1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tomjanovich shows rare love for coaching

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mduke, Dec 30, 2001.

1. mduke

mduke Member

Just found this at RealGM.....

Tomjanovich shows rare love for coaching

With so many head coaches burning up and flaming out this season -- Jeff Van Gundy, Dave Cowens, Dan Issel and Tim Floyd are out and Pat Riley, Scott Skiles, Maurice Cheeks, Larry Brown and Lon Kruger are simmering -- maybe it's time to shed a little light on a guy who actually loves the job.

2. neXXes

neXXes Member

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

True true true...

While I question his X's and O's, I never have questioned his desire for coaching.

It would have been very easy for him to bail out on the Rockets this year, in the midst of the losing streak.

It's amazing that he has been a Rocket for so long.

4. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

Who caught the Tomjanovich ice cream shop special at halftime of tonights game? :D It was awful. Anyone that didn't get to see it, be very happy that you missed it.

"Hey Rudy. Did you ever think of renaming some of your flavors...what do you think of Pralines and Plantar whatever? Moochies and Cream? MahBrotha Scotch? Hahaha"

"Now when you scoop up the ice cream, you have to use a nice clean follow-through. Yeah. Now that is good execution"

"Oh no, Sophie is coming! We have to clean up fast"

Oh man, it was so bad that I have to make a whole post about it :eek:

5. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

HAHAHA, it was terrible

Seriously though, the only thing that I really question about Rudy's style is his inability to get on his players when they do stupid things. For instance the defense last night against the Lakers was abyssmal and had I been Rudy I would've made some sort of example out of the people who were responsible for this and sent in a group who wanted to play. He never gets mad at his players and to me, it seems as though he babies them, not wanting to hurt their feelings.

6. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I miss the old, somnabulistic TV version of Rudy. You know, the one who appeared in the first version of the PDQ ad ("To find out what our high-speed internet connection can do for you, call PDQ."). Now he has this fake cheerful thing going on (like the 2nd PDQ ad - "WANT HIGH SPEED INTERNET SERVICE? CALL PDQ!!!"). Is somebody slipping Rudy T too much ginseng or something? Maybe Mattress Mac's never-ending euphoria over selling plywood furniture is contagious. Whatever it is, it spilled over to that ice-cream halftime report and was just disturbing. Maybe the reason the Rockets are losing is because Rudy's actually letting his wife draw up the plays(as he hinted in that report).

7. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Maybe that's why Rudy wanted to pick up Glen Rice...someone to console with.