1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Savage - Texans' fourth round (#135 overall) pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch, May 10, 2014.

?

Do you agree with this draft pick?

1. YES

185 vote(s)
    74.9%
  2. NO

62 vote(s)
    25.1%
  1. Remii

Remii Member

Gosh darn it Juice:mad:

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Looks like Jacksonville already had their QB of the future and didn't even know it.

Stanzi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bortles

3. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Just because they were off once doesn't mean it's not credible

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Eh, more than one. Bradford and Alex Smith, even if you don't think they're that bad, didn't end up as high as they were rated. Christian Ponder @ #9 and Mark Sanchez @ #18 are misjudgements as well. Not sure how it compares to other metrics ratings though. Could still be more accurate than the alternatives.

It is interesting that they bring up the question considering that they have Bridgewater @ #11 on their overall list and that Savage didn't crack their top 20 (probably around 30). I wonder where the other QBs in this class rank on their overall list.

#364 Cannonball, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
  5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Based on what RickSmith posted TB was the best QB in the draft according to whatever metric they use. So I think that poster is mistaken.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Can you post what the chart for the quarterbacks in this year's draft so we can see how they stack up...

7. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I'm not sure why the 2014 class numbers are a little different than the historical numbers. Each QB's stats changed a little bit in the update they did in April.

Edit-Looks like they included Combine results and Wonderlic scores in this version, not sure what else they changed.

[​IMG]

8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Can you pull the QB stats from the Kaepernick/Wilson draft?

9. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Here is the 2012 QB class:

[​IMG]

Kaepernick was drafted in 2011, the year before the site started. However, I was able to find his rating in a historical chart, and it's pretty surprising, in my opinion.

[​IMG]

This is what they had to say about Russell Wilson

1 person likes this.
  10. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Hmm those ranking seem a bit weird to me. Savage ranks lower in almost every category but still ranks first? Can someone explain how his is ranked so high?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Probably because he's one of the only QB's in the draft to have a prototypical QB body and prototypical arm strength.

12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

thanks for posting. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'd put much stock in their statistics.

13. Remii

Remii Member

Thanks Ricksmith.

O'Brien said they used analytics up in New England. And New England is pretty open about using them (from what I've read). I'm sure he used them here but I wonder how much he relies on them. Haven't seen an article on how they applied them to this draft if they did. I've been looking for articles but haven't found any. It's interesting reading on teams who use analytics explain why they draft players. I've only found an article of one team so far.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Of course not, but they miss plenty enough. I'd be about as accurate as this model for QBs.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

They pretty much nailed the top 3 of this draft class. Spot on regarding Wilson. Matt Barkley is an unknown and will be for the most part of his first 4 years in the league playing behind Foles.

Every QBs situation is different from team, to system, to coaching staff, and fit. Hopefully we found the guy that meshes with all 4 categories.

16. Fantasma Negro

Is this really Rick Smith and did you just create your own analytics just to justify taking Savage?

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no need to "justify" the pick, it was actually a really solid pick given the round.

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Savage reminds me of what they said about TJ Yates when we drafted him.

I remain skeptical for that reason.

19. Remii

Remii Member

Ricksmith was kind enough to post some information from another site for us.

But regardless of the analytics _ I expect the Texans to justify taking Savage by putting him on the field (at some point) and showing he's a good quarterback. I do not view this pick as a "throw away pick" or a shot in the dark pick.

O'Brien said there's not much separation between these quarterbacks so O'Brien "HAS" to prove that there isn't. He put his reputation on the line when he said that. And if any of the other quarterbacks turn out good and Savage doesn't _ that's on O'Brien.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I actually agree. If say Bortles turns out to be a franchise QB and Bridgewater turns out to be just a notch below that, but Savage is a total bust...O'Brien SHOULD take criticism for that.