1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toni Kukoc: Would you sign him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, Jul 25, 2004.

1. tksense

tksense Member

LOL!
    of course we don't need Kukoc, Houston has no reason to consider him, and he hasn't either. In fact, Mil/CHI are the only team he will think about IF he isn't retiring.

I was startled to even find his name on this website!! What an offseason..

so now, how about Rodney Rogers: Would you sign him? ;)

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

If that is the case, then why did the Bucks play him exlusively at PF last year??? Clearly his best position is SF and at times, SG. Why did he only play a handful of mins at SF/SG the whole season??

Ive seen Kukoc play plenty over the years. At his best, he is a mediocre defender, whehter he is at PF or SF. You dismiss his lateral quickness as a non factor. Yet, if you look at JVG's defensive rotations, you would realize that his lateral quickness would be a huge factor in whether or not he can be a serviceable defender in this system.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Come on. You really think Van Gundy can just "flip the switch" and take a broken down, slow footed in his prime, lousy defensive player nearing the end of his career and turn him into a good defender, something he's never been?

Pure fantasy. if he could do that, he should be using his powers for greater endeavors than basketball.

4. dconover

dconover Contributing Member

A bench player does not to be a defensive stud if that is not his role. Kukoc could very easily find a role off of the bench as a playmaker/scorer. It is all about matchups.

5. tksense

tksense Member

In all honesty, Kukoc's first few years plus Jordan & co's hostility bestowed Kukoc a horrid reputation on defense. Ppl'd just jump to bash him at any chance. He cannot guard SF's one on one, but he has pretty good help defense and sense of team defense. Ironically, late in his career, he would be subbed in on the bucks team FOR DEFENSIVE PURPOSES!! On the bucks, he sometimes play quite inspiring defense too!

The real problem with Kukoc is motivation. Bucks saw Kukoc as a veteran leader, so he could perform without disgruntle... did you know that Pippen used to hate/envy Kukoc, Larry Brown on sixers call him stupid all the time, not giving him PT (even Iverson come up to question that), and he's not really well respected because he was one of the first stereotypical European "Jordan"?

Anyways, we all know C's and PG's are what we need. I'd rather like Boki getting more PT to develop a future long-term starter!

6. tksense

tksense Member

sorry for double post...
    and codell, that's right, a mediocre defender doesn't warrant the "worst defender in NBA" label. All i was saying without exaggeration is he's pretty underrated in that. In the bulls/sixers days, it's funny sometimes opposing coaches would call to attack Toni on defense, but they'd fail and waste possessions most of the time. Later, Kukoc got the defensive reputation back as a buck. Then there are no more stupid sports writer just labelling him soft and can't guard ****.
    His lack of lateral quickness at age 35 is the reason he's played PF, also as I mentioned, He was the best post player off & def on the sorry no-big-man bucks team last season!

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Let's sign DET THE THREAT instead ;).

Was the only player in the NBA in 1992-93 to finish in the top 25 in scoring (19.1 ppg), rebounding (9.5 rpg) and assists (6.0 apg)
    Won the NBA Sixth Man Award in 1990-91 and 1991-92
    Runner-up to Larry Bird in the three-point shootout during the 1987 All-Star Weekend

By the way, 3-point % in 94-95 in 82 games: .514!!!

[​IMG]

:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

Doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement.

Well just have to disagree on his defense. Me calling his defense "mediocre at best" was hardly a compliment or recognition that his defensive capabilities are close to adequate.

9. tksense

tksense Member

That's why we don't need him. But, ok, so can we agree that he's underrated in defense? Why did the media have to bash his defense every time name Kukoc is brought up? He's better than about 39% of the league... (watever).. and was very good as a buck.

okay, so how can we bring up Detlef Schrempf and Arvydas Sabonis, and Rik Smits?

:D

10. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I actually just have to respond, because on my way to work tonight I saw an enormous van, with the vanity license plate "DETLEF."

It was quite possibly the coolest thing I've ever seen in my life.