, Yao's career is toast. He's hoping for the miracle that happened to Big Z. Nagging foot problems kill huge players like Yao.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's how I look at it as well. That Yao is slow and unathletic to begin with doesn't mean he doesn't need what little quickness and athleticism he has. Actually, it makes what he has (or had) more precious.

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yeah, that's how I'm looking at it also... nobody knows how Yao is going to come back... I mean he could realistically become the next Z.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Dead on. And in reverse, if Yao had just a teensy bit more quickness, he would be in another category on offense and defense.

I posted 2-3 years ago (without considering the injuries he would have later) that Yao wouldn't be worth a max extension in 2010 or 2011 because the aging process would have robbed him of speed and his effectiveness would dive. I still feel this way even if the surgery is 100% successful in preventing another broken foot.

14. kaninthy

kaninthy Member

Lebron- If no lebron cavs suck
    Kobe- If no kobe lakers not championship team
    Wade- No wade heat would suck big time and would of not won a ring
    Paul- No paul hornets would be in the bottom of west conf
    Nash- No nash suns look dazed and confused

that my top 5 because without those players on their respected teams their teams would all be lottery bound. that is why i did not chose kg,duncan,yao,durant,dwight, etc..