1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To what extent are Capela + Harrell products of the system?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Are these guys just really special players or are they just pretty good athletes who fit within the Rockets offensive environment-- Harden + shooters + D'Antoni system giving them easier shots than they would have gotten on most NBA teams? Could another decently athletic big like Tarik Black have gotten similar production if given the same opportunities?

There is probably a bit of both, but are we talking about 80-20 or 50-50 or 20-80?

Just thinking in terms of whether the team should keep them around to see what they'd grow into or "sell high" on one or both of them.

T for 3, vator, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

System is definitely a big part of their success but not sure how much really. Impossible to know.

Pen15clubber and zcarenow like this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's the PnR + spacing. Everyone is a better offensive player in this system as long as they are not exclusively a post player that can't pass the ball or a guard that can't shoot at all.

For example, Noel would look better in this offense than Philly, but it is ridiculous to say Noel would run the PnR as well as Capela does. A lot of it is Capela improving along with the system giving him more space to think/operate.

Defensively, this system is not making people look better than they are. They look just about how good they are.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

70-30 system.

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

System has something to do with it, but I really don't care as long as they produce.

Both guys have bought in and seem to put the necessary work in, which is obviously important. Clint was incredibly raw when drafted and I think most of us thought he was a long way off. CC would not be where he is without putting in the work regardless of the system.

Not sure i'd sell on either one of them without getting something substantial back. Chemistry is a huge part of this teams success and both guys have been instrumental in being a part of it.

6. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

90% system. And by system, I mean James Harden.

Beard draws so much attention that defenders practically leave the roller alone. Help defenders stay home because James is so good at passing out of the PnR to a wide open shooter.

Capela and Harrell are Kenyon Martin. Serviceable, but nothing like when Jason Kidd was his QB

Ramo$e, RocketWalta, Pat and 9 others like this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Capela is really long, and really athletic with a limited offensive skill set. There are more than a few of those type players across the league in various systems. The PnR lob isn't something we just invented.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Which is exactly why I'm glad Morey moved on from Howard. Dwight doesn't buy into crap. This year's team has improved dramatically and Harrell/Capela are much more valuable than Dwight would ever be.

threepointshot3 and PhiSlamma15 like this.
  9. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

idk, don't care. im just grateful we HAVE a system..

sammy, D-rock, Phillyrocket and 6 others like this.
  10. Nivos

Nivos Member

No, but there's only one team with Harden setting up the pick&roll

11. Milby Buff

Milby Buff Member

To be a product of the system, you have to buy into the system and accept your role. D. Howard for instance was a far more superior athlete than these guys, but their hunger, desire, and the fire burns them to hustle harder and it seemed like Howard only wanted to do it in spurts.

Now it may be fools gold because I would not give the ball to neither of the two in a half court set with their backs to the basket but hustling and running the floor to get easy buckets don't really matter what system you're in, its all Heart and Determination

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I think it helps Capela more so than Montrezl. Trez would succeed anywhere with his great coordination and his hustle.

13. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

In my opinion, Capela is less a product of the system than Trezl. He's long, incredibly athletic, and A monster defensively. Offensively he does benefit from having Harden & MDA, but most bigs not named Cousins benefit from having an elite guard on their team. Trezl, on the other hand, is primarily a product of the system AT THE MOMENT. He's shown glimpses of being able to stretch the floor a bit, and if he can add that as a consistent weapon...damn.

I'm really not sure who would even be available that's worth throwing any current Rocket in a deal for.

14. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

I said it before- Beardman makes every one better, even KJ .

D-rock likes this.
  15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

While I believe MDA has created the conditions for the team to be successful, its still up to the players to execute. Making Harden a PG was brilliant and his ability along with the group of players DM assembled to execute MDA's game plan has transformed this team from hard to watch to one of the most exciting in the league.

Capela has improved quite a bit from his rookie year. He's added some nice little post moves, more court awareness and some weight. If he continues to work on his individual game and body, he'll be our center for years to come. MDA takes advantage of his athleticism by using him and Harden with the PnR. Is that the system? Yes, but I believe MDA meshes his system to his player's strengths (ala Belichick/Pats) and gets the most out of their abilities.

Which leads me to Montrezl and how explosive his game was last night. Filling in for Capela, Montrezl's athletic ability was featured in the PnR plays, but he also showed his mid-range game and hit his FTs. I believe MDA's system and game plans give players the opportunity to feature their talents and like last night Montrezl showed what he could do.

As for your questions, I wouldn't trade either of them right now because I think we've got the potential to be a special team if we can tweak on the edges (as I mentioned in another thread big C and another PG option). I also don't think Black would be as effective as either Capela or Harrell in this system.

It appears DM drafting players like Capela, Dekker and Harrell provided us a foundation to add Gordon, Anderson and Nene to give us a solid 9-man rotation. MDA and his staff have done a great job of ensuring we're prepared and we're getting better and gaining confidence each game. We have almost the perfect blend of talent, experience and energy that keeps the MDA engine cranking at a high level.

Our team is exciting and has the killer instinct we have all have dreamed about. Let's enjoy them!

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

They are products of the system but it is more that they are products of playing with players like Harden, who get all the attention and allow them to roam free.

DD

Hui, amaru, Rocket River and 2 others like this.
  17. anchel

anchel Member

Capela is for real, anywhere. He's really coordinated, has very good hands, can use both very well... he is able to dissociate the steps and the hands....he's a really coordinated big man, he makes hard finishes look easy, that's talent. He's also a good all around defender, has a nice awareness at both ends of the court,, high IQ. Of course fast feet....can run and can defend outside. He's also good at rebounding, has the good technique, the length and the athleticism (lacks bulk). All those qualitites are objetcive and very useful anywhere he plays.

Harrell is a very poor defensive rebounder and that's maybe the worst weakness you can ask for a big man. Personally I see a better overall awareness in Capela, with and without the ball, and consider Harrell more a product of the Hardensystem. Harrell runs the court as well as Clint, is athletic and also a good finisher (I see Capela as a better finisher against elite opposition cause of size). Harrell can shoot it and play more face to the basket, so there's a field where he can outscore Clint... But overall I have no doubt: Capela is the special one, Harrell the replaceable one. In fact both are repleacable for an even better player, but I see Capela with a significantly higher upside.

#17 anchel, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    skroodup25 and Plowman like this.
  18. vtjsr2

vtjsr2 Member

the system is james harden

Stormy1234 likes this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Harrell is a hustle guy. He can contribute in any system, but probably will never make Dwight obsolete. Capela, not sure.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG]