1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Top 10 Moments of the 2017-18 Houston Rockets Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zergling, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Zergling

Zergling Member

What moments did I miss that should be on here? I'm writing this at 3am so I probably missed something obvious.

#10: Rockets murder the Cavs on the road on national TV, leading to Cleveland's roster getting Thanos'd

I miss Rockets #BoringWins.

#9: James Harden records unprecedented 60-point triple-double vs Magic

Pure greatness.

#8: Rockets stun Warriors on Opening Night

What a way to start the year! I loved showing the Warriors the very night they received their rings that this year won't be so easy and we'd be a force to be reckoned with. It was great to see the new Rockets (Tucker and Mbah a Moute) play such a huge role off the bench to pull off the victory. On a depressing note though, there's a sad parallel here with a gimpy CP3 being unable to finish this game to start the season vs Golden State and then of course not being able to finish the season against them either.

#7: Gerald Green hits crazy game-winning three to beat the Suns

Really, this moment is for Gerald Green being a Rocket in general. How can you not love this dude? From trying to save Harvey victims to getting signed off the couch to repping Houston teams with a logo in his hair or wearing old school Houston jerseys in the playoffs. He truly bleeds H-town and I hope we can keep him next season and get him a ring.

#6: Rockets score 50 points in the 3rd quarter in Game 4 at Minnesota

This was the Rockets' offense at its absolute finest. To do this on the road in a playoff game was pretty incredible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can only embed 5 YouTube videos per post so #5 - #1 will be below.

#1 Zergling, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  2. Zergling

Zergling Member

#5: Chris Paul rescues Harden and the Rockets with 41 points, 10 assists, and 0 turnovers in Game 5 to eliminate the Jazz and advance to his first ever conference finals

This is exactly why Daryl Morey traded for the Point God -- to bail out the Rockets when Harden was off and the offense needed a spark.

#4: CP3 does it again! Goes off in Game 5 against the Warriors, counter-shimmies Steph Curry in the process

There is no doubt in my mind that Game 7 is a different story if this CP3 is healthy to play.

#3: James Harden crosses over, drops, and taunts Wesley Johnson

One of the signature plays of the entire NBA season. The NBA social circles were buzzing after this vicious play.

#2: James Harden fathers Draymond Green

Given the moment, the place, who he did it against, this was easily my favorite play of the season. I had to have replayed this on the DVR at least 50 times after seeing it live.

#1: Rockets tie WCF series 2-2 against the Warriors with a gutsy Game 4 road win

Easily the best win of the season and one of the greatest postseason victories in Rockets history. Completely flipped the momentum of the series. This was the game that forced the Warriors and the national media to acknowledge that we could actually win this series. Plus, this featured the best play of the season in my opinion (see: #2).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other moments that come to mind:
    • Trading for Chris Paul (duh)
    • James Harden (probably?) winning the MVP award. It will be a tad bittersweet, but will still be a great moment for the Rockets organization to be able to have their first MVP winner since Dream
    • Rockets pull off 3 winning streaks of at least 11 games (highest was 17)
    • The infamous "secret tunnels" game (though it was an L)
    • CP3/Harden/Ariza's StateFarm commercial

#2 Zergling, Jun 3, 2018
  3. Zergling

Zergling Member

Annnnddd I'm already making an amendment to my list. I'm not going to edit the posts since I don't want to delete other moments that are worth watching again, but I knew there was a Capela signature moment somewhere to illustrate the massive jump he took this year. I'll put it as the new #8 (the others move down a spot).

#8: Clint Capela channels his inner Mutombo, invites Utah to his block party near the end of Game 4

Here's another goodie:

Capela punks Draymond

#3 Zergling, Jun 3, 2018
  4. Zergling

Zergling Member

This doesn't belong in the Top 10 but it was definitely an odd one:

Ryan Anderson's inexplicable poster dunk over Alex Len