1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tomjanovich: Kobe has Better Work Ethic than Dream/Drexler

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by vwiggin, Oct 1, 2004.

1. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

A pretty nice article in the LA Times about Rudy T. Just two things that caught my attention:

Kobe will *love* Rudy. :)

Wishing on a Star

By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer

Rudy Tomjanovich tells the story with delight, eyes flickering as he talks about his only trip to SkyBar, the Sunset Strip symbol of conspicuous consumption at which Tomjanovich found himself drinking and dining several years ago.

At one point, Tomjanovich excused himself from his group and asked a patron where the restroom was. He returned to his table to find his friends laughing at him.

The guy that Tomjanovich approached for directions was David Schwimmer, on top of the TV world at the time as one of the "Friends."

Tomjanovich had no idea. Hollywood has never been his strong suit.

After 34 years with the Houston Rockets as a player, scout, assistant coach and head coach, Tomjanovich has gone west, trading sirloin steak for sushi, stifling humidity for cool ocean breezes.

He won't be going to SkyBar anytime soon — he gave up drinking six years ago — but the Laker coach is adjusting on the fly to a new home in Pacific Palisades, a new level of traffic patterns, a different set of social norms.

So far so good, although he'll probably get further by broadcasting his affinity for seared ahi tuna rather than boasting of his Texas barbecuing skills that include a mouth-watering pork loin.

Either way, Tomjanovich already is being recognized in the streets as one of the faces of the Lakers, not necessarily a savior but more of a contributing factor to whatever success might come the Lakers' way. (The Lakers, for the record, put Tomjanovich — not Kobe Bryant or even Lamar Odom — on the front of their recently released pocket schedules.) Earlier in the week, Tomjanovich was acknowledged numerous times during a brisk walk along the sidewalk in front of the multimillion-dollar homes that press up against the Manhattan Beach sand.

Tomjanovich, offering a smile or a handshake in return to fans who stopped him, is happy to be here, sunburn, smog and otherwise.

He had planned to take two years off from coaching after overcoming superficial bladder cancer last year, but Laker General Manager Mitch Kupchak came calling in July after Phil Jackson's contract was not renewed.

"I'm sort of surprised I'm here myself," Tomjanovich said between bites of pumpkin ravioli at a Manhattan Beach eatery. "I didn't think the opportunity would be presented. I thought the timing would be off."

It almost was. The Lakers initially offered the job to Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski, who declined after pondering it for almost a week. During that time, "Rudy did pace the floor quite a bit," said his wife, Sophie.

The Lakers then turned to Tomjanovich, who took quick stock of the roster and, eyes wide open, agreed to become the Lakers' 16th coach since their move to Los Angeles in 1960.

Bryant had not yet re-signed, and Shaquille O'Neal reiterated his desire to leave the Lakers in a phone conversation with Tomjanovich, saying firmly, "I don't want you to get the idea I'm going to be here, because I'm not."

Said Tomjanovich: "I never had the vision that I would coach last year's Laker team. Stuff had already been said. It didn't have to be explained. All you had to do was read the paper.

"I'd love to be in a situation where everything was stacked. That just doesn't seem to be my calling. If you're going to wait for that to happen, it might never happen. When I was in Houston, it definitely wasn't a stacked team. We had to build it with acquisitions."

When Bryant signed with the Lakers on July 15 and sexual-assault charges against him were dropped six weeks later, Tomjanovich had at least one superstar left on the roster. Tomjanovich has long been a fan of Bryant's game, a notion that was confirmed as he watched Bryant during recent workouts.

"Hakeem [Olajuwon], Clyde [Drexler] were amazing and professional. This guy's at another level," Tomjanovich said. "I used to read about the Larry Bird workouts, how they would take place over and over, doing this and that. That's how Kobe is.

"There are players that their talent allows them to be lax in [certain] areas. I don't see 1% of that in this guy at all."

Jordanesque?

"Very much so," Tomjanovich said.

Tomjanovich will not run the triangle offense — an up-tempo ideal will be employed instead — and he will not be as controversial or flamboyant as Jackson. He prefers to settle differences privately and does not challenge players via the media, as Jackson often did.

