1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Brady to the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hustle Town, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

yep, risk, which the Texans want NO part of.

conservative team from an ultra conservative state. no surprise.

2. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

that's not close to being true. texans would of cut some players who would be cut down the road anyways.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, when you are a team that had a window to make a deep playoff run that was currently open, it's WAY too risky to gut that team for an over the hill QB who might never play at a high level again. Let's not be revisionist, it was one thing for the Broncos to do so, they had nothing to lose, the Texans did. A few things go right instead of wrong, an injury or two doesn't happen and the Texans could have easily been in the SB without Manning. You don't throw that away for a lottery ticket.

4. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

huh, we're talking about a team who signed schaub to a contract extension after a major injury.... also, i never bought into that texans team. they always got exposed on prime time against good teams. i thought we were losing by keeping them together tbh.

5. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Who has the better roster? Texans or Broncos?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You may not have bought into those teams, but injuries and maybe a little luck was all that kept them from making deep playoff runs.

Now? Broncos, at the time they got Manning? Texans, and it wasn't close.

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Are you seriously bashing manning? I know you drink Texan kool aid but this is ridiculous.

8. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Weren't we capped out for Manning money?

9. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I guess you are saying they do? If so, you must not think we could have put together a team around him as Broncos have. If you are saying we do, then you have to believe he could make this team just as good as he has the Broncos. Either way, I would rather be at the dance standinf outside instead of sitting at home with no ride to get there. At least I have a chance of getting in.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Are you pretending that you thought the Broncos had a shot in that one? Peyton has been a great QB for a long time, but his post-season struggles are well documented.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The point is that they had a chance....it didn't pan out, but that doesn't mean the lottery ticket route would have been better. In order to afford Manning they'd have had to cut several players to make room and that would have hurt their chances of making a run and hurt Manning's chances of returning to form because some of those cuts would have had to be in the O line and you don't want a patchwork O line with an old QB coming off that many surgeries.

12. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

not after a cut here & a cut there.

it was rick who F'd it all up by inexplicably handing a crippled schaub an unexplainable contract extension.

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I agree Seattle was the better team in the SB but Peyton Manning on your roster is a guaranteed top 2 seed in the playoffs. Schaub choked in a home game vs the freaking Vikings that would have given them home field advantage in the playoffs. That's the difference between great and average.

14. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

I remember when it happen n all that, we were mentioned but nothing serious, it was like a rumor. I never knew he wanted to be a Texan, I thought Elway had him all along, kinda like Knicks/Phil with Melo.

Ya know this for a fact (that we passed on him cause "we had a qb") or?

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah and the difference between great and average is Peyton Manning's career and Joe Flacco's career.....the average guy's team won the SB, the great guy's team didn't. There's a bunch of revisionist history going on here, but the Texans had a very solid shot of making a Ravens type SB run, it just didn't happen for one reason or the other, but that doesn't mean you dismiss it completely. See this is why I don't think people would be happy with Manning and the regular season wins and the post-season flame outs.

16. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

And I understand your point, and keep hearing this same argument. But just as we have and as many teams do, you will have to cut or lose players. All I know is Manning is taking any roster to playoffs. Playoff record may be what we want, but you can't win the lottery unless you play it.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, that's revisionist history, have you forgotten the shape Manning was in at the time? When we'd have had to make the decision he couldn't even hold a damn football and there was no guarantee he'd ever be able to throw a football at an NFL level again. You make it sound like it was a sure thing when it was the furthest thing from that.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Schaub extension didn't affect the cap that year, and his salary was guaranteed, we'd have had to get rid of a lot of guys to make that room.

19. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Nope, i remember him doing a throwing session where at 80% he looked better than Schaub.

20. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

no, if schaub's contract was not on the books they could have moved $ around in addition to making a few cuts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.