1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toddlers with guns kill more people than terrorists do

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

This week, in my country, considered by some of its more embarrassing denizens to be the “greatest country in the world”, an outspoken Florida “gun rights” advocate left a loaded .45 calibre handgun in the back seat of her car and was promptly shot and wounded by her four-year-old child. Truly a pinnacle of human potential, much like the invention of paper in second-century BC China, or Aristotle holding forth in the Lyceum, or whoever first pointed out that Florida looks like America’s penis.

What do you say about the outspoken Florida “gun rights” advocate who left a loaded .45 calibre handgun in the back seat of her car and was promptly shot and wounded by her four-year-old child? I take no pleasure in violence and pain. I’m not happy that Jamie Gilt, 31 – who has built a thriving web presence on the argument that guns are not only perfectly safe around kids, but necessary for their protection – left a loaded handgun in reach of her four-year-old son, who then picked it up, aimed it at his mother, and pulled the trigger. I find zero delight in the thought of Gilt’s toddler’s almost certain panic and horror in that moment, nor the guilt he may well carry for the rest of his life (guilt that only his mother deserves). I’m sure being shot in the back really hurts – even more so when it comes with a side of nationwide liberal schadenfreude.

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-toddlers-kill-more-people-than-terrorists-do

I don't really care about gun control however this statistic is pretty funny.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am wondering how much extra safety/self-defense benefits that owning/carrying a gun provides in comparison of the danger of getting hurt in a situation like this or in an accidental discharge situation.

Yeah, I know that some of these people involved didn't exactly perform textbook gun safety, but people fail to perform textbook safety procedures in all aspects of life. Given enough people with guns, a good number of them is gonna get careless and get hurt.

3. Exiled

Exiled Member

the only solution to this mess , is to force people to use rubber bullets

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Instead of the author being a whiny liberal, perhaps they should be more appreciative of the steps our government takes to keep them safe. When the next massive attack happens (not if, when), will the author remember this article in which she flippantly dismisses terrorism? And lets not forget terrorist do not always come with turbans on their heads.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Facts have a liberal bias. Whatcha gonna do? :confused: :mad:

:)

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This has been known, but delusional gun nuts repeatedly say otherwise which brainwashes the majority of our civilians.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

15 toddler deaths in 2015

strikes me as hypocritical when there are over 3,000 unborn children killed by abortions in the US each year. That's over 200x as many deaths of our most vulnerable and precious commodity.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a sad truth that too many even responsbile gun owners fail to properly respect the power of firearms. They don't secure them properly or allow them to be used irresponsibly. As we saw with the tragic shooting of the firearms instrutor by a 9 year old no small child should shoot or have access to firearms.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's time for responsible, moderate toddlers to denounce and distance themselves from this violent extremist minority.

Their silence in the face of this tragedy is telling.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They come with pacifiers and when you are least expecting bang they will shoot you.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

An armed populace will not stop terrorists.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People are truly crazy to think that having weapons that can kill is perfectly safe around curious children.

The idea of "protection" from a made-up foe...

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Why do you hate the constitution of this country so much? As a conservative I am appalled at this hypocrisy. Start loving America instead of hating it.

14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It is time to have mandatory handgun training in pre-k and kindergarten so these kids will use handguns in a safe fashion.

Sheesh, gun nuts.

15. bongman

bongman Member

Maybe charged

If the child pointed the opposite direction and killed another driver, would that only be misdemeanor?

16. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I wonder what's the bigger offense, leaving the gun where the kid could reach it, or not strapping the kid properly in the child seat.

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This is it in a nutshell.

Guns do not prevent violence their availability creates more opportunities for violence.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Where did you get this from? Seemed like complete BS so I am wondering how that is calculated? California has more gun murders and less guns than Texas. Based on gun ownership %, population, and total gun murders. So again, how are the numbers twisted so this is remotely true?

Not true and just made it all up?

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

'States with more guns have more gun deaths.' is a meaningless stat.

THe more meaningful stat would be if states with more guns have more deaths. not gun deaths. The purpose of gun laws inst to prevent gun deaths, its to prevent death. Also you would want homicide and suicides, not 'deaths'.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

It was from the article.

A quick Google search bears out numerous studies that equate more guns = more gun violence. But I can assume peer reviewed 30 year longitudinal studies from such liberal dumps as Harvard and Boston University should be dismissed immediately....