1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toni Fritsch, Rest in Peace

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RocketMan Tex, Sep 13, 2005.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

Former Oiler and Cowboy Toni Fritsch has died in Vienna Austria at age 60. :(

One of my best friends ran into him at the Grotto on Westheimer last frikking week.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3351994

Former Cowboys, Oilers kicker Fritsch dies at 60
    Associated Press

VIENNA, Austria — Toni Fritsch, a former Austrian soccer player who switched sports and became a Dallas Cowboys and Houston Oilers place-kicker, died Tuesday. He was 60.

Peter Klingelmueller, a spokesman for Rapid Vienna, the soccer club on which Fritsch played for 14 years, confirmed Fritsch's death. The Austria Press Agency reported that Fritsch collapsed and died of heart failure in Vienna after eating at a restaurant.

Fritsch played in nine matches for the Austrian national soccer team and, in 1965, scored two goals for Austria as it defeated England 3-2 in London. Six years later, he moved to the U.S. after having been recruited by the Dallas Cowboys.

In an interview last year, Fritsch recalled how he had never seen a football before meeting with the Cowboys' recruiter. A translator followed him during the early days of practice to help him understand the game.

He played for the Cowboys from 1971-1973 and in the 1975 season, helping the club beat Miami in the Super Bowl in 1972 and reach the game again in 1976, when Dallas lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

He also played for the San Diego Chargers, Oilers and New Orleans Saints. He scored 758 points in 125 games during his 11-year NFL career, 317 for Dallas.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I still remember when he came to our 5th grade class and gave us autographs (well, he gave 1 autograph that the teachers xeroxed and handed out... lol). He was one of my favorite Oilers. The only ones I put above him were Earl and Bum. He seemed like a really really nice guy.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

According to my friend that ran into him, he was a really really nice guy.

4. Austin70

Austin70 Member

RIP, I willl always remeber him as an Oiler.

5. Behad

Behad Member

[Austrian accent]"Kick football, get big check"[/Austrian accent]

RIP

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

NO DOUBT!

RIP

Rocket River

7. PhiSlammaJamma

8. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Member

He used to shop at the Whole Foods on Kirby.

Rest in peace Toni.

:(