1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Tony Romo retiring

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TMAC3, Apr 4, 2017.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Mainly kidding but technically it was possible to have them both.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

So, who's looking forward to Jay Culter/1st round QB starting?

macho GRANDE and Marteen like this.
  3. blackistan

blackistan Member

Not even close. Don't compare the Rockets to the Texans at least the Rockets have a competent owner and GM

4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People need to quit with the panicking.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

If the Texans don't utilize that cap space, they look really stupid giving up a second rounder to get rid of Osweiler.

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Losing your primary free agency target to a broadcasting job is pretty embarrassing. Normally athletes want to play until they basically die on the field. Romo would rather talk to insufferable wanker Jim Nantz for 3 hours every week than put on a Texans uniform. Ouch.

On top of that, Romo was the last chopper out of 'Nam in terms of competent QBs. Now it's back to the QB carousel/lottery. I'm panicking, but I'm not throwing Rick Smith/Bob under the bus on this one.

whag00 likes this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

LOL
    ClutchFans at it's best. If you look at their playoff success since Rick Smith took office, it's not that much different. Give me a list of the Texans bust and I will give you a list of the Rockets including players they let go and went on to do very well for other teams. The biggest difference between Morey and Rick Smith is really that one talks a lot and convinces us that he is the smartest guy in the room; the other doesn't talk much and we're convinced he is the dumbest in the room.

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Not really. Would they have looked smarter holding onto Osweiler and never making any kind of attempt to improve the QB position?

They don't look dumb. They look unfortunate.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Rockets didn't look stupid for Trading Jeremy Lin either but trading a first round pick for nothing did. To me the worst part of the Osweiler trade is the second round pick. It's $16 million in cap space that could have been used to re-sign defensive pieces we lost or to rebuild the offensive line. Now that cap space is useless unless they use it to extend someone's contract. The Texans gave away a pick for nothing. Not a QB, Not a pro-bowl CB, nothing.

mario_v likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Have they used the cap space to add a QB? Have they used the cap space to improve the team?

It isn't over yet..... but right now it doesn't look good.

Right now they are just out a second rounder and the owner saved some money.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed but we'll have to wait and see what they do with that cap room to see if the first statement holds true. Essentially, Rick traded a premium pick for a shot at a 37-year old injury prone QB without any guarantee that he'd even be available. This was pretty much the worst case scenario IMO.

12. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets were in the WCF two years ago.

The Texans have never been that far in the playoffs.

How many playoff rounds have the Texans won?

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

That's the only difference. The Rockets made it to the WCF two years ago. Before then, they had never passed the 2nd round (since Rick Smith); like the Texans.

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Good for him!

15. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

QB that threw 16 TD, 4 INT with no offensive line = no RB yds and no WR yds. Importantly, a bad defense which made the offense look bad. Krapernick would bring prominence to the Texans, if he is given a chance. We never had a mobile QB, I believe if he is inserted into the lineup, the Texans offense would be obscene offensively. If Patriots didn't have Brady, they would get Krapernick. If we don't sign him, he will go to the Seahawks.

As for Romo. I believe if the Texans traded for him, he would play, but since the Texans wanted him cheap and Cowboys not letting him go. It gave Romo more time about his future and more talks with Jerry Jones which lead him to retirement. Today is Jones happiest day.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

That 2nd rounder isn't that bad knowing they'll almost certainly get an extra 3rd rounder next year.

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

If you told me at the end of this season that the Texans would have a 50-50 chance to sign Tony Romo, but only if they traded away a 2nd round pick... I still would have made that trade.

Nimo likes this.
  18. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Looking back on these two months of rumors, I think the give away that retirement was coming was when Jerry made the comment that both he and Romo wanted to delay his release. When I heard that it made me think Romo wanted to avoid being released so he could mull his future without the pressure of being a true free agent.

I wanted him here, but at this point it's not surprising he's going into the booth. Looking forward to him over Simms next year.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm going to make myself sick saying this over and over again - so maybe using all caps and bold will help: THEY CAN CARRYOVER ANY UNUSED MONEY TO NEXT YEAR!

That gives you greater financial flexibility. Also, people need to stop pretending Osweiler was a salary dump - yes, they saved money - but right or wrong, it's pretty obvious they wanted him out of their building, too.

DonnyMost likes this.
  20. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Oh well, fk him.