1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Savage - Texans' fourth round (#135 overall) pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch, May 10, 2014.

?

Do you agree with this draft pick?

1. YES

185 vote(s)
    74.9%
  2. NO

62 vote(s)
    25.1%
  1. The Real Shady

Ease up expectations. BOB has a complex system and Savage is still trying to adjust to the speed of the NFL. In addition to that he was never able to succeed in college. He's a project. Don't expect anything this year.

2. Remii

Remii Member

Not a good look for Savage tonight.

3. thedude077

thedude077 Member

He's a 4th round rookie, what do you expect? He'll develop though.

4. ipaman

ipaman Member

I can't believe people having any expectations for Savage this year. Give me a break.

5. DAROckets

DAROckets Member

I don't think anyone was expecting the guy to be a world beater, maybe just a little glimmer of what the Texans might have seen in him ... so far nada .. dude looks 2 years away from selling insurance .

6. Two Sandwiches

Dude played one full year of college football. He's got the size and the tools.

Teams obviously saw something that he was being talked about as a 2nd to 5th round pick leading up to the draft. I'm willing to give him a year or two to let him catch up to things. Hell, he barely got a chance to catch up to the college game. His college offense wasn't terribly pass happy.

7. MadMax

MadMax Member

He won't necessarily develop. He's a 4th round pick. They needed a QB but they chose to address other positions. Maybe they didn't think there were any others out there worth taking. I disagree with them, but my job isn't hanging in the balance.

8. Buck Turgidson

Obviously Rick Smith's isn't either.

9. MadMax

MadMax Member

well played :)

10. Remii

Remii Member

More than what he showed.

Can't necessarily use the "He's a 4th round pick" excuse... Especially not when the theme seems to be the Texans don't need a good to great quarterback _ they only need a "game manger." Also that excuse can't necessarily be used when Zach Mettenburger has showed a lot of promise his 1st two pre-season games... Hopefully he'll have a better showing next time out.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

Just like people overreacted from Bortles' good game.

Just like people overreacted from Bridgewater's good game.

It's still preseason of rookie year folks.

We're not asking for Aaron Rodgers-type patience here, but give him a little bit of a leash. Put things in perspective.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

Savage was drafted because of of his size/tools and his potential. He hasn't played much football and is far from polished. The vast majority of 4th round (and later) QBs don't do squat in the league. If you're going to take a chance on a QB that late (and they're all risks that late), then you might as well draft somebody with potential like Savage or Logan Thomas than guys who seem to have almost already maxed out like Mettenberger or McCarron.

He's probably never going to do anything in the NFL. And going by the history of 4th rounders, nobody should really expect him to. If he ever does anything productive, great. If not, well what did you expect, he was a 4th round QB.

13. thedude077

thedude077 Member

THIS.:)

14. Remii

Remii Member

People overreact to the Texans beating Atlanta in the pre-season...
    Or is that different...???

15. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Member

He was a late 4th round pick, a compensatory pick too.

Even O'Brien said he didn't expect Savage too be ready this early in his career.

16. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Member

O'Brien just wanted Savage to focus on managing the offense.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...d-up-vs-falcons-ready-for-broncos/#25958101=0

Savage still has his training wheels on.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Being at the game on Saturday really solidified my opinion that Savage is two years away at least from leading an NFL offense. He is practice squad material at best right now.

18. Remii

Remii Member

Did you see Savage throwing on the sideline before O'Brien put him in...?
    O'Brien did say Savage didn't even know he was going in...
    I wonder if O'Brien put him in cold...???

Maybe the kid should get a pass knowing this information because maybe O'Brien isn't judging him by what we're judging him by.

Going in on the spur of the moment and not F'n up can be looked at as a good thing... Maybe:confused: