1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Todd Jones makes a commentary on possible gay ball players

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by robbie380, Apr 30, 2003.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Ok well I wanted a cheap laugh so I left out the 'base' in baseball. Anyhow...I read this and it really didn't seem that bad too me. It seems like the Rockies are being too politically correct by apologizing for his answer to the question. I don't think he said anything wrong. I guess if you take his "I wouldn't want a gay guy around me" out of context then it sounds bad, but he explains why he feels that way. While it wouldn't bother me to have a flamer around me proclaiming his gayness it would get really annoying and stuff.

April 29, 2003
    DENVER (AP) -- The Colorado Rockies criticized reliever Todd Jones' recent anti-gay remarks Tuesday night, saying they were ``unfortunate'' and did not reflect the team's views.

Jones told The Denver Post on Sunday that he would not want to have a gay teammate. The comments were part of an entertainment story about the Broadway play ``Take Me Out,'' in which a major league baseball player announces that he is gay.

The article compares the story line of the play with what might happen if a real-life player announced he was gay.

``I wouldn't want a gay guy being around me,'' Jones told the paper. ``It's got nothing to do with me being scared. That's the problem: All these people say he's got all these rights. Yeah, he's got rights or whatever, but he shouldn't walk around proud. It's like he's rubbing it in our face. 'See me, Hear me roar.' We're not trying to be close-minded, but then again, why be confrontational when you don't really have to be?''

Jones was not immediately available for comment Tuesday.

Arizona Diamondbacks first baseman Mark Grace was also interviewed for the story, but he said most players probably would not be threatened by a gay teammate.

The Rockies said on the team's Web site that the team does not share Jones' views, opinions, or attitudes.

``As an organization and as a part of this community, we are committed to providing an environment for our employees and fans that is free of discrimination and prejudice regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national orientation, age, disability, or status as a veteran,'' team president Keli McGregor said in the statement.

Jones also said in the story that the player better be good ``Because if (the team) thinks for one minute he's disrupting the clubhouse -- if he doesn't hit 50 homers or win 20 games -- they're not going to put up with that.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-rockies-jonescomments&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. outlaw

outlaw Member

just like it gets annoying when i have to listen to straight people talk about their sex lives and dating habits and weddings and babies and stuff.

BTW, Todd Jones was a crappy reliever for the Astros and he's a crappy one now with his 6.35 ERA in 11 games!

#2 outlaw, Apr 30, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2003
  3. heypartner

heypartner Member

Hey, like I'm supposed to keep my straigthness in the closet. I'd never get laid, then, much less weddings and babies and stuff.

hel-lo

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Outside of the sex lives part the other stuff you mentioned is basically the same as straight people. Gay people get married (even if it recognized by the government), gay men adopt kids, lesbians have kids. A lot straight people don't really care if a person is gay or not, but when the person is all like gay and in your face about it, like what Jones said, then that is when it gets bothersome. Not all gay people are in your face about their sex life, kind of like how many straight people are not in your face about their sex life. There is a difference between talking about your relationships and what your do in bed.

5. Behad

Behad Member

outlaw, I know what you mean. I'm equally annoyed by a gay man excessively talking about his sex life as I am by a straight man who constantly brags about his sex life, or how many girls he's banged, or whether or not he's dating a p*rn star...(j/k, JAG)...

6. Two Sandwiches

He's got some crappy comebacks too. What does 'dirtcork' mean?:cool:

7. fadeaway

fadeaway Member

He had a great season with Detroit a couple of years ago.

8. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

"Yeah, he's got rights or whatever, but he shouldn't walk around proud. It's like he's rubbing it in our face. 'See me, Hear me roar.'

:rolleyes:

9. Mulder

Mulder Member

Can't the gay boys and girls and the breeders just all get along?

10. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

I realize that this will essentially be a non-contribution to this thread, but..

I am continually baffled that this is still such a major issue with so many people. I can't think of anything that is less of a concern to me than whether somebody else like to have sexual contact with people of one variety of sex organs over another. I certainly don't care about whether people I don't know do...People see it as a moral issue...How? What does right and wrong have to do with it? It it more or less wrong to prefer someone with blonde hair vs. a brunette? I see this as the vestiges of the "Sex is a Sin made necessary only to procreate" side of an antiquated version of Judeo-Chrisianmoral teachings whose other aspects, like pre-marital sex is a no-no, hardly hold water any more thses days. Why this particular facet pf that thinking continues to influence people amazes me.

I have never been attracted to a guy. I just don't find them sexually stimulating. But I will say here, on record, that if I ever had found them sexually stimulating....if my tastes had run that way, I would definitely have gone with it. Life is too short. I have seen several studies which were focused on regrets later in life, and the almost universal conclusion was that, late in life, people are much, much more prone to regret things they did not do but wanted to rather than things they tried but which didn't work out for them.

P.S...I just wanted to add that, knowing quite a few gay men in my life, some close to me, I know that what I said above is an easy thing to say if you don't feel attracted to men, and hence don't have to face the difficult life choices that socialized morality makes out of sexual preference...I have known men who went through hell, in their families, etc. because of their sexual orientation, and I realize upon reflection that my " Oh, I'd go with it if I felt that way.' may have been flippant, and, as i said, all too easy to say compared to how hard it is for some people who actually have to live it.

#10 MacBeth, Apr 30, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2003
  11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

I've only known one gay guy, who was open about it anyway, so I never understood this thing about the "see me, hear me roar" stuff. I always thought that was a myth created by people who think movies like the Birdcage are reality.

If you are friends with a gay guy, I imagine at some point he's gonna talk about his relationships the same way a straight guy would. I think some people are just uncomfortable with homosexuality and don't even want to think about or talk about it.

Finally, if people accepted homosexuals and treated them like every other human being, there wouldn't be the "in your face, flounting it" stuff like gay pride parades.

Now, I need to whip out my newest issue of Playboy..................................................................................................................because there is an interesting interview with Mike Piazza and he talks about how he was "accused" of being gay and what would happen with a gay ball player.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

Maybe it's a locker room/shower issue.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

According to Clinton policy it's ok to be gay as long as you don't tell anyone you're gay :).

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You know, this may sound silly, but seriously, if the definition of gay is being sexually and emotionally attracted to the same sex, then why shouldn't the locker room/shower be an issue. I know its kind of irrelevant, but women wouldn't want men in their showers. Why, because they would feel uncomfortable because of the sexual tension. If a guy is an admitted homosexual, why should other males be forced to shower with him. Other than that, I would have no problem playing a sport with a gay person. But the locker room/shower has to be an issue, and I don't think its fair to label someone ignorant if they would be bothered by it.

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Down with seperation between men and women's locker rooms!

If we all just used the same locker rooms there would be no issue!:cool:

16. heypartner

heypartner Member

man, you should submit that PS to the Guinness Book of World Records. You just might have the longest postscript ever written, right there.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

I was being serious, pg.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I know you were being serious.

19. outlaw

outlaw Member

then why did TJ say "It's got nothing to do with me being scared."?

like anyone would look at his fat ass in the shower anyway

[​IMG]

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I guess he is not allowed to speak his mind or to offer up his opinion.

I guess only people who agree with the politically correct crowd get freedom of speech.

Hey, it is his opinion, he is entitled to it, no matter how wrong the rest of us think he is....

Personally, I don't see a problem, but then again, I have one employee who is always trying to talk about his sex life...had a chat with him about it the other day, and now he is not allowed to talk about it at work.

Sex is not a matter for work, it is private....keep it that way.

Of course, that is just my opinion.....which I am entitled to....

:)

DD