1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To what extent are Capela + Harrell products of the system?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Noel is horrendous at making layups. He bricks multiple layups a game.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

You really want Noel don't you...LOL

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  3. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

We'll find out when some other team drops like $18 mil/yr on them in a couple of seasons.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

$18m will be the veteran minimum in a couple of seasons.

acsorelle4 and justtxyank like this.
  5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I don't see any reason to sell high at this point. They both have shown they can excel in this type of offense. I don't think bringing in one "star" for those two (plus filler) is a wise move, as far as paying them, I think it is a little too early to make that determination. However, if they both continue on their current trajectories, I think there is a high likelihood they get paid. At some point a front office has to realize that, for a player, experience in a system is a very valuable asset in itself. Marginal skill upgrades are dangerous because there are so many other factors that go into a player's success in a system.

To answer the last part of your question, I think every good player on any successful team has "the system" to thank. Montrezl and Clint are great fits. If you are asking how each would fair in systems that relied more heavily on their ability to isolate and score 1 on 1? Sure you would see a dip in production, but the same would go for every player on this team (sans harden).

6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

They are talented players whos attributes are highlighted by the system--like it should be.

Jatman20 likes this.
  7. vator

vator Contributing Member

I think they certainly benefit from the system like just about everybody else on this team just like say the Warriors and Spurs seem to actually get the most out of the talent they have. That being said, last year they both showed the ability to do what they are doing now when given minutes even in the old McHale/JB crap offense. For example, Harrell had 17 points against the Warriors I think last year as a rookie. Seems like they've always showed the ability to produce when given court time.

8. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Some of it is like just sneaky athleticism, man.

Just saying.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Wait I think I know the answer:

To the upmost extent

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

more like 20+

acsorelle4 likes this.
  11. vator

vator Contributing Member

It's amazing what an actual NBA level offense can do for a team isn't it.

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Dwight could get a ball in the pick and roll with a wide open basket and try to turn it into a post-up with his back to the basket. Some folks just don't know how to enjoy a good thing.

Jatman20 and hakeem94 like this.
  13. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I think a big part of it is them. You have to be willing to commit to the system and these guys are bout it. If they weren't then they would both be Dwight Howardesque black holes on offense

Jatman20 likes this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Is "The System" Harden's new nickname?

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Their defense isn't a product of MDA's system.

If Les allowed Morey to hire Vogel or JVG this summer, I imagine they would both be well known for their defense.

offensively i think they get opportunities in MDA's system that they wouldn't have in Vogel or JVG's, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't have those same skills if ignored by a lesser offensive coach.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Green has a skill set that would be useful for any system: versatile defense, rebounding, passing, decent 3pt shooting, etc. Would he be as good if he did not play with Curry and Kerr's system? Probably not. But he would still be a coveted player.

I don't see Harrell has the same offensive talent as Green and as versatile on defense as Green. But every team in the league would like a guy like Harrell as a D&R big. He wouldn't have as much scoring if he did not have a guy like Harden creating for him.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You can't teach hands and Capela has amazing hands. He catches everything and makes difficult finishes look easy. He can't create his own shot, but would put up similar numbers with any of the top 5 point guards in the league.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think the system helps some, perhaps in offensive stats, but it's mostly that they are good players

19. Rokman

Rokman Member

I was at the Lakers game a few weeks ago and wanted to MDA to bench Capela for constantly fumbling the ball and turning it over. My friend was telling me he does that all the time. I was surprised since I have missed a lot of games this season and read about what great hands he had. I think he's handing out back rubs to people on the street now and that's what everyone is referencing.

20. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

D'Antoni....................Nash.......................Stoudemire...........//............Harden.........................
    .......................Dal...00/01....7.3 ast
    ............................................//...13/14.....6.1 ast........................
    ....↕️..............Dal...01/02....7.7 ast ................↕️......................//...14/15.....7.0 ast.........................
    ........................Dal...02/03....7.3 ast...........................................//....15/16.....7.5 ast........................
    03/04 Pho.......Dal...03/04....8.8 ast ..........................................//....16/17....11.8 ast....w/D'Antoni..
    04/05
    Pho................↔️........11.5 ast.........."......26 Pts
    05/06
    Pho..................."........10.5 ast.........."......3 gms (micro-fracture surgery Oct)
    06/07 Pho..................."........11.6 ast.........."......20.4 Pts
    07/08
    Pho..................."........11.1 ast...........".....25.2 Pts
    08/09
    NYK..............Pho........9.7 ast.........Pho...21.4 Pts w/Nash con't chemistry
    09/10 NYK..............Pho.......11.0 ast........Pho...23.1 Pts w/Nash con't chemistry
    10/11 NYK...............Pho......11.4 ast........NYK..25.3 Pts..w/D'Ant- Melo traded to NY (27 gms)
    11/12
    NYK.................................................NYK...17.5 Pts..w/D'Ant & Lin/(Linsanity-Melo inj adsence)
    12/13
    ..........................................................NYK...14.2 Pts.....without D'Antoni/Lin
    13/14..........................................................NYK...11.9 Pts......without D'Antoni/Lin
    Players w/D'Antoni system tend to up their numbers......w/exception Melo/Kobe ball domination.
    Amar'e career slowed down after D'Ant "may" be due to injury toll. Tyson Chandler had 10 pts/gm yr
    before D'Antoni in championship season with Dallas.....about the same there after. Would Tom Brady
    be as successful without Belichick system?......say a Jeff Fisher (known to favor running game style)
    system.

#60 Jatman20, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    D-rock likes this.