1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tony buzbee filing lawsuit against Deshaun Watson? Hints at mistreating women

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 16, 2021.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is the Mueller report all over again. Texans fans thinking Watson is going to jail and in the end nothing happens but a bunch of crying babies.

Tuckankhamun and The Real Shady like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

FBI investigating Deshaun?

I don’t think they’re investigating Deshaun. They’re investigating allegations Buzbee made in his lawsuits. As I said, I didn’t know about it until yesterday. I checked it out. They are but I wasn’t supposed to know. This is the thing that makes me uncomfortable. To say someone is investigating whether certain events occurred or did not or whether say they’re investigating someone who has a dog in the hunt’s version does not mean they’re necessarily investigating the person but that’s not my sense. My sense is Mr. Buzbee and his clients have made allegations. They’re investigating those allegations. Doesn’t mean they believe or think or trying to see if Deshaun is guilty. They want to know what happened.

Earlier you pointed out the FBI made an inquiry about claims from Ms. Lawson and later on, said you found out they’re investigating Buzbee. Are they separate investigations, the same and also, would you be representing Deshaun in another claim from the FBI?

Until I get fired, I’m representing him in everything having to do with this. The FBI won’t tell me any more than they’re telling y’all. You go to them, they’ll say “We’ll neither confirm nor deny.” That’s what they always do.

Until Buzbee started doing this, all of us in the private sector don’t say anything about it either because it’s not to anyone’s advantage. Buzbee’s conduct…you have to understand what’s happening. When he goes a month without y’all putting him in the paper, he almost wilts. Until y’all give him some coverage…when he goes a month without…what he does is he comes out and wants to leverage his civil lawsuits. He wants out of those civil lawsuits. He knows those lawsuits have no future in the long run. He wants to be out there promoting himself, the lawsuits and try to get Deshaun to settle them so he can ride into the sunset. If you guys shutdown and nobody heard Buzbee’s name for 30 days, there’d be a new allegation and new piece of information he shouldn’t be talking about in order to gen it back up.

What I’m saying is I’d like to avoid having to respond to every one of those but if people are lying and putting it public, we’re gonna have to do it on behalf of Deshaun. I’m urging him to go back on vacation. Go on another honeymoon. Quit doing all this. It’s not good for your clients. It’s truly not. Every time they talk publicly, they say things contrary to what there’s documentary evidence of. We want to do that in the court room. We hope he’ll calm down a little bit. I’m not confident he will but he needs to be careful. He’s not helping these folks.

Has Deshaun talked to the NFL?

The NFL has gotten a bad rap publicly about this. I say this with some reservations because I don’t want the NFL to think I’m trying to cuddle up to them. They may reach a conclusion down the line we disagree with but here’s where they’ve gotten a bad rap: they’re doing their own investigation, [we were] not consulted about. No, he has not talked to them. They (NFL) don’t reach out until the criminal investigation is over. They want to make sure they don’t interfere with criminal investigation.

They’ve apparently talked to some of the women. I’ve had no contact with the NFL other than to say “When the time is appropriate, we’ll fully cooperate. You let us know.” Right now, we’re not aware of what they’re doing other than what we read in the media and that’s how it should be. … In due time, we’ll be interfacing with the NFL but not yet.

[Can’t hear the question]

In every felony allegation in which the state is seeking information, they will send out grand jury subpoenas for documents. That’s the first stage. That’s totally natural. Grand jury proceedings and subpoenas though are usually secret. I haven’t seen any subpoenas so I don’t know what these subpoenas are. They could be for documents or whatever. It’s a totally standard law enforcement process. They send out subpoenas, interview witnesses and then they schedule a grand jury.

One final thing about grand juries in Texas. There’s no special grand jury impaneled on this. We have four sitting at all times. There’s a couple on Tuesday/Thursday, a couple on Monday/Wednesday. I have no idea what’s happened with a grand jury…whether anything’s been presented to a grand jury. They only sit for 90 days and then new grand juries come in. I have no idea what’s happening with a grand jury until/unless I’m told by the state.

Everyone gets excited by subpoenas. That is a totally normal process. Everything about this case from a law enforcement and NFL standpoint is being done the way they do every case. We would love for it to be done as quick as possible but understandably they will not march to our schedule.

