1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Thibs and Daryl sitting together

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Brolandry, Mar 11, 2016.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2003 1st:

January 21, 1999: Traded Mirsad Turkcan to the Philadelphia 76ers for a 2003 1st round draft pick (Carlos Delfino was later selected). ---> June 27, 2001: Traded a 2003 1st round draft pick (Carlos Delfino was later selected) to the Atlanta Hawks for Terence Morris.

August 27, 1999: As part of a 3-team trade, the Houston Rockets traded Antoine Carr, Michael Dickerson, Othella Harrington, Brent Price and a 2003 1st round draft pick (Marcus Banks was later selected) to the Vancouver Grizzlies; the Orlando Magic traded Don MacLean and a 2001 1st round draft pick (Jason Collins was later selected) to the Houston Rockets; the Orlando Magic traded a 2002 2nd round draft pick (Matt Barnes was later selected) to the Vancouver Grizzlies; the Vancouver Grizzlies traded Steve Francis and Tony Massenburg to the Houston Rockets; and the Vancouver Grizzlies traded Lee Mayberry, Makhtar N'Diaye, Rodrick Rhodes and Michael Smith to the Orlando Magic.

2004 1st:

September 30, 2003: Traded Glen Rice, a 2004 1st round draft pick (Pavel Podkolzin was later selected), a 2005 2nd round draft pick (Robert Whaley was later selected) and a 2006 2nd round draft pick (Dee Brown was later selected) to the Utah Jazz for John Amaechi and a 2004 2nd round draft pick (Luis Flores was later selected). Houston also received a trade exception from Utah.

June 29, 2004: Traded Kelvin Cato, Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley to the Orlando Magic for Reece Gaines, Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue and Tracy McGrady.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

k-i-s-s-i-n-g

3. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Agree with what most people said. Would love to have Thibs, as long as he didn't run our starters to the ground.

I like what GS is doing. They play their starters around 35 min and if it's a blow out, they will sit them the rest of the game instead of letting them pad their stats or risk getting an injury on a meaningless win/loss.

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I would like to groom Bickerstaff.

I think he's improved.

He is starting to get a better effort from players.

I wouldn't write him off yet.

Saying that, of course I wouldn't mind Thibs either. He's a great coach.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm agreeing that having Yao and TMac should have been good enough to contend. As I said in my post, Morey would have got better role players to surround them. CD could not. Had we had Morey earlier in the Yao-McGrady era, history might have been different. But CD did get us Yao and McGrady. That should be to his credit.

BTW, I believe that Yao+McGrady > Howard+Harden (when healthy).

By the time Morey arrived, it was pretty much too late because both Yao and TMac were breaking down. With Morey on board, Adelman had better role players but never had the luxury of having both stars healthy together. The window was already closed.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

My point which I made terribly, was that first round picks are not that valuable when you have Yao and Tmac.

How important has Dekker been this year?

First round picks are shots in the dark - and it is shocking how many people on here over value them.

DD

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thibodeau is the coach we need.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, but if he didn't like his time here with Les or Morey - he may not want to come here.

He make like them as people but may NOT like them as bosses.

DD

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think the feeling may be mutual. morey might like thibs as a person but not as an employee. he wouldn't be a puppet for analytics.the same can be said for other top candidates such as JVG, messina, and boylen.

guys like walton, brooks, and hollins have the best chance with the rockets... for better or worse.

however, i'm hoping for an out of the box coach like battier or ollie.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I would love to see Battier coach a team, be it Rockets or not. But I don't think that's what he wants to do.

Maybe if he ran for president, Trump wouldn't have a chance. :grin:

11. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

This is such bull****. @david2000 and I can prove it.

First of all, Thibs was there but he was in LOGE 6 sitting three rows in front of row A.

Second of all, he did not sit next to Morey and Thibs spent most of his time watching Harden shoot over Clifford Ray.

Morey was not in the public crowd.

12. jacoby

jacoby Member

This doesn't prove much of anything

13. Scionxa

Oh it doesn't? K

14. Scionxa

Tell me more

[​IMG]

15. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Hulu will make a show out of this.

3/11/16

16. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

I would be ecstatic if Thibs was our coach next year.

17. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Morey wasn't in the public eye, may have been at the game, but wasn't seen during warm ups before the game, and didn't see them during the game

Scionxa and I were sitting 12 rows behind the basket Rockets bench side, I took this shot with Thibs talking to one of our assistants Clifford Ray

[​IMG]

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Burn even more Money. Battier is the white Bickerstaff.
    He is the king of moral victories and pussying out. He has no honor.

19. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

how'd the bulls workout?

i guess better than jb.

20. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Bulls were hamstrung by some poor roster decisions, like not trading Gibson when he had excellent trade value. You can argue that Thibs contributed to the Bulls' injuries (likely in the case of Butler and Noah, less likely in the case of Rose who just had fluke injury after injury but never learned to play at a sustainable pace), but hopefully he's learned his lesson. But it's not like JBB is doing anything different with Harden et al. Thibs kept them consistently competitive and if he can rein in his tendency to play his stars 40+ minutes and also take advice from a bonafide associate head coach like D'Antoni or someone who really understands offense (Gentry? who is a great assistant but awful head coach), he could be exactly what we need.