1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tony buzbee filing lawsuit against Deshaun Watson? Hints at mistreating women

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nimo, Mar 16, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You don't know that, if he settles they can possibly void his contract on a morals clause and then it would be up to a judge.

Him settling will drive down his value with a new team who would want him and his baggage at a discount.

You are making a hell of a lot of assumptions, if teams thought it would be that easy there still would be trade talks going on.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That was in 2003 and you see what happened to Weinstein which is my point.

Totally different time.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is what I’m thinking too.

If it really wasn’t a big deal, he would have been traded for. Carolina traded for Sam Darnold over him. That says something

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I laid out quite clearly why I think he will be able to continue receiving significant contracts from NFL teams.
    The uncertainty is what’s holding it up right now. If he settles, the Texans aren’t ripping up his contract and getting nothing in return. If the offers are significantly less, so be it. But you still take the best of whatever is offered.

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I could see this scenario playing out.
    I still think teams would have made the move if it wasn’t a big deal.
    Settling isn’t going to fix that one way or the other.
    Can’t have a perceived rapist as the face of your franchise in 2021.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  6. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

The Texans would be idiotic to try and void his contract if he settled. That would essentially render him a free agent if they "accomplished" that "goal."

The plan is to trade him and that will probably come down after he settles. He could also take it to court, and wait years, and in that case it's extremely unlikely the NFL keeps him suspended while he fights the legal battle in court. It's an unprecedented situation, but I can't imagine any scenario where the keep him on the exempt list for years.

There are obviously a number of hypotheticals, but outside of literal jail time, no contracts are going to be voided, he's going to be traded, and he's going to be a top 5 quarterback playing for another team.

What he has done/is doing is a complete joke. I've lost all respect for him, but regardless he's an outstanding, young QB, and he's going to take his oiled anus elsewhere.

The best the Texans can do is hope the trade value continues to increase and you get teams in a bidding war again. Wait until they can get max value. If not this offseason, then wait until before next years draft. They could decide to refuse to trade him, but they don't have the balls to do that. I've heard the whole "cut him on moral authority" argument. It's stupid, and despite the Texans being overwhelmingly stupid, I don't see a scenario where they cut off their dick to spite their scrotum.

There literally is trade speculation going on, right now! I hate that, because I think the best thing if we are trading him would be to wait until next offseason.

If your argument is that his trade value is nothing, and teams want a bargain, well some teams might. And the Texans should politely say no thanks and next customer.

7. theDude

Supporting Member

That’s if you are correct in assuming that settling means most of the general public considers him a rapist. I think you could make the case that even more people would think that a bunch of internet whores tried to shake him down and he had to settle out of court (give them money) just to get it resolved quickly.

8. STR8Thugg

I think the "perceived rapist" thing is a straw man argument. I hear you, 2021, and whatever, but I haven't heard that.

Settling prevents you from going to court. From taking 2+ years of your life away. Not necessarily because you are guilty.

Or in his case, bc he did a bunch of weird ass **** for a few years (mostly likely at bare minimum), and he understands that, feels like it's the right thing to make amends, and move on. Remember, if they settle, both sides are agreeing to it. Nobody is forcing the plaintiffs' hands (except Busby).

9. STR8Thugg

If this was the case in this scenario why aren't people already indicting Deshaun? I feel like I'm pretty plugged in and I haven't seen any smear-campaign op-eds. Even the SI article didn't really reveal a whole lot of new information, and all of it was he-said-she-said, including their disclaimers about how vetting was done by talking plaintiff's confidants to confirm stories...

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t know very many people that think that. I’d say it’s a pretty safe bet he did something

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Perception is king these days. And rape perception is as simple as being a male looking at a woman wrong now days.

Optics will play a bigger role in this case than anything. To me, settling says guilt

12. STR8Thugg

Generally I would agree but normally when that is the case you see it occur before this stage. Like I said the media has been pretty calm all things considered.

There will be teams that balk at the prospect of perv Deshaun. There will also be a lot of teams and coaches/GMs on the hotseat that DGAF.

theDude and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is true. Talent means more to some than morals. There’s no doubt about that

14. theDude

Supporting Member

There is the problem. You should not look at it that way. There are lots of reasons people settle.

He may very well be guilty of something, but it’s not necessarily sexual assault. In order to preserve his reputation, he may decide to settle so that a lot of testimony doesn’t come out that shows he was at the very least an IG john. He could spend many years and millions of dollars going to court where he is ultimately found not guilty of the charges against him.. and still come out looking like a sleaze bag criminal.

“Winning” these cases in court is going to open up a lot of doors during testimony that he probably doesn’t want opened. To prove he didn’t assault them, he’s going to need to show that it was all consensual. Now there’s going to be testimony under oath about new large scale criminal activities. “Winning” these cases may actually end up worse for him. One thing it won’t do is bring back his good image as so many people seem to suggest.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

What people should and shouldn’t do doesn’t matter.
    In my experience, most people think settling is admission of guilt.

16. theDude

Supporting Member

You're probably right. But going through the court process does not necessarily clear his name either.

To try to illustrate my point, it has been announced that the next thing to happen in this case will be a deposition. That will be February 22, 2022. So, this case doesn't even take its next little baby step until after another full season of football has passed. Deshaun wants to be traded. That's not happening until this is resolved. If he is going to sit out until he is traded, there's a good chance he will be sitting out for three years or more, forgoing tens of millions of dollars with no income coming in and legal fees mounting up. All for the chance of maybe being found not guilty. Do you see why maybe he would want to settle? He could be completely innocent and it would still be better for him to settle.

He was involved in illegal activity before the first allegation came out. They have him over a barrel whether he did anything (other than prostitute shopping online) or not. He's in a no-win situation as far as his reputation goes. He will take the path of least resistance and get back to playing football. We are just waiting for them to work out how the language of how much blame he will take.

B-Bob, STR8Thugg and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I can definitely see why he would want to settle.
    I’m not sure it will turn out how he wants, but I definitely could see him wanting to move past this as quickly as possible.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

They would be off the hook for the contract and would have immediate cap relief and IMO nobody is gonna trade for him on that contract with all of that baggage.

Trade speculation by who?

Name any other team that has traded for a player with this stuff going on.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

People are already indicting Deshaun, you can see that in this thread.

20. STR8Thugg

I think you are completely wrong on all levels, but we'll see how things play out. I'm not naive enough to think everything isn't on the table.