#3062 J.R., Aug 18, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm not taking sides, but we all know Buzbee is playing the Saul Goodman role here, and it seems like Hardin just smacked him very hard. We'll see how Slippin' Jimmy counters.

Very strong message from Hardin. He's not not trying to intimidate some of these girls out of the case either,.but at the same time, he's telling Buzbee to stay out of the public or these girls will regret it. It's super strong gamesmanship, and it's unfortunate it comes at an actual cost (meaning emotionally and monetarily) to the accusers and the accuser.

Very interesting to see how this play out.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I thought Hardin came off as looking like he lost his fast ball.
    Didn’t yesterday he say that the FBI wasn’t involved? And now today saying he knew that they were involved in some capacity?

Jared Novak likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I also don't really have a side, minus its obvious that Watson has a sex addiction problem that he should already be getting counseling for... but it seems that Hardin is generating an exagerrated response to buzbee's bullshit that initially didn't really move the needle much.

While Hardin is complaining about the publicity and how nothing has changed... he is doing his best to bring this story back into the forefront by having press conferences, etc.

Slyonebluejay and Two Sandwiches like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. Two Sandwiches

I mean, I could see that, but I thought the actual snippet of texts Hardin dropped, coupled with the veiled threats was pretty effective. This one woman in particular has got to be scared, I would think.

But I just read the transcripts, to be honest.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Reading the texts I can see how it looks bad, in context I can also see how she’s trying to “help” Deshaun too. Which isn’t good for him

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

this is beyond stupid

10. Two Sandwiches

I'm not sure what you mean?

When you read just that snippet of texts, it kind of seems like she initiated whatever happened. That's what Hardin wants to portray. Also, the fact that she tried to continue the relationship. Those things all look positive for Watson and Hardin, imo.

Of course there's probably tons of information, and Hardin may be lying. What he put out there is somewhat damning, for that particular individual, if true.

And then there are like 21 more though...

11. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

No matter what the outcome is one thing has become abundantly clear Watson is a dumb dumb...and Pancakes McClain is a lazy, untalented, blowhard, but that neither here nor there.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It could be for sure. It could also read like he asked for something, she did it and regrets it and was trying to cover up for him…..at first.

Context will matter for sure.

13. Two Sandwiches

I didn't think about that perspective. I could see that I suppose.

But it's weird that she asks for a new copy of the NDA...

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that could be evidence for her to see if it’s valid too.
    She’s probably got dirt and trying to get something but doesn’t mean he’s innocent either

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  15. a time to chill

I liked how Rusty Hardin threw shade at all media outlets by saying there was no new news for the last 4 months. All the news stories about grand juries, human trafficking, etc. were just sensationalized to get clicks.

I also liked how he sniped back at Sports Illustrated and Jenny Vrentas for that "Deshaun's unproven innocence" remark she made. After their latest article, there were some people thinking that Sports Illustrated was going to somehow force the NFL to put Deshaun on the exempt list...Ridiculous.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

“I think Rusty is reaching for straws and that’s kind of silly,” Buzbee said. “God bless him, the FBI, is, not as far as I know, is not investigating the women who have been victimized. They’re investigating Deshaun Watson.”

https://apnews.com/article/sports-nfl-football-texas-houston-texans-c7c146687c6cfb70569da94584696864

Tony Buzbee told The Associated Press that the FBI “reached out to me, and I responded.”

Buzbee denied he is seeking publicity or money and accused Hardin of trying to change the narrative and of “trying to defend the indefensible.”

Buzbee accused Hardin of attacking the women who have sued Watson.

“Deshaun Watson has a problem and his lawyer is not focused on that,” Buzbee said. “He’s focused on trying to attack me or my clients and I’m tired of it.”

Buzbee said he had no plans to settle the lawsuits.

“We’re going to have a trial. I’m pretty sure that (Hardin) against me, I’m feeling quite confident,” he said.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

18. ballgame

ballgame Member

Just like I've been saying, you have to WAIT until everything comes out before JUDGING AND DEFINING GUIT OR INNOCENCE.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That works both ways. You’re siding with the accused, I’m siding with the 22+ accusers, for now.