1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Thibs and Daryl sitting together

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Brolandry, Mar 11, 2016.

1. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

thibs sent his team down to the ground with his rotations. there's a reason why he was fired. but he's also a great disciplined coach with decent offensive schemes. i'll take him with caution of the garbage coaching this yr.

2. Mr Chuck Norris

The underrated aspect in Thibs is the improved play of PG's under his watch...rose, AB, hinrich, Rondo, etc.

3. bmd

bmd Member

The minutes distribution last season between the Rockets and Bulls were almost identical.

Maybe he works them hard in practice. Who knows.

But what I do know is that he gets results. In his 5 seasons with the Bulls, their records were:

50-32
    48-34
    45-37
    50-16 (On pace for a 62 win season)
    62-20

And their best player, Derrick Rose, was hurt for those last 3 seasons.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Keep Thibs as far away from this team as possible.

Don't want him to ruin the careers of our players with his silly 120% all the time, even in practice, mentality.

5. Nook

Nook Member

He was fired because the President and GM of the Bulls did not like him. He wanted an extension, the Bulls did nothing.... then eventually offered him an extension, which sat unsigned for months (after the Bulls announced the signing) which only upset Paxson. Couple that with the shouting match over the draft (Thibs wanted Draymond Green and Paxson at the last minute took Teague).... and then the unilateral "firing" of Ron Adams (a no-no in NBA circles) and you have a serious mutual vendetta between Paxson and Thibs.

It came down to "either/or" and the Bulls 80 year old owner picked the guy he has known for 30 years.

All the talk about minutes and rotations have proven to be bunk. Hoiberg is playing his guys almost the same minutes, and the rotations that Paxson wanted have proven to be very ineffective.

The issue is really Les Alexander. Thibs was part of Jeff Van Gundy's coaching staff and Alexander did not like the "us versus them" mentality that Jeff and his staff had. Since then Jeff has apologized and somewhat made up with Alexander. If Les is willing to embrace Thibs I suspect a deal could be worked out with a large contract.

Morey has had almost complete control (outside of Alexander) but this season has been a humbling experience. If he and Thibs are on the same page, then I could see Morey allowing the latitude for Thibs to have serious input on basketball moves.

Also for his part Thibs is more embracing of advanced statistics than in the past. He keeps his own statistics and has spent a lot of time around other coaches since leaving the Bulls.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Tibs would be fantastic. he's a great coach. he's familiar with the organization and the city. would solve our defensive issues.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yeah, who wants players to give it their all on each possession, surely not the Rockets. JBB already has them playing hard enough at 60%, most nights.

:rolleyes:

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I get the feeling . . . as soon as Thibs was available
    McH was outtie

This season is the 'make it look good and not like Thibs is stabbing McH too hard in the back taking the gig over his grave(Firing)" season

Rocket River

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

I don't think you would be satisfied with any owner other than Cuban. Imagine if the team were run by someone like you, it would be disastrous. You are too emotional and get too attached to players/your warped vision.

Les, Morey, Thibs. I like our chances.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

I disagree. You and I look at those articles, and all you see are theories about Thibs' coaching is aging/wearing out his players. How his coaching style is outdated.

I see where he is lauded as THE BEST coach in the game, taken his team to 5 straight playoffs (even with his best players injured), was the mastermind behind the most recent Celtic championship teams and who's PASSION for the game is only exceeded by his knowledge of basketball and ability to teach it.

I see a coach who demands the best, from himself, his players and the organization. I see a coach who motivated Harden to scratch the surface of his defensive potential. I see a coach who will not utter the words "the team did not give enough effort", "did not try hard enough" or "have to get better on defense".

Give me a team that will give its all every night, and I will not ask for more. Working hard, passion for what you do, accountability, results. Those are things that will not, should not, be outdated.

Because when that day comes we will all be the poorer for it.

12. curbur

curbur Member

I hope Thibs is our coach next year.

13. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I really don't understand why people think he breaks players.

You've got D-Rose, an injury prone superstar.

I'm going to assume that's why everyone suddenly thinks Thibs ruins careers?

Just lol.

Now if we're looking at Thibs coached teams with 8 people sitting in suits at the end of the bench there'd be some truth to that statement.

Anyone who doesn't want Thibs here because 'he runs players into the ground' does not know much about winning basketball.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe if we were prepared to play right out of the gate, blowing people out in 3 quarters like the GSW do, and not kept digging a deep hole in the first quarter, we would not have to play our stars so many minutes.

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

We got it after the 300th time you posted this opinion. Please shut the **** up about it already.

16. amaru

amaru Member

He has a reputation for breaking guys.

17. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Amen! Let's let our players show up over weight, not try for the first 40% of the first half in the majority of games, then try to dig ourselves out of holes all while playing less minutes per game to save for the playoff dream that may or may no happen!

True winning mentality this team has. I'm so glad our players are given the freedom to choose whether they play at 30% or 100% - with no inbetween.

Aren't you larsv8?

18. Nook

Nook Member

Pat Riley isn't leaving Miami.

Greg Popovich isn't leaving San Antonio.

Rick Carlisle (Morey's favorite) isn't leaving Dallas and has a reputation as difficult.

So... Who do you want? Especially for this team and organization.

Unless you are going to catch lightening in a bottle like GS (players that basically coach themselves and by random circumstance fit perfect), tell me who is a coach that can challenge the GM (an equal) and know how to coach and handle people?

Coach K isn't leaving Duke... there are not great assistants that have experience and are ready. If you go the college route and target a Smart, you MIGHT end up with a Brad Stevens type coach in three or four years.... but very unlikely you get that from year one, and even in the case of Stevens, coaching Crowder and Sullinger is vastly different than telling Howard or Harden to step in front of a screen.

Ettore Messina maybe, but do the Rockets have the time to risk it?