1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 10 Plays from the 1994 NBA Finals

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Braga, Aug 20, 2011.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

At the moment he picked up his dribble, he only had one foot on the ground (his left). He then put his right foot down, followed by his left as he went up for the shot. Ignoring the spinning action, it's the same sequence we see on most legal layups, is it not?

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

So that's three steps? He has his pivot on his left after picking up the dribble then takes two more steps. Three steps travel?

3. ClutchCityReturns

You're incorrectly counting his original pivot as a step for some reason.

After picking up your dribble, you're allowed a 1-2 before going up for your shot. Hakeem's right foot was already off the floor when he picked up his dribble, so his 1-2 was the right-left sequence. Hopefully that makes sense.

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

His left foot came down after he picked up his dribble, establishing it as a pivot foot, then he took two steps after that. At least that's how I'm seeing it.

5. ClutchCityReturns

When a player "collects" their dribble on the way to the basket, they are then allowed 2 steps before they have to go up for a shot or pass the ball.

In this case the spin complicates things, but at least the way I'm seeing the play, Hakeem collects the ball while his left foot is already down and his right foot is up. Therefore, from that point in time he's still allowed his 2 steps (in this case right-left) before going up with a shot.

This article touches on the subject. Basically the rule book has always said one step (until a couple of seasons ago), but the refs had been allowing two regardless.

And yes, these off-season GARM discussions are depressing.

#25 ClutchCityReturns, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

ahhh, the internet age, number three was a travel. i watched like the jfk tapes. back and to the left, back and to the left. so there was a second spitter.

you had to be there, i remember where i was exactly when the play happened and how and how everyone in the house i was at reacted.

7. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

It's academic anyway: Hakeem made moves like that his entire career. If they were going to call it a travel, they would have done it by then. Truth is, he had amazing quickness and footwork for a big man, and THAT is what allowed him to gain inside position on his man, not the number of steps.

Amen, brother. :rolleyes: