1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tony Romo retiring

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TMAC3, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A negotiating ploy if ever I've seen one...Doesn't make a difference to me though, as I still don't want him. And, I sure hope the Texans don't.

2. mario_v

mario_v Member

What do your sources say?

3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I'm sooo happy to hear this! Made me pee a little...:)

4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Red.Glare, mario_v and Fulgore like this.
  5. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Doubt
    Doubt it. Completely unnecessary move if so. I'm not 100% ruling out Romo still playing after seeing Favre's clown show, but this seems pretty real to me.

Plowman likes this.
  6. Fullcourt

Posted last night. Should be interesting to hear Tony talk about this whole saga.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It's a sad day in Houston sports when the Cowboys have to make the decision for you.

8. mightybosstone

At least now the Texans know and can move forward. They've been quiet in free agency for far too long and really need to address holes on the offensive line and issues with depth in the secondary. Hopefully this will also ensure that they draft a QB in the first and/or second round. I'm not remotely in favor of them spending money on guys like Cutler, Griffin or Kaepernick, and it seems unlikely that Tom Savage is the team's QB of the future.

9. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO

That Brock Osweiler deal is looking really good right about now.

I am sure that It was coincidence that the Texans were holding onto their cap space.

Funniest part? BOB is already being set up to take the fall! A contract extension? Sure Rick... BOB? Nope.

What a dysfunctional organization. An out of touch and senile owner that is satisfied that his fellow billionaire team owners tell him he has a nifty team... and a GM that plays politics at a level that I have never seen in sports.

But hey! The plan all along was to go with Savage! Right? I am sure that will be the BS spin control the Texans will **** out to the media.

CometsWin, adw, mikol13 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Fantasma Negro

11. mightybosstone

If the Texans end up doing nothing with the cap room they got from the Osweiler trade, then this will indeed look like a huge mistake. But there's still time them to add pieces with that money. However, the thing that bothers me the most about this offseason is that they have all that cap room and they let AJ Bouye walk. He did get overpaid by Jacksonville, but if the Texans were going to get rid of Osweiler's contract, why not spend that money to bring back your best cornerback?

12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Lmao

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tony Romo will be a TV analyst with CBS next season, according to sources. A deal has yet to be signed, but CBS and Romo have reached a verbal agreement. The Cowboys QB is expected to replace Phil Simms as the net’s top game analyst, where he will be paired with Jim Nantz. CBS outbid Fox Sports for Romo’s services, sources said. Fox Sports wanted Romo to replace John Lynch as the game analyst on the net’s No. 2 broadcast team. Just a couple of weeks ago, Fox was considered the front-runner to land Romo, since it carries the NFC package that Romo knows so well. But a concern for Romo was that another former Cowboys QB, Troy Aikman, is the net’s top NFL game analyst, and he is not likely to leave the booth any time soon.

ESPN first reported that Romo will retire and move to the broadcast booth following his expected release from the Cowboys today. There still is a chance that another NFL team may try to sign Romo, but ESPN is reporting that the 36-year-old Romo will retire, citing health reasons. Romo is being repped by CAA Sports in this deal.

An unresolved question is what will happen on Thursday nights. A source says that Romo, a broadcasting neophyte, does not want to call both “TNF” and CBS’ national Sunday game right off the bat. The NFL in the past has made it clear, though, that CBS and NBC, its "TNF" broadcasters, have to use their top broadcast team for the series. Last season, the NFL balked at NBC’s plan to have Mike Tirico replace Al Michaels on Thursday nights.​

15. Fantasma Negro

With no experience? Nantz will have to carry him. I need friends in high places like this

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

How do you guys feel about Nathan Peterman?

17. Fantasma Negro

Savage 2.0

18. Fullcourt

Well that's that. Not like CBS will bring him on if he's undecided about the future.

19. Fantasma Negro

Seth called it this morning

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'd have liked Romo on the Texans, but I'm also not an idiot. The chances of Romo being healthy on the Texans at the end of the year/in the playoffs was probably like 20%.

As an aside, has Romo done some games already as a broadcaster? Why is everyone so sure he'll be great at it?? I mean... I kind of expect he will, too, ha...