1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tonight we started 5 guys batting below .222

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets Pride, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Quick breakdown of how each player has hit over the course of this season:

Altuve unbelievably good
    Springer, Correa, Valbuena great
    Marwin, Gattis, Castro below average
    Rasmus, Gomez, White, Kemp awful
    Marisnick, Tucker, Reed unbelievably bad
    Bregman, Worth, Moran, all others sample too small

2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Springer, correa, valbuena- good
    Marwin- average
    Gattis, castro, rasmus- bad
    Gomez- one of the worst offensive seasons for an everyday outfielder ever in the history of the game. Effing putrid.
    Bregman, kemp, white, moran- sample too small

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Rasmus for the past two months has been worse than Gomez. Apparently he attributes it to a cholesteatoma. It's time for him to retire.

4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

True Rasmus has been beyond awful but on the whole has had a better season than gomez. Barely.

5. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

went to the game tonight. i was amazed at how low the batting average was in our lineup. the jays worst player would have been our 5th best tonight. astonished might be a better word.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You never vent. I'm a little surprised you finally let loose.

7. conquistador#11

can't have that many donuts in one line up. it's ridiculous. we need a curandera for valbuena's hamstring.

8. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

Not necessarily a major disagreement with you but Marisnick is hitting about .330 since July 1st, why is he not in the lineup especially with his defense, everyday. Will agree he was terrible at the plate earlier in the year but he's come around lately. I don't quite understand with Rasmus and Gomez being TERRIBLE lately, why he isn't getting more playing time. And don't forget Tucker, he's been awful all year.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Given how far behind they are, I don't see any reason to play Gomez or Rasmus over the rest of this season. May as well give those ABs to Marisnick, Tucker, and Bregman. I'd just as soon they go ahead and start rolling out the "potential 2017" lineup:

RF Springer
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    3B Gurriel
    1B Reed
    LF Bregman
    DH White/Tucker
    C Gattis/Castro
    CF Marisnick

Bench:Marwin, Gomez, Rasmus

10. conquistador#11

how far behind they are? same teams that are leading wild cards are going to have a bump. They play each other as many times as we play the Angels and mariners.

we should be aiming for 7 to 8 games over .500 to start of September.

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I would be OK never seeing Preston Tucker in an Astro's uniform again. For some reason I just cannot stand the pudgy guy with the brick feet. Just want him gone. Rasmus and him are both insanely horrible at the plate but at least Colby can play D. Tucker just sits and spits in the dugout. Go away.

I just take a piss break or fold laundry during Gomez at bats. I hate wasting time.

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Guys, dont worry, we are going to barely get into the playoffs, and Rasmus will hit 5 HR's in the first 4 games and get another contract extension.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Has to be that Hinch doesn't care...amirite? Makes total sense that the manager wouldn't care how poorly his team is playing when still within reach of making the playoffs.

I know you're just venting but maybe read what you write before you hit "Submit Reply" and see if it makes any sense.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Unless the bats wake the **** up, the Angels and Mariners will destroy this team. Now if Gurriel comes in hot, Valbuena picks up right where he left off, McCullers and Keuchel are our 1-2 punch, and Giles truly is the closer we desperately need, I'm with you. There's just a lot of if's in there......

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

managing the outfield and moving players in the lineup to squeeze as much production from them. Managing the pitching staff, especially the bull pen, enough to keep the Astros in games even when they are only score 2 - 3 runs.

16. Airdough

Airdough Member

If the bats wake up, the pitching received to date should be enough to win. They're usually at their best when they jump on the board early. Reed and Bregman are not this bad, they weren't thought of as almost untouchable because our team only wants cheap controllable players.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We hope not. Whether they get it together in time to really help this year is anyone's guess. But our offensive problems go a lot deeper than just these two players.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think there's a greater urgency this year to figure out what they really have on their farm because they're staring down some likely significant turnover this winter. Four everyday free agents (Castro, Gomez, Rasmus, Valbuena) + Fister.

So while I don't think they're going to give up on this year, per se - I do think (well, hope) that they'll let Bregman and Reed stay in the lineup and that they'll give Musgrove and Hoyt a chance to solidify their claims to a rotation spot in 2017. I'd also like to see them give Hernandez a shot (he couldn't possibly be worse than Gomez or Rasmus), btw.

The Astros are in a tricky place, honestly: they're still young with a lot of talented - but untested - players. But they're also a good baseball team with rightful expectations of immediate success. I can't imagine finding the right balance between win now and win tomorrow is easy.

19. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

disagreed. Bregman is the only "player of the future" you mentioned - so it's not like you really are trotting out next years lineup for seasoning in your reference.

We also aren't out of it. This is what the stros do. Get hot - get cold - get hot again.

Rasmus is historically a streak hitter and has been in such a slump that it almost dictates he's about to get red hot - plus it would coincide nicely with his pending free agency. amazing how those things usually correlate.

Gomez? no qualms there.

Bregman in left scares me - hoping that Yuli is more open to LF than many posters here posit.

Tucker screams AAAA to me.

while I'm fearful that our AAA affiliate is in a league where the pitching is not very good - if you're wanting to develop, you put a rasmus/gomez through waivers and bring up Teoscar. Let Marisnick play CF for the balance to prove whether he's your 4th outfielder of the future or just a prank partner for tuve. that way, you are keeping a competitive team on the field in the case that the astros go streaking - in the good way.

20. mick fry

mick fry Member

If that actually happened I would agree.