1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Savage - Texans' fourth round (#135 overall) pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch, May 10, 2014.

?

Do you agree with this draft pick?

1. YES

185 vote(s)
    74.9%
  2. NO

62 vote(s)
    25.1%
  1. Major

Major Member

But I think this tells you what you need to know about Savage. If they valued him as a late 4th rounder, then they didn't value him very highly. In other words, they are taking a flier and hoping, but people shouldn't really expect much.

Nothing wrong with the pick and taking a flier on the guy and seeing if you hit - just an overwhelming likelihood he amounts to nothing. More than likely, they will still be looking for a QB next season.

2. conquistador#11

Just great 24 years old looks 40 and graying. sick and tired of this. when are we going to get a quarterback who is not afraid to pair red pants with a loud checkered shirt.
    (insert kentucky derby brady and rodgers pics)

ps: no homo.

psps: Filled many holes with the picks. Savage already had a thread back in march so CF knew what was up =)

3. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Just checked out his film vs. Notre Dame. Here's a few of my takeaways.

1. Pocket Presence: Pitt's porous offensive line was made even more pathetic by Notre Dame's stout defensive front, but Savage hardly seemed to notice. He managed to maneuver himself away from pass-rushers, step up in the pocket to make throws and was seemingly unfazed by defenders running right at him. He may get mobility comparisons to Matt Schaub, but he's not afraid to get hit, and he certainly doesn't curl up in the fetal position.

2. Arm Strength: Just wow. This kid has A GUN. This is definitely the best part of his game; the ball just shoots out of his arm. His throws are almost always perfect spirals, and his compact throwing motion only makes it even better. His one fade-throw in the red-zone for a touchdown was awesome, he just gunned that thing in there right to his receiver.

3. Accuracy: Probably his most problematic area. He doesn't seem to have accuracy issues when he has sufficient time in the pocket to set up his footwork perfectly, but whenever he's hurried and placed off-balance, his accuracy can definitely be slightly off. Then again, he also made some terrific throws when he was just barely escaping from pass-rushers. Certainly seems like a correctable issue.

4. Mobility: He's not fast or athletic by any means, but he appears to possess solid vision and good decision-making skills. He knows when to take off, and he's actually able to pick up a good amount of yardage. Not afraid to sacrifice his body to get a few extra yards, either.

Overall--and this was the first time I ever actually watched him--I think he's a really talented player. Simple experience, especially when he's getting taught by B'OB, will make him even better than he is right now. His flaws seem correctable, and his physical talent is beyond impressive. I'm excited; I think he has starter potential.

Here's the video.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1UjRLdSBx7E?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. delishman

delishman Member

Mid-Round Flier. Crapshoot. 2015 QB time.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Actually, they'd be telling their fans that they have common sense and are starting the guy that gives them the best chance to win games.

Ryan Fitzpatrick's 2013 rating/QBR: 82.0/55.4
    Case Keenum's 2013 rating/QBR: 78.2/34.5

Ryan Fitzpatrick career wins: 27
    Case Keenum career wins: 0

Yeah, I'll take the bigger QB with a quicker release and a better resume over the undrafted free agent who went winless in eight starts. It's not even that close, really. (And before anyone trots out the "but, but the offensive line wasn't good!" excuse for Keenum, consider what Fitzpatrick had to work with in Buffalo and Tennessee.)

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You listed QBR and "WINZ".....C'mon, you can do better than that.

7. The Cat

What metrics do you want to go by? I listed those simply because they're some of the more obvious statistics used. Pretty confident no matter what standard you want to judge by, Ryan Fitzpatrick is a better quarterback than Case Keenum. It's just silly to even argue otherwise.

8. The Cat

Here's some of the more advanced QB metrics from Football Outsiders, and you can take a more in-depth look at Fitz/Keenum from last year. Hint: you'll have to scroll down quite a bit to get to Case.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not even arguing that, just pointing out that you pointed to a worthless ESPN invented stat that has "clutch factor" as a part of their metric and a team accomplishment....Probably the 2 worst ways to judge QB's

10. The Cat

Oh, I agree. The FO stuff is definitely better, I was just including the QBR and wins numbers because they're generally more commonly accepted (though as you said, they're flawed).

Really, it doesn't matter what we use, because the gap is pretty big here.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm of the opinion that criticizing late round picks in of itself doesn't make sense on draft day. Yes, it's okay to do it when you take stock of a front office's record over a 5 year span. But seriously, no one today know who is the best player available.

Given that it seems like BOB was a popular hire, and that Texans fans are generally in agreement that we should leave the QB scouting to him, shouldn't we just be glad he found a QB he likes? Who cares if it's not Bridgewater or Manziel. If you trust the coach, then you trust who he drafts. If you don't like his choice, then it means you don't think he's good enough to know who's a good QB.

Personally, Savage seems like the definition of what essentially is a 5th round pick should look like. All the physical tools to be a top round pick. All of the question marks that made him drop this far. Of course he's inaccurate. If he has prototypical size, top arm strength, and superb accuracy to boot, you think he'd last even 4 picks much less 4 rounds?

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Sorry if posted already:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23HOUPick&amp;src=hash">#HOUPick</a> Anyone who inquired about Savage, former Rutgers HC Greg Schiano signed off. Believes can be 10-12 yr player in NFL</p>&mdash; Chris Mortensen (@mortreport) <a href="https://twitter.com/mortreport/statuses/465189015751507968">May 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Asked an executive of a team that worked out all the QBs, who had the most impressive Pro Day: Tom Savage was the answer. He can sling it</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/statuses/465189098937151488">May 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. mick fry

mick fry Member

As for the starting qb, im sure who ever O'B runs out there is who he thinks gives this team the best chance to win. May the best man win the job. As for Savage, you just never know how he will develop under a coach like O'B. He may be just the guy that O'B wanted all along.

14. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Keenum is done BoB is not keeping 3 qbs. Fitz is our starter next season, deal with it.

15. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

looks like bortles, except a few tens of million dollars cheaper

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Not even close to the same type of player. Bortles is an athletic guy that can move around in the pocket and can break the pocket and make a positive play with his legs or throwing on the run.

Savage is not mobile at all.

17. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I would have taken McCarron. But if I'm honest, I haven't really watched Savage play enough to make a fair judgment... Hope it works out!

18. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

did you see the video? he looks pretty nimble in the pocket

19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I'll wait to judge since I don't haven't seen him play much. Could be lightning in a bottle... who knows.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He is better than Schaub in terms of mobility, but he's not "mobile."