1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 4 pick or Bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackwell, Jan 17, 2021.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would say there is not a persistent culture, it got nothing to do with potentials of future drafts.

The culture before Silas was Harden and Morey.

A happy, go, lucky, shoot 3s and layups.

chadyang, Plowman and Trackwell like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You can do the same thing with the entire 1st round what's your point?

HP3 likes this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You forgot to put an asterisk next to Anthony Bennett if you want to edit your post.

Wulaw Horn and Easy like this.
  4. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Word!

5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Tanking is loser talk! o_O

6. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

It’s the best move for the franchise at this moment talk

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If the goal is to win a championship, you definitely need a top 10 player. Of course, you also need all star level guys next to him too. But it's that one guy that is the most important. If you don't have that, odds are you won't sniff championship any time soon.

My point is, chances of getting that kind of player through top 4 picks are still quite slim. It takes a lot of luck. And if you have luck, there are plenty of franchise level player you can get with lower picks. Is it worth it to put your team in the dumpster just to have a higher probability to get a top 4 pick?

#867 Easy, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes. You don't have to actually use the picks to draft players. You can use them as trade assets. That's pretty much Morey's M.O. However, a pick's value increases when it is more clear that it will be in a high position.

The problem with tanking for this season is that we have to be lucky enough to hit the top 4. Even if you are among the worst 3 teams, you only have a 52% chance. As things are, it is very difficult to out-tank teams like Minny, Detroit, Washington, Orlando, Chicago, and Cleveland. You do want your young players such as Wood, Nwaba, Tate, and Brown to do well. You don't want to trade away promising players just for an unknown result of tanking.

That's the whole point of @DCkid's posts. How are you actually DO the tanking without devaluing your own players or giving up assets? I have yet to seen a viable strategy spelled out. Basically it's trading Dipo, Gordon, Wall, Tucker... and who else?

How are you going to trade Wall's and Gordon's terrible contracts without taking back other terrible contracts or giving up loads of assets? You can only trade players for picks to teams that are under the cap, which is very few. Getting a bad contract for a worse player may make the team worse for the tanking purpose but it also defeat the rebuilding goal. Giving up assets is the exact opposite of what we want to do.

Basically the contradiction of tanking is this: You need to be bad to gain assets. But need to get rid of current assets (good players) to achieve being bad. So you give up something that is known for something that is unknown.

bumbum09 likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That's exactly my point. Thank you.

hakeem94 and bumbum09 like this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

Uhhh, caveat here, you cant actually. The odds get worse as you go down the drafting order. The TOP 4 picks even with the low relative odds are generally the highest when you are trying to draft your superstar. You are going to have way more dude's who are busts and dont even amount to rotational players outside the top 4 than not.

11. dmoneybangbang

I only speak for myself but I posted a thread with my "bottoming out" strategy: https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/...to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-rebuild.310283/

The details are less important than the overall point so I don't see a contradiction at all. Going the draft picks route doesn't require us to immediately be bad. You're right that we need Dipo, Gordon, and Tucker playing good and Wall too. However, due to their respective contracts they all aren't on the same timeline. Then you have to take into account when we have and don't have our picks or what the protections are. Therefore, the strategy would happen in stages.

luckyman76, Easy and HP3 like this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

Also Nwaba and Gordon can be moved i believe,

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I understand that. I was answering to his question TBH kind of pointless. The point of my post he referred to was that even if you are lucky enough to get a top 4 pick, the chances of landing a franchise player is quite low. Is it worth it?

1. How likely will be out-tank half of about 6 bad teams?
    2. The probability of out-tanking them and being one of 3 worst teams gives you a 52% chance of getting a top 4 pick.
    3. The likelihood of picking a franchise type player with a top 4 pick is about 15%.
    The problem of tanking this season is the swap with OKC. If you don't get a top 4 pick, which isn't a very high percentage chance, the whole tanking is a waste, not to mention helping OKC. If it wasn't for the swap, tanking might actually be worth it because even if you didn't win the lottery, you still got a high enough pick to have a good chance to get a good player.

And there is the fact that it is totally possible to pick a franchise player outside of the top 4. My post shows that about 3 of the current top 10 players (Curry, Jokic, Kawhi) were not top 4 picks. Why do we want to devalue our team to get a dubiously higher (but still quite low) probability of landing a franchise player?

JayGoogle and hakeem94 like this.
  14. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

Anybody see Kuminga make his D league debut ? He is who I want !

sydmill likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you don't really have a point.

Are you really trying to say it does not matter where you pick in the draft?

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Just tie with OKC, lol. Wait, do they get to give the Rockets' to pick belonging to Miami and bump the Rockets down? I forgot the specifics...that would suck.

18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

We have no shot of getting top3. Too many team vying for that four spot

19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Cleveland got involved in the harden trade because they wanted to come te for a playoff spot. Look how well that turned out

20. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

We will when it’s all set a done