"A guy could shoot one for 45, and Rudy would not make a sarcastic comment," longtime Houston Chronicle columnist Fran Blinebury said. "He is undyingly loyal to players, and most of the time he gets loyalty back."

Tomjanovich's resolve caught Kupchak's eye during the interview process. The other candidates to replace Jackson — Pat Riley, Roy Williams and Krzyzewski — were relatively silent when reminded by Kupchak that the Laker roster was in flux. Tomjanovich was unfazed.

"He desperately wanted to be the coach of the Lakers," Kupchak said. "He said, 'If Shaq's there and Kobe's there, great. But if they're not there, I want to be the coach.' It was a big leap of faith. Huge."

Tomjanovich has had to take similar leaps in the past.

After playing 11 seasons for the Rockets, he paid his dues for almost nine years as a Rocket assistant coach before finally getting his shot in February 1992, replacing Don Chaney.

Despite the presence of Olajuwon, the team had been struggling. Olajuwon would score 45 points and the Rockets would still lose, setting up a Hakeem-Against-the-World environment. A more important mantra, Hakeem Trusts His Teammates, was established shortly after Tomjanovich's promotion.

Tomjanovich implored the guards, even the unpredictable Vernon Maxwell, to throw the ball down low to Olajuwon, and, conversely, told Olajuwon to toss the ball back out to the guards on occasion. Everybody had touches, everybody was happy.

Under Tomjanovich, the Rockets won NBA championships in 1994 and 1995.

Tomjanovich won't predict similar success for the Lakers — it's not his nature — but with training camp beginning Tuesday in San Diego, Tomjanovich likes his chances.

"I feel good about having a great player like Kobe, and I like the work ethic I've seen of these guys who are coming in a couple weeks early," he said. "It's really a new era. Everything we start building is a positive."

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

1. He didn't say what your thread title suggests. Quit paraphrasing for your own good. Quote the truth.
    2. The Lakers have a BBS, too. Post it there, and see what happens.
    3. CHANGE YOUR FREAKIN' signature, dude. :mad:

(for posterity, it said "Lakers in 7. Yeah. That's right. Lakers.")

#2 SwoLy-D, Oct 1, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  3. vwiggin

Ummm... chill dude. I'm not a huge fan of Kobe or anything. In fact, I'm still pissed at him for driving Shaq away.

As for the quote, I don't think I misinterpreted Rudy. Rudy said Dream and Clyde were amazing, but Kobe is at another level. The preceding and subsequent sentence were both referring to workouts. Clearly Rudy is comparing Kobe's practice habits with that of Dream, Clyde, and Larry.

I'm not saying I agree with him. Since I have never seen any of these NBA players in training camp, I have no idea if Kobe indeed is a harder worker than two HOFers.

I love how Rudy always back up his players. But I fear too much praising and pampering of Kobe might encourage him to toss up 50 shots a game. I would really hate that. I would rather watch Piston-type team ball than a one-man highlight reel anyday.

4. vwiggin

And please shut the hell up about my sig. Is a person precluded from being a Laker fan AND and Rocket's fan?

I know you guys have a great time poking fun at the "Fakers." Yeah, a lot of that criticism is deserved (last year was an absolute CIRCUS in lala land).

But Lakers have a great tradition too and I'm proud to be a fan.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

We're not going to move this one to the D&D, right? :D

Don't worry, that " :mad: " smiley (is this an oxymoron?) is there just because I hate the FAKERS, not you. I'm chilled now, but not as wiggly as Jell-O. :)

You're right about the level thing, Dream and Glyde don't get called by Colorado Prosecution. ;) I hate the Rapist Bryant as well.

"Everybody who hates BEAN say 'I'!... [ I! ]... allright, let me write it on the chalkboard... " George Lopez :p

This sentence is here just to use one more smiley :eek:

6. vwiggin

Believe you me, you cannot possibly hate the Lakers as much as I do.

I know it doesn't make sense, but it really hurts me to see Kobe tear up what Jerry West has worked so hard to build up. I don't know if Kobe's a rapist, but I certainly feel violated by that guy.

I grew up with guys like Magic, Worthy and AC Green. Sure one of them has AIDS, one of them bangs hookers, and the other is a fifty year-old virgin, but they were team players who knew how to win. Now I don't even recognize my team anymore. :(

I apologize for going off on you like that. :)

You're right, I probably should've just posted the article without making any controversial interpretations. If it came across as "Kobe is better than Dream/Clyde", I apologize. I certainly didn't mean it like that.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I was in LA during the Showtime years. They kept their game on the court and their troubles in the locker room. They were a joy for the fans. Magic - Bird. Kareem - Hakeem. Coooooper. Superman.

The imploding Lakers under PJ, Shaq, and Kobe were uglifying, and over several years, until, like Mt St Helens (the original) blowed ugly.

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

This is why I don't think Rudy, Kobe and the new Lakers are going to work.

Instead of the "Lakeshow", it is going to be the "MeKobe Show". There is going to be no way that team is going to be focused on collective goals above all else.

Not saying many coaches could fix it, but Rudy certainly won't be able to with his players approach. Kobe's buttkissing started before he even took the job.

9. xcharged

xcharged Member

There is Dream..and there is everyone else

10. cody

cody Member

4 the record it no way you can be a TRUE rockets fan a not HATE the lakers.. the fakers had last year my 4 most hated players on one team....

Kobe, Malone, Fisher, Fox

Shaq and Jack were the only reason people loved watching the lakers..

11. vwiggin

So Cody, if Malone (the healthy one) wanted to play for the Rockets last year, and the Rockets actually sign him, would you stop being a Rockets fan?

Fisher flops a lot, but he is actually one of the few players I respect on that god forsaken team.

12. cson

cson Contributing Member

For me:Yes..Rockets EVER sign Karl Malone and I am out.

I've been a hardcore Rocket fan since '91 and it ain't always easy, but some lines you do not cross. You don't have sex w/ your sister or worship a golden cow AND you do not put Karl Malone in a Rockets uniform...its in the bible. or something

13. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Coach RudyT was just trying to patronize Lakers fans and Kobe here. All coaches do that. But I do not like it though.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I have to believe Rudy T. I don't think he is just kissing butt. I think Clyde Drexler was a great player, but I don't think he ever improved his game. Not saying he wasn't a hard worker as a player, but we saw his work ethic when he got the UofH job.

I have a harder time believing Kobe works as hard as Dream. One of the things I miss about Dream is the way he played so damn hard on both sides of the court. It was really amazing to see that guy carry the offense and defense, and be the rebounder he was.

15. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

ME TOO!!!

16. codell

codell Contributing Member

Actually, Clyde's crappy job as a college headcoach aside, the way he improved in the NBA from his rookie year to the Clyde of the late 80s is pretty well documented, specifically his jump shot.

17. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I don't particuarly care if it's true or not, but I think it's just Rudy backing up Kobe and trying to help shed a positive light on him during this whole Kobe/Shaq fiasco which grew stale the moment the whole thing started.

18. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

I think it was in the bible, but not in that particular order.

19. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

That's the way I see it. Think about it. Rudy is surrounded by Laker fans, media, players and coaches. Of course he's going to give Kobe complements and make comparisons (albeit, embellished a bit). Rudy said the same type of things about Barkley the first time he coached him. He was acting like it was the first time he had seen CB play, or something (he gushed over Charles).

We'll see how well Kobe can lead a team (to the Finals?) by himself. Both Hakeem (Houston) and Drexler (Portland) lead their respective teams to the Finals. Just getting there as the "main man" is hard enough, much less winning it all.

#19 DavidS, Oct 2, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2004
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding. I watched Clyde at UH, and he improved amazingly after being in the league. He had that raw, incredible athleticism with the Coogs, as did Akeem, in his own unique way (of course, Dream was also learning the game), and Clyde just kept learning... from Guy Lewis (who should be in the Hall!), and after getting into the NBA. Clyde improved his 3 point shooting over the years, to where he was decent, with the occasional hot streak. He almost always shot for a good %, and became a real mid-range threat, instead of getting most of his points around the basket. He improved tremendously as a passer. The guy averaged 6.1 assists in 145 playoff games! His assist to turnover ratio should make Steve Francis turn red with embarrassment. He averaged 2 steals a game for his career... 6+ rebounds.

It's hard to say too many good things about Drexler's game. The dude was just unreal. pgabriel, I wasn't happy about his tenure as coach at UH, but what in the hell does that have to do with his NBA game? Nothing.