1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Savage - Texans' fourth round (#135 overall) pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch, May 10, 2014.

?

Do you agree with this draft pick?

1. YES

185 vote(s)
    74.9%
  2. NO

62 vote(s)
    25.1%
  1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

What if O'B system fits Fitzpatrick abilities. Dude could be a successful qb in this league. Dude imo played solid in Buffalo despite their terrible offense. So I don't think anybody knows what he is or what he is going to be.

2. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Damn, he really is looking for Brady 2.0. I didn't realize their numbers were that similar. If it pans out, great. Just not expecting much.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Wait, since when is accuracy God given? If anything, arm strength is more God given.

There is a reason why Schaub never had the arm strength of Jay Cutler despite years of working with trainers.

Accuracy is a product of footwork (which can be fixed) and repetition...it's also a product of how good the hands are on the receivers trying to catch.

I have no doubts that Savage will increase his accuracy compared to where he was at in college. First off, he needs time to get the timing down with his receivers. Second, he needs to make sure his footwork is stable so that his throwing motion is more consistent. With the proper coaching, there is no doubt that his accuracy will improve.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Agreed that it could improve, but it might not. Yates is still terrible.

But the fact that Savage bounced around and still had a strong year last year gives me hope. He hasn't had a consistent coaching staff to really train him.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Texans had Savage as a 4th round pick. If O'Brien also thinks there wasn't much separation between the QBs in this draft, then it appears O'Brien thinks they were all "average".

I do believe he had one rated higher, that one being Bortles... but clearly still not high enough to be the #1 overall over a defensive player.. What, in something like 12 of the last 17 drafts - this year included - a QB was the number one pick.

Don't get me wrong, you don't have to be a #1 pick or first round pick to be thought of as "above average".... and shoot, one day the sports gods will finally look graciously on Houston sports again and give us a gift.... and I like Savage... I get that he has a lot of tools to work with... but he's a sit and wait and see guy, right? If you already have an established QB...

Whatever, I'll be rooting for him to be that next Tom Brady, that's for sure.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Lets not get our hopes too high and lower the expectations on him. History is against this guy turning into a franchise QB. Seriously, there have been more nobodies than Tom Bradys that were taken this late in the draft. Sure, BOB is a QB guru or whatever but lets keep the expectations real. Odds are against him that this isn't the guy to lead us to the Superbowl.

Instead of hoping for the next Tom Brady, lets hope he can at least be the next Ryan Fitzpatrick.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I don't think he'll be Brady 2.0, but I think he's a solid project pick with decent upside.

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I'd be very happy with the next Russell Wilson IMO...Wilson was slated to be a back up to Matt Flynn...As they all competed for the job, Wilson stood up and made the most of his chance. I can see a similar story transpire here in Houston. If Savage can place that doubt in the mind of the Head Coach, BOB will not hesitate to start the rook...

9. TheDreamShake83

Fitz is capable and he at least brings valuable experience to give to the other QBs. I imagine that we will try to go back to the power Texans of a few years ago which will not require him to do too much.

10. Remii

Remii Member

Seattle doesn't have a superior front 7. And not only do they have Richard Sherman, but they also have Kam and Earl...

San Francisco drafted a safety in the 1st round last year and drafted another safety in the 1st round this year and also picked up a good safety off the free agent market.

Arizona has the Honey Badger and picked up a safety in the 1st round this year to go along with P-Dub in their secondary.

The Saints defense got good under Rob Ryan and they drafted a safety in the 1st round last year and paid Byrd big money to come play this year.

Jets needed a receiver but Rex Ryan drafted a saftey in the 1st round this year.

Like I said _ the league has changed. And if the backend of your defense is weak... "Good" quarterbacks with offensive weapons can pick you apart regardless of your front 7.

Back to San Francisco... They had weak corner back play last year. But they are strong on the defensive line, have two inside linebackers who never have to come off the field and they have strong safety play. Even with weak corners and Aldon Smith missing they were still dominant. Being strong up the middle from front to back is the common denominator for most dominant defenses.

11. Remii

Remii Member

Difference is Tom Brady had several come from behind wins. Showing he can perform when the pressure is on.

But Savage looks like a duck so I'm hoping O'Brien can make him quack like one.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

The Giants won two Superbowls with their front 7 and its rotation being dominate at the right time. Yes a lot of teams are looking for great secondary play but in the trenches is where it all begins pimpn. IMO Seattle had the best of two worlds, they had excellent secondary support and a pretty good front 7.

Just my lil two cents.

13. Pokemon

Pokemon Member

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, we are one of the few teams that hasn't gotten a chance to cut him yet....

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

So us picking up Mr. Irrelevant just isn't going to cut it huh??? (Sarcasm) What about DJ Swearinger in the 2nd round last year then us acquiring Chris Clemons and Kendrick Lewis??? All of that is just a joke right? Lol

16. Remii

Remii Member

I didn't say the front line isn't important _ it is. I'm saying the safety position is important too. Can't be weak on the backend.

Who:confused: Lol...

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think the league is definitely moving in a direction towards prioritizing passing and stopping the pass. To that end, we have bucked the trend.

On the other hand, because everyone was valuing defensive backs and wide receivers in this draft, you could make an argument that they were OVERvaluing it. By sticking to our board which prioritized trench warfare, we probably ended up getting fantastic value at those spots that we did upgrade.

You're not going to upgrade every position every year. Next year's draft you'll probably see something like QB CB ILB S and RT as draft priorities. Maybe it's the New England connection, but I don't see us ever valuing WR such that we would draft one in the first round under the O'Brien regime.

18. Remii

Remii Member

I was just showing how dominant defenses have strong saftey play in common. And also strong at the point of attack (interior line) and up the middle.

Offensive teams are putting more receiving options on the field so the quarterbacks can get rid of the ball quickly so you need more personnel on the field that can cover. Can't just depend on the pass rush to make your secondary better.

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Um...what about San Fran? What about Carolina? What about the Giants of 2 years ago? What about Denver last year? That's the way they beat the Pats.

I disagree with you. Secondary is crucial but so is the front 7.