1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toll Fee increase, now a reality.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by windfern, Aug 13, 2007.

1. windfern

windfern Member

https://www.hctra.org/about_news/small-increase-big-improvements-coming-soon

August 10, 2007
    Small increase. Big improvements. Coming soon.
    Don't Forget: The 25¢ Rate Increase Takes Effect September 3, 2007

New Rates for Standard Two-Axle Vehicles
    A detailed rate chart is available here (PDF files - 18.1KB), and an updated rate map will be available August 20, 2007, on www.hctra.org. Below is a summary of the rate changes for standard (two-axle) vehicles. For the most part, the increases are 25¢ system-wide, but there are some exceptions. For example, entrance and exit ramps currently tolled at $1 will remain unchanged for standard (two-axle) vehicles. In addition, the Ship Channel Bridge rates will remain unchanged in order to equalize mainlane toll rates and the Ship Channel Bridge rates.

2007 Toll Increase: The Facts
    The Harris Country Toll Road Authority is responsible for getting hundreds of thousands of drivers where they need to go each day-quickly and safely. Unfortunately, current tolls no longer provide the funds required to keep our toll roads in top shape and expand the system to meet the future mobility needs of our region. This is why Harris County Commissioners Court approved a system-wide 25¢ toll rate increase, effective September 3, 2007.

This increase represents only the third such increase in the Harris County Toll Road Authority's 20-year history, a testament to HCTRA's reputation as one of the most cost-effective, well-run systems in the nation.

What Your Tolls Pay For:
    Tolls collected on HCTRA roadways are used to fund maintenance and upkeep of the existing toll roads and to meet future expansion needs-without using tax dollars. All revenue generated from tolls is used to finance six major categories: operations, maintenance, construction projects, connectivity, debt service, and future projects.

In 2006, over 50 percent of toll revenue went toward maintenance, construction and connectivity projects, as well as new initiatives designed to enhance the future mobility of our region. Here's a preview of what's ahead at HCTRA to keep you up to speed:

Recent or Ongoing Enhancements/Capacity Improvements
    South Sam Houston Tollway widening ($140 million)
    West Sam Houston Tollway widening from White Oak Bayou to east of West Road ($9.1 million)
    Sam Houston exit to SH 249: additional EZ TAG lane ($2.1 million)
    Hardy Toll Road pavement reconstruction and widening ($21.6 million)
    Westpark Tollway Dynamic Message Signs ($2 million)
    Proposed Future Enhancements/Capacity Improvements
    Continued conversion of cash and coin lanes to EZ TAG lanes
    Additional electronic signage to better communicate in real-time with drivers
    Real-time traffic cameras to facilitate better traffic management, faster response, and safer roads
    Expansion of the Sam Houston widening between Gessner and West Road
    Addition of two lanes to West Sam Houston Tollway, north of Briar Forest
    Direct connector southbound SH 249 to westbound Sam Houston Tollway
    New Projects
    Thanks to legislation recently enacted by the Texas Legislature, HCTRA has the go-ahead to move forward on $4.5 billion in planned route expansions, some of which have been on hold for several years. These proposed mobility-enhancing new projects include:
    Beltway 8 Northeast
    Hardy Extension into downtown
    Hempstead Highway (US 290) Managed Lanes
    SH 288 Managed Lanes
    Fairmont Parkway
    Fort Bend Extension to 610

2. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I don't remember any toll roads in San Antonio...I'm just saying... :D

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I can deal with it.

4. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

Direct connector southbound SH 249 to westbound Sam Houston Tollway

How are they going to do that? The principle reason for people exiting and having to get back on is to pay a toll. So are they going to get rid of that toll booth?

Hardy Extension into downtown

Okay, I like that alot!!!! I can get from Spring to downtown all on the Hardy? Sign me up!!!

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wonder if that money could ease traffic by paying for more commuter tranis

Rocket River

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nobody had any worthwhile place to go to in San Antonio... :D

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Why was this not done when the eastbound bridge was built? God, what a bunch of dumbasses. Errrr, did I say dumbasses? I meant, uh, city planning geniuses. Yeah, that's it. Now go forth, um, you amazingly talented and wonderful city employees, and make this tollway connector your top priority.

8. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Seriously...I took my family out there for a week and had stuff to do each day...Evening Rainforest Cafe 1st day in town, Day 2 Fiesta, Day 3 Witte museum, Day 4 Natural Bridge Caverns, Day 5 Alamo, Ripleys, and Wax Museum, Day 6 Malls and Riverwalk, Day 7 Sea World...

9. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

It's San Antonio.

10. Bono

Bono Contributing Member

commuter trannys?

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Who cares?

12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

their coming!

13. windfern

windfern Member

toll roads and horses don't go together.

14. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Don't drop your newspaper! :eek: :D

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The amount of time & money it's going to take for them to have commuter rail for Katy, Spring, and Clear Lake is no less than 5 times what these projects will be. And it's hard to say whether it will be effective, given Houston sprawl. If you can't get to work in less than 1.5 hrs (including time to switch to a bus or trolley or walk to the exact building), it's pointless.

Evan