1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Too many good players, no great ones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GBRocket, Oct 30, 2010.

1. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

For as good buddies as Morey and Bill Simmons are, they apparently don't share the same philosophy when it comes to team composition. In Simmons' most recent column, he remarked:

Link

Basically, to win an NBA championship, you need a "big three" (e.g., Pierce/Garnett/Allen, Parker/Duncan, Ginobili, soon probably James/Wade/Bosh) or you need an absolutely legit, elite superstar who can carry the team when it counts (e.g., Kobe, Jordan, Hakeem). There is no other way!

This, ladies and gents is why the Rockets are in no way a championship-caliber team as currently constructed and are not going to get it done when it counts. We have neither a big three or a legit superstar. Our one close to superstar, Yao, is playing 24 minutes a night, in fits and starts and can't get either himself or his team into a rhythm. The rest of the team are all fighting for their own playing time, all probably disgruntled because they a) know they would be traded in a heartbeat for Carmelo or b) they can't get on the floor because Chuck Hayes/Aaron Brooks/Shane Battier/Brad Miller is in front of them.

Morey, ditch the Excel models and use some common sense. Start treating our team like a basketball team, not a collection of financial assets, and get us pointing in the right direction for a championship: lose some of the really good players, get us a great one.

1 person likes this.
  2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

but morey is god!

how dare you question his GMing ability!

ban him!

3. GBRocket

I like Morey too, but this roster is helping noone right now... not the players, not the Rockets and not the coach.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We need to find our "go-to" guys and freaking GO TO them.

It seems like we don't know who should be taking shots in the 4th.

MARTIN AND SCOLA. Those are the 2 guys we need to ride.

5. GBRocket

Agreed, although this task would be easier if there weren't 3 alternatives for every position on the floor.

Martin and Scola are not champtionship-caliber go-to-guys either, IMO.

6. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Live by Martin and Scola, die by Martin and Scola.

We need to run iso pick and rolls and let Martin and scola work from there.

They are our best players and we need to go to them for a score or when we r in a funk.

7. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I agree with above^^ Martin and Scola should be our go to guys until someone else gets hot every game or Yao is in the post.

8. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Our Big 3's needs to be (Melo,Martin,Scola)

trade

Brooks/JHill/Battier + 2012 NY pick

9. Entropy

Entropy Member

I like this plan.

10. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Quality > quantity.

11. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i think the main problem is DEFENSE, though i do think we need a closer.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Surround Martin and Scola with good defenders.

13. IceMan

IceMan Member

At the end of the day, Daryl Morey has proven absolutely nothing. This is not to say that he won't one day, it's just stating a fact.

I like Daryl, and am glad he is our GM right now, but I am also cautious. Too many people have given him the key to the city, and I question why? What exactly has he ever done? If you actually think he's simply smarter than every other GM in the league, then you are incredibly ignorant. A great GM surrounds himself with great minds. Has Morey done this?

I'm hardly jumping off a bridge after an 0-3 start (I'm actually used to mediocrity in Houston now), but I would like to see some success under Morey before we construct his statue.

Morey may may end up being the best fantasy league GM in the world, but that means nothing in the NBA.

1 person likes this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That will not work unless those defenders are also a threat to score the ball.

Scola and Martin are good offensive players, but if they don't have room to operate they will struggle.

DD

15. rocketsmetalspd

This is what may have to happen sooner than later. I believe the Nuggets will also want the Rockets to take JR Smith to make it work.

16. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Maybe they will trade us Carmelo now that think we suck? The only thing effecting that decision is now does carmelo think we suck?

17. Raven

Raven Member

As I've posted before, the Rockets just need to tread water until a team decides to dump one of their stars. It will happen, but probably not for a few more months. Oh, one last thing, you never make a trade just to make a trade.

18. icewill36

icewill36 Member

brooks ? lol why would they want brooks when they have billups and lawson ? martin would most likely be the one to go.

19. IceMan

IceMan Member

one negative about Morey that I can see clear as day is that he has an ego. i'm wise enough to know that is rarely a good thing.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Looks like a contradiction to me. You can't trade your players without thinking of them as assets.