1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To trade Wood at the deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 15, 2021.

?

Trade Wood at the deadline

1. Yay

202 vote(s)
    92.7%
  2. Nay

16 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I see there has been a massive shift since the off season, welcome to the club boys, it used to be only me and @larsv8 lol

Corrosion likes this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

What player or type of player is everyone wanting in return for Wood? Or are we even looking for a returning impact player? Draft picks? Wood is an above average player at worst and a borderline all-star at best, playing on a cheap contract this year and the next.

Do we want to trade big for small and bring in a stopgap point guard? Do we want a big man in return that is more in the Capela mode than a stretch 4/5? Just curious because Wood is our best trading chip and we need to maximize our returns.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

at this point promising draft picks or a young talented player(s) in their very early 20s is what you're looking for. There's no need for guys like him 26+ years old on this team who won't be here for long. The rockets are in search for a building block. It's necessary to continue to shuffle the cards until one clearly stands out

4. xaos

xaos Member

Won't try to come up with a long list, but Kuminga comes to mind as a player that might make sense for both teams. Got to get the salaries to match and of course that would expand the trade, but that's a young player with high offensive and defensive upside that fits in with our rebuild. Nothing wrong with having more swings at the bat with the young prospects.

5. dmoneybangbang

IDK? If Jaylen Brown becomes available after an extremely disappointing year, what are we doing? Are the Suns going to keep both Ayton and Bridges?

Or CHA with PJ Washington plus picks?

Lots of different ways to go but I think we should stand pat this mid season deadline for Wood unless something shakes free.

xaos likes this.
  6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We the OG.

Its is satisfying to see people catching up in thinking though.

I truly believe we could have gotten Sacs pick at the draft and drafted Mitchell. Huge blown opportunity.

7. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Wood isn’t that good. He’ll put up numbers on a bad team from time to time, but his Bball IQ, physique and bad attitude aren’t going anywhere. There is a reason Detroit let him walk.

Corrosion, IvanLCPM, Patience and 3 others like this.
  8. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I’m sick of the guys soft play and bad attitude. Get what you can for him and trade for Simmons.

9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I disagree. You absolutely have to consider this if you're Rafael Stone. I suspect Wood thinks he's a max player on his next contract. Do you want to pay him the max? Because if you don't, or if Tillman won't, you need to trade him while he still has time left on a value contract.

The cool thing is that he expires after the 22/23 season at the same time as John Wall. That's also the last season we hold the right to our picks. So it's the perfect time to blow our wad on free agents and get competitive. So, in theory, we could use that offseason to try to lure some free agents and pay Wood whatever he wants after we bring in more guys. That'd be a lot easier if we've already rid ourselves of Gordon and Theis. That would free up an extra 30 million. I'm not opposed to that and I'd have to guess that's the plan, but that's just it, there definitely needs to be a plan in place.

If I had to guess, next year one of Chet Holmgrem, Paolo Banchero or Jalen Duren is going to be a Rocket. Maybe even Victor Wembanyama the year after. So we should have at least one more big guy in the mix by the time his contract expires. But what if it's two of them? Do we still need Wood then?

I just think all of these questions have to be asked. I'm not for trading Christian Wood just to trade him. The Colby White + future 1st from a very good Bulls team proposal doesn't appeal to me, for example. I'd much rather keep him in that case. But if the Warriors are willing to give us Kuminga, Wiseman and a future 1st I would at least consider that. If some team is willing to give us a few first round picks and a few 1st round pick swaps and some expirings, I'd be willing to consider something like that. And if he could be part of a Jaylen Brown trade I'd DEFINITELY do that. Would love a Wood + Gordon for Jaylen Brown trade.

So yeah, I don't really get why you're dismissing this thread outright, bro. Although I do think it's a whole lot more complicated than yay or nay. The yay or the nay very much depend on what we can get in return and what we think our roster is going to look like by the summer of 22/23.

10. Williamson

Well, they are also one of the worst ran franchises in the NBA. So, you know, there is that.

D-rock and T for 3 like this.
  11. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Woood may not be as good as he thinks he is but he is a unicorn in the nba. I think moving him for draft capital would be tough, we might end up with too many picks to develop. Worst case scenario is he walks in free agency, trading him would definitely better than that, it depends how much he wants and if we think he will be worth it/if we will pay him, that decision needs to be made now.

If he wants a max and we won’t pay him then he has to be moved

D-rock likes this.
  12. Williamson

Picks aren't just for using in the draft. They are cigarettes in prison. They are the currency of the NBA.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I Wood.

He lacks the offensive ball movement and the defensive strength and agility to be part of a contender.

He has a huge package of tools but is missing a couple key pieces. He would be an ideal 2nd unit big for someone, and if he could net us some draft capital for more flexibility, plus if we could (somehow) package House/Gordon or Wall with him, all the better.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  14. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

The nba has changed, Even if we are the worst team in the league this year and next year, it is more likely than not that we do NOT get one of the top three picks next year or Web the next year.

It’s hard to fathom but it’s true!

D-rock and napalm06 like this.
  15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Bingo, it was 3 picks (arguably 4 with Lamb) around Kevin Martin that made OKC do the Harden trade. They can definitely sweeten some deals to poach talent if you think your analytics can find it on someone's bench instead of in the draft.

Also those picks became Steven Adams, Mitch McGary (WHO?) and Alex Abrines. Hohoho.

D-rock and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've never been in prison. Well, I've toured Alcatraz, but tobacco wasn't involved. I'll take your word for it. ;-)

D-rock, AroundTheWorld and Williamson like this.
  17. juanm34

juanm34 Member

If it saves The Tillman money I’m all for it.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Williamson

Those aren't the projected top 3 picks. They are projected to go in the top 5 as of right now.

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Such Rubbish!!!!!!!!!! I would rather have a Coach who could coach the team to play team basketballYetti

D-rock likes this.
  20. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

The Warriors are not going to give you Kuminga and Wiseman both....Last year they said they would trade Wiseman for a STAR or All Star because he is a STAR. Wiseman has all the tools and can shoot from the 3 point land. He is big and can block shots. Wiseman and Jalen would be a Kobe and Shaq situation. I do not believe Boston is going to give Brown away. However, both Gordon and Wood would give us nice young talent. Wood is too small and is very passive, he has a attitude problem and produce no defense. Wiseman give us size and will play defense. For consolation prize, I would love to get Kuminga the guy can play 6'8 at Small Forward or Power Forward but Kuminga and Garuba would give us GREAT size.

Denovo likes this.