1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler reaches into purse and gun goes off killing mom

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mr. 13 in 33, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

Is this what it feels like to live in the D&D? When I grow up, I think I might just visit it one day.

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

This is where you I an differ. Banning guns is precisely the solution. Only the people with guns feels there needs to be a "fight". I find it a weird coincidence that these same people feel that any kind of violence is necessary. And by weird coincidence I mean not weird or coincidental at all.

The gun nuts know that their time is quickly approaching. It is going to happen which is why comments like yours reminds me of a person drowning. You hang on to the hope that threatening sane people with more violence will keep it from happening. I wonder if you know how ridiculous you sound.

"We have to have guns to stop violence!"

No we don't. We need less guns. Look at the rest of the world for proof.

"If the government tries to take my guns I will become violent. Cold, dead hands I say!"

So you are going to become what you say you want guns to prevent?

"I am going to stick my head in the sand to reason and facts because I am a scared of the boogie man." Insert additional conservative talking points here

The facts do not change because you are delusional.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Who didn't think the mom screwed up?

Harder to legislate stupid than it is to legislate guns.

4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

You remind me of the people that attempt to convince me that God exists by reading me the Bible. The only way to eliminate gun violence is to eliminate access to guns.

"Buh buh buh buh but then only the bad mans will have guns and that would make Jack's eyes rain."

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/4898200b14b9b9110088aab9/dreamworks-simple-jack-r****d-movie-offended-people-so-we-took-site-down.jpg

Sorry Jack, the rest of the world shows us that this is a completely asinine argument.

#104 Master Baiter, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  5. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

What's the chances the little kid grows up to be a thug? I mean not out of pampers yet and killed his mom.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Where have I suggested that I need my guns to defend myself? In this thread, I have not given my position on gun control. Your argument keeps lumping me into a category in which you assume all the while you keep ignoring my question. You clearly do not know my position, so please do not give it to me.

The question is:
    How are you going to convince Americans to give up their guns? This includes their rights and the actual ownership and black market reproduction. Until you can answer this, gun ban is a complete idiotic solution and only highlights that you know nothing on this subject.

And if you think "deeming it so" by Congress is the solution, think again. Just look at Sandy Hook and VT. Not a single thing was done even when gun control support was at his highest peaks.

This isn't about what I believe or what I want. This is about the reality of the political landscape. Put the pipe down and come back to reality.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Looks to me like you are taking the bait....

There are people to take seriously, and there are people to not take seriously.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Thank you :)

Sometimes I needed to be reminded of this.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

OK... provide us with your position. Your ideas on how this problem can be solved. Or even if you think there is a problem with too many guns.

But if your position is that it can't be solved because you can't legislate people's behavior... should we eliminate all speed limits laws, because everyone speeds already? Everyone does drugs of some sort... eliminate all drugs and drinking laws?

I believe there are too many guns. People have too much access to guns. So I believe something has to be done. Make it tougher to get guns (longer wait periods, tighten regulations on who can buy guns from where. Add more types of guns to the list of guns that can't be sold. Stop the manufacture of certain types of guns and bullets. These seem reasonable, as they don't prevent people from legally buying/owning guns.

11. treeman

treeman Member

You amaze me with your wit. But your solution is still a child's fantasy.

It has been pointed out already that your "solution" is less realistic than aliens visiting the planet in 2015. As much as you may desire it, firearms in this country will never be banned or confiscated - not without significant loss of life and likely civil war, not to mention scrapping virtually all other constitutional protections in the process. There are close to 300 million firearms in this country. How exactly do you propose to institute this ban and confiscate all of these firearms? As it is the powers that be can't even come close to confiscating a significant chunk of the illegal firearms in circulation, so how exactly do you propose peacefully gathering up the 300 million legally owned firearms in circulation?

Of course, you can't possibly be stupid enough to think that it can actually be done peacefully. Which means that you are totally cool with seeing it done by force. Which means that you are totally cool with the government killing likely hundreds of thousands (possibly millions) of its citizens who refuse to give up their constitutionally protected right to keep and bear firearms (but hey, killing a bunch of conservatives would be a feature, not a bug, eh?). And don't think for a second that a very large chunk of the country wouldn't resist, with dozens of states likely refusing to comply and seceding instead.

Really, if you think there is the slightest chance of this happening in this country, you are delusional. And if you think this is the only solution then you both A) lack imagination and B) aren't really worth debating with on the subject, because your view is fundamentally extremist in nature. All polling on the subject in this country (and I couldn't care less what the rest of the world thinks about it, so don't even bother) has seen a swing over the past two decades in favor of preserving gun rights, not eliminating them, so your utopian dream grows ever more remote. You are of course free to harbor whatever fantasies you like, but the rest of us don't have to indulge you in them, much less take them - or you - seriously.

You want to know a good solution to the problem of accidental/negligent discharges? Proper training. It actually works. And it's far more feasible than starting a civil war in order to confiscate all of the guns and hopefully kill a few conservatives in the process. :p

12. treeman

treeman Member

Quick question:

If firearms ownership is heavily restricted in Mexico, with most non-farmers unable to obtain them legally , why is the violent crime rate (particularly the homicide rate) so high? Explain, please.

One more, not a trick question:

Does the US fall in the top 100 list of countries with the highest homicide rates?

13. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. XxShadyPinkxX

XxShadyPinkxX Contributing Member

This kind of extremism is so scary to me. People really see this happening? La la la, I don't care about objective truths, we need our guns cause...Constitution. If the government decides to try to take them, people will become murderous psychopaths to ensure that they can keep them. David Koresh 2.0 hells yeah!

Jesus...People with that state of mind should absolutely have their guns taken away. I'm only relieved that people that hold this opinion are a dying breed, it just sucks that we have to deal with the craziness in the mean time. Master Baiter is right, there will be a time that you old folks probably can't imagine in which the US will join the 21st century on this front.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

How old are you again?

16. treeman

treeman Member

So believing in a constitutional right is extremist, but wanting to abolish that right isn't? :rolleyes:

Why do you think that only criminals should own firearms?

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Things were so much more peaceful 1100 years ago, there was no gun violence at all, then the Chinese had to go and ruin everything by inventing guns. Shortly thereafter Human history had the very first murder and has been nothing but gun violence every since.

18. XxShadyPinkxX

Older than you, younger than them.

Why isn't this in D&D yet?

The constitution is an amazing framework for governance that gave the people the ultimate power, including the ability to ammend the document as they see fit. Whether you like it or not, there will be more restrictions on gun ownership as time passes - to reconcile our 2nd amendment right with the reality that virtually unfettered access to guns has done and continues to do more harm than good in our current times. We are no longer in danger from tyrannical rulers (regardless of anyone's outlandish descriptors of our current president) threatening us with their armies of musket holding soldiers, rather we have become a danger to ourselves and each other.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's only a matter of time before the government saves us from ourselves through prohibition.

20. XxShadyPinkxX

I knew someone would pull this from my last comment. lol WE are the government. Not enough people realize this. The time of the prudes came and passed with alcohol. Opinions are evolving on mar1juana, leading to the changes we've seen and will continue to see. The same will happen with guns. We are progressing, slowly but surely.