1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Savage - Texans' fourth round (#135 overall) pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch, May 10, 2014.

?

Do you agree with this draft pick?

1. YES

185 vote(s)
    74.9%
  2. NO

62 vote(s)
    25.1%
  1. what

what Member

This is what I am going to harp on, if you believe (as the texans have made us to believe) that none of the top QBs in this draft are worth your selection, then you should not have drafted a QB in this draft period.

Otherwise, it leads me to believe that SOMETHING went wrong with your draft plans. This pick to me looks like they are going out and scrambling for something and HOPING that they hit it big.

You don't draft a qb in the fourth round and try to sell me that THIS was your plan all along. Again, it speaks to the value that the texans place on the qb position.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Bye bye TJ Yates

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Heh, believe whatever you want to believe, it really doesn't matter. This draft has gone EXTREMELY well thus far.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Totes. He sounds like a movie character from some football flick.

Is it me or does he look like Nic Cage?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

They all love 95% of the players drafted.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

LOL, really? Just because you thought a QB was worth the 135th pick and not a 1st rounder.

7. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Still would have been better if we traded back into 1st for qb .

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Wrong way to look at it. They did't believe there was a sure thing franchise QB so they didn't take one #1.

They then slotted the QBs according to potential and then assigned a value to them that they were willing to gamble with. Smith explained it. If one of their picks came up and there was a QB they valued at that pick they'd take him. Not before.

It's simple risk/reward. They are willing to risk a 5th on Savage but they weren't willing to risk a 3rd and lose out on the available players.

9. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I like him as a project for a couple of seasons. The espn guys gushed about him for like 3 straight picks lol. They all agreed that Houston was the perfect spot for him to develop. The few outside throws they showed on his highlights looked impressive.

10. DonnyMost

One of the reasons you hire a QB guru is so that you won't have to necessarily spend a 1-1 pick on a QB to have even a marginal chance on him working out.

11. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Bye bye Case Keenum.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree, the only QB in the first they had interest in was Bortles, and they weren't trading up to the #2 pick in the draft for him.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Alex Smith but a lot cheaper RT <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith">@ChronBrianSmith</a>: Tom Savage learned four offensive systems in four years.</p>&mdash; Wes Andrews (@LivingInAJar) <a href="https://twitter.com/LivingInAJar/statuses/465191131215855616">May 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Also this:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Savage metrics worked out as worst overall in QB class. Bad deep/intermediate comp %, bad comp% under pressure, bad comp% against the blitz</p>&mdash; Greg Peshek (@NU_Gap) <a href="https://twitter.com/NU_Gap/statuses/465188503005851648">May 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Never heard of him. Guess he was the best QB available. Pleased with the draft overall though. VERY excited about the defense.

15. justtxyank

Nothing like Alex Smith. Alex Smith is athletic, accurate with an unspectacular arm. Savage is inaccurate, barely athletic with a strong arm.

16. what

what Member

Because, every scout had bridgewater, Bortles, manziel, Garoppolo ahead of Savage. So, either the texans are pwn'ing the league, or they don't value the qb position above other positions on the team.

And if that is the case, there needs to be a serious re-evaluation of the drafting strategy. The texans have the worst collection of qbs in the league and yet they pick the fifth to eight rated qb on the board.

You don't value qb if you do that, point blank.

17. justtxyank

Or they didn't value any of the available QBs.

They really liked Blake Bortles. I think that was the only Qb they loved.

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

So Yates or case is gone.

How much do they make?

19. DonnyMost

About 700K each IIRC.

20. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

ideal would have been trading 3 and 4, getting jff to go with clowney and maybe still getting nix. Right now I feel it is flyers and special team players from here on out. I hope Bob's evaluation closer to what Seahawks do. Guess that's why we hired him, hope Mccnair made the right choice or at least upgrade from last regime.