1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tony Romo retiring

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TMAC3, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They sent a 2nd rounder to Cleveland to clean-up what they believed was or could become a toxic situation (in addition to the cap savings). They've also put themselves in position to extend Hopkins or Clowney.

I don't think the Texans purposefully sat out free agency; I think the market expanded beyond their comfort level: they would've kept AJ, for example, up to a certain point. And they probably liked a few of the guards and/or tackles - but they, like AJ, got big money and they just weren't going to swim in that pool again.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

BRING BACK FITZMAGIC

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I had tons of love for RG3 in college.....and then he ended up not very good in the pros. We can probably blame most of it on the team that drafted him and their coaching staff that ran him into the ground, but at this point he's a certified bust one way or the other.

4. Nero

Nero Member

You know.. as soon as I heard this during the drive to work this morning, the only thing I thought was, the price just went up.

In other words, ok, I get it, nobody wanted to trade a pick or some other asset AND have to also eat the high salary. I get that. I probably wouldn't want to either.

BUT, I think there may have been people believing that once he was released, then they could go try to pick him up on the cheap. The guy was scheduled to make a LOT of money this year, and a LOT of money next year. He believes he is as good as any of the other QBs out there, and if not for Prescott, he would be right there starting again for the Cowboys, and most likely trying to follow in Brady's footsteps of playing until he is fifty, if his body would hold up.

But this whole Prescott thing threw a big monkey wrench into all that. I get that too.

Do I think he still wants to play? Of course I do. I would be SHOCKED if he doesn't. But I don't think he would be willing to play on the cheap, especially not when he can land a lucrative talking-head job instead and NOT get beat on by defenses all year long.

So, this creates the perfect negotiating cover for him: he doesn't HAVE to come play for the Texans (or anyone else), but if they want him, they better be willing to pony up, probably very close to what he was schedule to make on his original salary.

So far from it being 'He's retiring, so forget about him!', I think it's more of 'How much is it going to cost to get him into a Texans jersey?.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

No, I don't believe he would have led them on. But I believe he could have changed his mind. He has a right to do so and he doesn't own this franchise anything.

I don't think he had intentions to retire weeks ago. I think this happened recently or the Cowboys wouldn't have (reportedly) told other teams they could talk directly to him or his agents.

I believe they sent a 2nd rounder to Cleveland to extend Hopkins and maybe Clowney, and resign a veteran starting QB if available, and maybe sign some other free agents if not too pricey. In my opinion, they did it for flexibility as they were getting rid of a player who worn out his welcome with the head coach.

I didn't say the rest of the division is dumber. My comment was that, if you consider the Texans are behind the curve; so are other teams including the rest of the division. This team has failed on offense but is succeeding on the defense. I am very aware, as most fans, that the offense stinks. I just don't want to ignore the defense for the sake of bashing them for one side of the football. They are mediocre and need to get better. I don't think today makes them any worse than yesterday.

Fortunes change. You're right. But don't forget that McNair and Rick Smith brought in Wade Phillips, Jonathan Joseph, and Daniael Manning. They drafted Cushing, Watt, Mercilus, Clowney, and Kevin Johnson. They have been trying to get a QB, as we saw with Brock last year. It just hasn't worked out. The right thing to do is keep trying but also keep building the defense.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

[​IMG]

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Getting what is essentially a 4th round pick doesn't soften the blow of giving up a 2nd. What will soften the blow is when they use that cap space in a meaningful way, as you laid out at the bottom of your post.

No, picking up Romo would not impact the comp pick formula in any way. He would have been a street free agent and therefore ineligible for the formula.

I'm not bashing the Brock deal, but I don't think using these excuses to rationalize is worth it either. You paid a 2nd round pick to get cap space that can be used at some point and to get him out of your roster. That's either a good deal or it's not. The rest of that stuff doesn't play a role at all. The deal isn't MORE worth it because we are getting compensated for losing a good defensive player. The two aren't related.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Time to SHAVE more like. Plenty of guys can pull off stubble, but not Romo. He looks like a drunk bum with no job.

Tomstro likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tony Romo to Team with Jim Nantz and Tracy Wolfson for NFL ON CBS and Thursday Night Football Coverage Beginning with 2017-18 Season

Tony Romo will become CBS Sports’ lead NFL game analyst beginning with the 2017-2018 NFL season. The announcement was made today by Sean McManus, Chairman, CBS Sports.

Romo, who played for 14 years with the Dallas Cowboys, will join Jim Nantz and Tracy Wolfson on the lead announce team for the Network’s coverage of THE NFL ON CBS on Sunday afternoons and Thursday Night Football.

“Tony has been one of the NFL’s biggest stars for the past decade, and we are thrilled to welcome him to CBS Sports,” said McManus. “He will bring the same passion, enthusiasm and knowledge that he displayed on the field to the broadcast booth. He brings a fresh and insightful perspective to our viewers having just stepped off the field. We know Tony will quickly develop into a terrific analyst, and alongside Jim Nantz, will become a must-listen for fans each week.”

“When you think about the NFL, two of the most iconic brands are the Dallas Cowboys and CBS Sports,” said Romo. “Going from one legendary team to another as I begin the next phase of my career is a dream come true. I have always known that once my playing career was over I wanted to become a broadcaster. I am ecstatic for the opportunity to work with Jim as I learn the craft and convey to fans my passion for this great game.”

“As we welcome Tony, we want to acknowledge Phil Simms who served as our lead NFL analyst for nearly 20 years,” said McManus. “Phil has been a very important part of our coverage since the NFL returned to CBS in 1998. His strong opinions, coupled with his tremendous knowledge and passion for the National Football League, has created a unique broadcasting style making him one of the best analysts to ever call the game. We are discussing with Phil his future role with CBS Sports. We cannot thank him enough for the way he has represented himself and CBS Sports during his tenure as CBS's lead NFL analyst.”

The full list of NFL ON CBS announce teams for the 2017-2018 season will be released later this summer.​

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

NFL front offices are either incredibly good at blowing smoke , or consistently misinformed.

Lol "romo back in play" , NFL execs and media were spoiled by the Favre roller coaster.

Yeah I'm sure romo would like to earn 10+ mil dollars . I don't know how much he's going to make commentating, but if he's managed his finances well it's likely enough to maintain his lifestyle.

Nook and J.R. like this.
  14. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I actually wouldn't be against that, as a backup of course.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

so i wonder what happened between when free agency started until now? because by all reports, Romo had every intention of playing again. it was even reported a few days ago that the Cowboys were taking calls about Romo, then next day, he's done with football? it's a bit odd.

16. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

If Romo's relseased, and retired, cant he come back from retirement and sign with any team?

I haven't heard or seen this talked about so i'm sure there's something i'm missing...

17. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

I am over this Romo drama.

18. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

No. If Romo retires and then decides to unretire, the Cowboys still own his rights.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Not if they release him.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yes. If he's released he can sign with any team. He'd be a free agent. My guess is he will wait until after training camp to return to the NFL if he returns at all.

waytookrzy079 likes this.