1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 10 Rockets of All Time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Nov 6, 2003.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

1. Hakeem Olajuwan - Center, 1 league MVP, 2 Championship MVP’s, arguably the greatest center of all time. Brought 2 NBA championships to Houston. With out question the most dominant center of his era.

2. Moses Malone - Hall of Fame Center, 3 league MVP’s, 1 finals MVP (with the 76er), arguably the greatest center of all time and the greatest center of his era…with all due respect to Kareem. Single handedly took the Rockets to it’s first NBA finals and completely dominated Kareem in the process.

3. Rudy Tomjanovich - Small Forward, one of the better 3’s of his era. Played in the Rockets 1st ever NBA championship series with Moses Malone and Calvin Murphy. He was the coach for the Rockets when they won back to back championships in 94 and 95.

4. Elvin Hayes - Hall of Fame Center / Power Forward, First legitimate superstar for the Houston Rockets as well as the first Big time center drafted out of the U of H to play for the Rockets. He had two separate stints with the team. During his first stint with the team he only averaged about 25 pts and 17 rebounds.

5. Calvin Murphy - Hall of Fame Guard, played for the team with Rudy T and Moses Malone during the teams first NBA championship series. Like Rudy T he has spent his entire Career as a Houston Rocket both as a player and now as an announcer.

6. Ralph Sampson - Center / Power Forward, Rookie of the Year, All-Star Game MVP, Hit the shot in 86 against the Lakers that propelled the Rockets to the NBA finals. Probably the most athletic 7+ footer to ever play the game. An enigma who’s career was cut short by injuries. He would have easily been a HOF player and a top 3 on this list if not for injuries that ruined his career.

7. Clyde Drexler - Shooting Guard / Small Forward, Short career with the Rockets but it was sweet. Propelled the team to it’s second NBA championship after reuniting with his college team mate Hakeem Olajuwan.

8. Otis Thorpe - Only played 7 years with the team but no one could have done a better job at being the Dream’s sidekick or filling the void left by Ralph Sampson just a couple of years earlier. He was the second best player on the team that won the 1st championship.

9. Steve Francis - Guard, before his career is over he could end up top 3 on this list, but first he has to learn how to win. Mostly full of unfulfilled potential he has still managed to average 20pts 6rbs and 6ast throughout his career. In his 5th year he is finally starting to look like he has learned to play defense. Once he becomes a staple in the play-offs then he will move way up the list.

10. Robert Reid - Small Forward. No flashy stats but he was the consummate team player. He was asked to cover Magic Johnson and Larry Bird in both 80 and 86 when the Rockets made it to the Championship Series.

Intentionally omitted:

Yao Ming - I love this guys game and I think he is already the Rockets best player but he just has not logged enough time or progressed enough to put him on the list.

Charles Barkley - Chuck is one of my favorite Rockets but the guy only played in 182 games as a Rocket. I just don’t think he belongs on the list but I almost put him there.

OK who did I leave off?

2. bronxfan

bronxfan Contributing Member

Murphy above Hayes and Francis above Thorpe.. , IMO. the rest is okay.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

Pretty good list Crash. Nice job.

A few others that deserve mention, although I am not going to suggest where they rank or do not rank on your list:

John Lucas: Best pure point guard that the Rockets ever had. Loses "points" because of the whole drug suspension.

Allen Leavell: Never did anything exceptionally well, but he was pretty solid and his longevity with the team deserve mention. The form on his jump shop was a work of art.

Mike Newlin: Heck of a shooter/scorer during the franchise's first few years.

4. crash5179

I really struggled with not putting Lucas up there. IMO he is easily the best Point Guard the Rockets have ever had. I just could not bring myself put someone that was so distructive to himself and the team on the list.

I didn't consider Mike Newlin although maybe I should have.

I thought Allen Leavell was no better and really not as good as Sleepy Floyed.

5. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Very nice list crash with very nice descriptions. If you include off the court endeavours with the team, I'd say:

1. Hakeem
    2. Rudy
    3. Moses
    4. Calvin
    5. BigE
    6. Clyde
    7. Ralph
    8. Francis
    9. McCray
    10. Mario Elie

I know OT was pivotal to the first championship, but he was only here for only one. IMO, Elie, Horry, and Kenny Smith come before OT.

6. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

How about Bottom 10 Rockets of All Time. Here's some off the top of my head.

Pippen (lowest of all)
    Wiggins, Lloyd, Lucas (grouped together for the same reason)
    Griffin (bust)
    Maxwell (b/c he quit on the team)
    Maloney (all future Rocket GMs should have a pic of him as a reminder)
    Buck Johnson (just my opinion but I always thought this guy was gonna be better than he was)
    Rhodes (bust)

7. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I agree with the list. And I do appreciate that you put Rudy 3rd - ahead of HOF-ers, because unless Dream gives one hell of an HOF acceptance speech I doubt Rudy gets in - ever

And he will have a unique NBA resume' for one who isn't. Hell, if he's lucky, he could go in as a "contributor" after he's dead. I guess.

8. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

But he was on the team/with the team longer than most anyone under him. That is why he was probably ranked so high. Rudy not only balled in Htown, he also coached us to two spectacular championships.

9. Jrivas82

Jrivas82 Member

I think "Air Bull" should be up there somewhere.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

1. Hakeem Olajuwon
    2. Moses Malone
    3. Clyde Drexler
    4. Calvin Murphy
    5. Elvin Hayes
    6. Ralph Sampson
    7. Rudy Tomjanovich
    8. Steve Francis
    9. John Lucas
    10. Robert Reid

11. crash5179

I put Rudy so high because of his combined contributions as an all-star caliber player, a scout and a couch. He also is the only person in the organization that was an active contributer to all for trips to the NBA championships. He would have been on the list regardless of what he did as a scout or coach but not as high.

12. crash5179

The great thing about these lists is that they are so subjective. Everyone could probably tweak the list and have good reasons to do so. But as much as I liked Bull there is just no way I could add him with a clear conscious.

One of the more interesting guys on the list however is John Lucas. IMO he certainly had the talent and the skill but I just could not but him on the list. derrock, has him on his top 10 worst and Jeff has him on his top 10 best. Lucas is probably the only Rocket that does belong on both.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

1. Hakeem Olajuwon
    2. Moses Malone
    3. Elvin Hayes
    4. Calvin Murphy
    5. Rudy Tomjanovich
    6. Ralph Sampson
    7. Clyde Drexler
    8. Robert Reid
    9. Otis Thorpe
    10. Charles Barkley

I omitted Francis because he hasn't gotten the team to the playoffs yet. Barkley did what we got him to do... get us past the Sonics. And he had a HOF career.

These kinds of lists are fun and maddening. I'll probably think of someone I should have added, taken off, or forgot right after I post this.

14. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

similarly, if off the court contributions are omitted, then Rudy T might have to slide back a few. he was a great coach, but as a player he wasn't in the same league as some of the ones up there... but then again I only know this from watching ESPN classic, some of the elder fans might know better.

15. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Where's the Bullard love in this thread???

Man. Everytime I see that man take a wide open shot, I immediately knew (most of the time) that it was going in.

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

1] Hakeem
    2] Moses
    3] Drexler
    4] Hayes
    5] Murphy
    6] Rudy T
    7] Francis
    8] Sampson
    9] Lucas
    10] OT

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

The-All-Head-Up-Ass-Rockets-Team

Joe Barely Cares
    EG
    Sweet Lew Lloyd
    Mitch Wiggins
    Sleepy

6th man
    Mad Max

18. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I think you are right.

1. Matt Bullard
    2. Dream
    3. Moses
    4. Calvin Murphy
    5. Elvin Hayes
    6. Ralph Sampson
    7. Rudy Tomjanovich
    8. Steve Francis
    9. John Lucas
    10. Mini Matt

(Mini Matt never played except on NBA 97 on my sega. He was badass.

19. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Why would you put Sleepy on that list?

20. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

How about the Band Aid Man for a bust?