1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tomlinson's Father Killed in Auto Accident

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by oomp, Feb 23, 2007.

1. oomp

oomp Member

Tomlinson's Father Killed in Auto Accident

Feb 23, 6:04 PM (ET)

WACO, Texas (AP) - The father of NFL MVP LaDainian Tomlinson was killed Friday when the pickup truck in which he was riding blew a tire and flipped on a highway.

Oliver Tomlinson was killed at about 1:30 p.m. in the one-vehicle rollover, said Charlie Morgan, a Texas Department of Public Safety spokesman. Tomlinson was 71.

The driver, Ronald C. McClain was rushed by ambulance to Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center, where he was listed in critical condition, Morgan said. The 48-year-old McClain is believed to be a relative of Tomlinson's, Morgan said.

Witnesses reported that a tire on the 1969 Chevrolet truck blew, causing the truck to swerve out of control and flip over near an intersection east of Waco near Asa. Both men were thrown from the truck, Morgan said.

Jewel Tomlinson, Oliver's wife and LaDainian's stepmother, said her husband and McClain had been returning to Waco after a trip to the family home in Tomlinson Hill, the Waco Tribune-Herald reported in its online edition Friday. She said Oliver, who lived in Chilton, had been staying in Waco recently while recovering from an illness.

LaDainian Tomlinson starred at Waco's University High School before going on to TCU and the San Diego Chargers.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Sad. RIP. :(

4. Mr. Brightside

Damn, that sucks. That's one sorry way to go out.

Are these tire ruptures causing rollover common? Do they occur with cars also?

5. professorjay

professorjay Member

Damn that's horrible. So sad.

I've also had my SUV flip on it's side when my tire blew out going 70 mph on the freeway. It was unbelievable that my friend and I walked away w/out a scratch.

6. heykid

heykid New Member

God Bless LT and his family :(

7. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Man, that's terrible. :(

I take it neither man was wearing seatbelts?

8. ThreePointShot

Wow, I feel for LT and his family.
    RIP Oliver Tomlinson.

9. Mordo

Mordo Member

Did you have seatbelts strapped on? That's the only way I think you could survive.

10. moligity

moligity Member

11. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

jeez. but, im wondering. why is the father of ladanian tomlinson, MVP, drving a '69 chevy beatup truck?

12. swilkins

swilkins Member

What a shame.

RIP

13. Mr. Brightside

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. At first I thought it might have been one of those classic restored trucks, but from the picture it doesn't seem like one.

14. Dionysus

Dionysus Member

article doesn't mention it, but I'm guessing neither was wearing a seat belt if they were thrown

my sister blew a tire and flipped a few times in her truck many years ago, she walked away w/o a scratch thanks to her belt.

15. Glish21

Glish21 Member

That is so damn sad... I can't even imagine how I would react

16. bonecrusher

bonecrusher Member

That is sad the New York Times did a huge story on the Tomlinson Farm in Texas and its history not too long ago.

17. giddyup

giddyup Member

Double shame.

18. finalsbound

finalsbound Member

That's shocking and sad. We've seemed to have a plethora of fatal car accidents here in Waco lately. :(

19. MoBalls

MoBalls Member

wow...this is sad. RIP

20. Mordo

Mordo Member

I agree. According to the original poster's artice, Tomlinson's brother was the driver. Tominson should have new trucks for both his father and brother. The tire still may have blown out if they had hit some nails or road debris. How can a multimillionaire let your dad and brother ride in a rusted beatup '69 Chevy truck?