1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Savage - Texans' fourth round (#135 overall) pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch, May 10, 2014.

?

Do you agree with this draft pick?

1. YES

185 vote(s)
    74.9%
  2. NO

62 vote(s)
    25.1%
  1. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

TOMMY FOOTBALL aka YOUNG NIC CAGE

2. MystikArkitect

Yep. People would be surprised how good an Oline and coach can make a QB look. Russell Wilson is an athletic game manager, pieces around him are elite and coaches made 5th rounders look like 1st rounders.

3. Win

Win Contributing Member

Part of me really likes this pick. The emotional 'Hell Yeah' part. Maybe Bob really see's something!

The other part of me suspects it is a gratuitous, wasted pick. I just have to believe they have bigger plans for getting a future starting QB.

Get ready for a healthy dose of Keenum and less likely Fitz this upcoming year.

4. Cypress

Cypress Member

Schuab v2.0??

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Or maybe they disagreed with the scouts and didn't think any of them were really that good.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They had no interestin in Manziel, so it would have been forcing him on BOB and how often does it work out when you force a QB on your head coach?

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Unless Keenum takes a big step forward or Fitz looks awful in camp, Fitz will be the starter.

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Oh.

I figured they would cut the one that cost more. Was thinking it was Yates cause at least he was drafted.

9. justtxyank

Think Schaub with a little more mobility, a lot less accuracy and a lot more arm strength.

10. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Id pet that kitty...
    and the cat is cool to

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First off, I have faith in BOB and QB's.

Second, what makes you think we're hanging our hat on this guy.

And this is coming from someone who wanted to see us take Richardson or Fleming at OT or Roberson at CB...then move back up for Murray.

You want value in a draft, esp. in the fourth....There are circumstaces surrounding Savage that say he might very well be a great pick...all those schools, systems, and coaches....yet here he is.

And he DID look great while leading Pitt.

In the end...TRUST BOB on this...It's his area of expertise. Tom has a cannon and high IQ...I'm good with it.

12. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Yes and that's where I personally have my doubts with him. He needs that prototypical size, the next Brady. If you find him great, but chances are you will be disappointed.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock">@JaysonBraddock</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/PatDStat">@PatDStat</a> With Savage and Mercilus, all we need is a player named &quot;Babyeater&quot; and no one will want to even play us</p>&mdash; Brian in Conroe (@ConroeBrian) <a href="https://twitter.com/ConroeBrian/statuses/465190730382983169">May 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. Cypress

Cypress Member

lol so it a flip flop fml :eek:

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Who says it had anything to do with size? I doubt they would have had any interest in Manziel if he was 6'4 230

16. Win

Win Contributing Member

If Fitz wins the preseason battle and the position is not just handed to him, I would be happy to see him start over Keenum. Just wanna see some production.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Valuing a position doesn't mean you reach for guys that your staff don't have confidence in. Just because you need help at a position doesn't magically make all of the available options good ones.

Assuming they were interested in Bortles, Garapollo, Thomas, and Savage and not in Manziel/Bridgewater (all supposition), it's reasonable to think O'Brien did not see an immediate impact starter for his offense in this draft class. Savage is a relatively low risk gamble. It's senseless to pass up highly rated impact starters at other positions of need to reach and take a high risk guy on day 1 or 2 that you aren't confident about.

Tread water for a year and chase your stud in 2015. Some year's simply don't have a franchise guy to offer. Don't be like Jacksonville and waste a high pick on the next Gabbert.

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

19. justtxyank

I bet they would have. They loved Bortles and despite what people say, Bortles is not the sit in the pocket Brady type. He's a mobile QB.

I think the biggest knock on Manziel is the size. Not only height that limits his ability to see the field, but he's small short, not built short like Russell Wilson.

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Could you guys imagine if this guy sat on our bench for two years and then just sucked, he would have gotten scholarships to 3 universities and an NFL contract for playing like 20 pretty good games games in 6 years.