1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Savage - Texans' fourth round (#135 overall) pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch, May 10, 2014.

?

Do you agree with this draft pick?

1. YES

185 vote(s)
    74.9%
  2. NO

62 vote(s)
    25.1%
  1. mazinger

mazinger Member

They would have sucked with any quarter back in this draft and would have probably been worse with Manziel, your preferred QB.

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I guess their mindset is : With AJ, we are going to be a f**king boring team at best, winning by 10-6, or 9-7 that kind of score and probably be a 8-8 or 7-9 team.

Well, then lets roll the dice, either we hit a jackpot with this guy or somehow Keenum transformed into something amazing, otherwise we will just suck for another year and build from that. Do or die still better than stuck at the middle.

3. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I guess they also want to suck for next year too. We really need a quarterback and this is not a game changer. Average at best. He will get cut during the preseason.
    Expect us winning 6 games next year folks.

4. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

McCarron is still on the board.

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Never liked Manziel, but I think AJ gave them the better fit in their system to be a football manager instead of a playmaker. I do agree they are going to suck most likely anyway.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Bill O'Brien on ESPN talking about Savage. Said all the quarterbacks will compete for the job:

I think it was a really strong quarterback class. I've said that a bunch of times. I've watched all of these guys on tape and they're all really good players.

I think at the end of the day, I think we want to try to find what was the best fit for the Houston Texans, with all the positions and all the draft picks that we have. So when it was time to make this pick this afternoon, and obviously Rick and I had talked about this, Tom was a guy sitting there and we had a really good experience with him at Pitt, at his Pro Day, interviewing him, sitting down with him, and we're excited to work with Tom Savage.

First of all, I think he's a good kid. I think he's an honest guy. I think he's a guy who has grown up in his years in college. I think he was very honest about that. I think he's a guy who has a good arm. I think he's an accurate passer and he's smart. He's an articulate guy. I think the one thing you look at when you play quarterback in this league: Are you accurate? Are you able to communicate with your teammates? All the things that go into being a good quarterback here . We're excited about working with this guy and getting him in our program and teaching him how we do things offensively.

7. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Interesting perspective, I think you're probably right. Lets hope they see something I don't, because I could really envision McCarron becoming a solid starter if given the right situation.

8. FEAR THE BEARD

Should've take McCarron, Murray, or Mettenburg over him. Average qb at best, not what the texans need to contend in future.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They still can take any of those.....

10. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Wait I thought the knock on him was his accuracy. He must have been money at pro day.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He was supposed to have had one of the best pro day's among any QB in this class, also BOB has seen him for a year in practice already.

12. justafriend

justafriend Member

That quote makes me groan. "First of all he's a good kid." Eff that, not another era of nice guy football please.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

False, they want to win as many games as possible next year.

That's why they picked up Fitzpatrick. Yeah I know, he's no world beater but he's a veteran QB that has won some games.

I think the Texans spent their time strengthening their strength...building around their BEST players in Watt. Giving him massive help on the line, which will help Cushing and the secondary as well. There is a shot the Texans have a REALLY good defense next season. We'll see.

As for offense they want to run the ball and again build around one of their best players in Foster...who has shown that he can practically carry a offense.

They may not win games pretty next year (if they do win games) but this team is very capable of winning games next year AS long as the QB doesn't go out there and throw picks (which is what hurt them a lot last year of course.)

NO team in the NFL goes "Hey, lets suck this year!" I haven't seen it happened and see no evidence that teams tank in the NFL. People say the Colts did but they fail to realize that the Colts lost Manning among other key players that year too.

Savage is a project though, I think that's the best you can do when you are drafting a QB this late in the draft.

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

How did he see him in practice for a year?

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I misspoke, I meant that he would have exposure to him due to being the starting QB of an in-stat rival.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Of course there is a legitimate argument that belief is fallacious due to the fallacy of omniscience by proximity.....but eh

17. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

You cant be serious.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Pitt, Penn State, same thing. ;)

19. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Some of you sound liked whipped puppies. This is a new regime. If Kubiak said that then yeah I would be worried. BoB is the same guy that yelled at Brady and has coached the best. A mentally tough football player is a "good kid" to BoB. Not the same for the Kubiak regime. Also BoB better get a guy he can stand with how much time they will be spending together.
    We have got to realize these are completely different eras where physical mentally tough football players are valued highly. See patriots and Seahawks for examples.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I would have rather had Aaron Murray over Savage.