1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tom Brady; Best QB ever?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by LCAhmed, Jan 14, 2013.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Offensive line means everything to an immobile QB. The Giants were also a thorn in Montana's side.

Brady:Montana::Belichick:Walsh

Pretty apt comparison too, both were always surrounded by elite talent. Belichick found diamonds in the rough, Walsh could find all pros in the 6th round.

2. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Look at what Montana did without all those elite talents in Kansas City. Ask any Oilers' fans.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Yes he had a good offensive line. I'd hardly call most of Brady's career surrounded by elite talent. Belichick was mediocre with the Browns, and struggled with Bledsoe. He's also a guy from a defensive background.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I have to with Montana with Elway second. I don't buy a lot into the stats argument. The game today is super pass happy and the rules have changed so much on defense that it really inflates the stats over previous eras. They can't hit anyone lke they could in the past.

Some of the things Elway did under pressure were totally ridiculous. Ive blocked out all the Oilers nightmare plays ( screw you Jerry Gray) but that drive in Cleveland, that was legendary. That wasn't a pass or one play, it was like 98 yards on the road in Cleveland on a muddy field in the AFC Championship game with crap talent like Steve Sewell and Vance Johnson. If anyone did that today with the way the media is now they would be replaying it non-stop for a month.

Also, Joe Montana proved he could get it done without Bill Walsh. He walked into the Astrodome against an Oliers team that was destroying everything in sight (11 game win streak?) and he very calmly ripped Buddy Ryan's defense up. That defense was freaking loaded. Ray Childress, Sean Jones, William Fuller, and Lee williams and that's just the defensive line. Joe Montana basically killed the Oilers, that was the last time they were ever relevant.

#64 CometsWin, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Case Keenum has a chance to be the best QB ever if coaches would realize how good the kid is and stop being racist and let him start.

6. juicystream

I think it is fair to compare stats to their peers. Brady has led the league in every major passing statistic at least once, but also won. 136-39 is the most impressive thing to me. He's never had a losing season as a starter.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Who were these great AFC teams that would have won the Super Bowl if not for Elway? Don't say the Oilers.

8. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Greatest dink and dunker of all time.

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Compare to Brady today, Manning's performance was magnificent.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Still no Lombardi since Spygate. Go fish Tommy.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Bingo!

Rocket River

12. dafranchise0309

Why hasn't New England won a super bowl since 2004?
    because they've become a soft, finesse football team.

They won the three super bowls because of their defense.
    Brady had very little to do with the Rams victory. That was all about defense and Belicheck outcoaching Markz.
    Carolina was a weak NFC representative and they still needed a last second FG.
    Eagles - Mcnabb was horrible in that game. There was an INT in the first quarter that should have been a TD to put the Eagles ahead 14-0. Eagles blew their chance in the first quarter. Andy Reid was terrible that game as well.

Please spare me the Tom Brady is the best QB to ever play the game. He is far from it. His stats are based on the current era where anybody can put up favorable stats compared to QB's who played from the 90's and backwards. He doesn't perform well under pressure and he doesnt step up when the other team challenges him in a big game.

To say he's the best is to insult truly great QB's like Montana, Elway, Staubach, Bradshaw, Steve Young, Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, Ken Stabler, Jim plunkett, Aikman, Unitas, Bart Starr, and Eli Manning

13. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

While Brady is certainly a great QB and I've seen players who couldn't get it done if they had similar talent around them (like Kevin Kolb, bad offensive line or not), his success has always been more about Belichek than himself. I was shocked during their min-dynasty at how much time he had to throw, I could make solid throws and make great decisions with that much time if I trained to be an NFL QB. That goes to the O-line and scheming. Keep in mind this is coming from a Texans fan's perspective during the David Carr era, who obviously had zero time to throw.

I always wondered what what happen if he had any pressure on him and my answer came in Super Bowl XLII. The Giants D-line ate his lunch that day and gave him no time to find Moss or any of his targets. Brady has never been too mobile and if not for the great O-line and overall coaching of Belichek, his stats would not look as good as they do.

He certainly should be remembered and enshrined, not just any QB could come in and duplicate what he's done but he was overhyped due to the success of the Patriots after the turn of the century mainly because QB is the glamor position in the NFL. I say without a doubt that he's better now than he was during the min-dynasty.

14. juicystream

Those game winning drives really sure he can't handle the pressure. I like how all the other QBs in this era have thrown 50 TDs in a season.

Brady has been let down by his defense, and to be honest, Wes Welker who has a number of bad drops the last 2 postseasons.