1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To trade Wood at the deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 15, 2021.

?

Trade Wood at the deadline

1. Yay

202 vote(s)
    92.7%
  2. Nay

16 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. dmoneybangbang

Right but he’s still not a brand new car…. he was drafted in 2015.

Pre-leased 2015 BMW?

Squirtle likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Wood is a used Mazda RX-8 with low mileage. Interesting concept but ultimately not reliable enough to be a big deal.

swakid8, raining threes and xaos like this.
  3. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

You Silas hater you :eek::confused:o_O;)

4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Please . I’d do for almost anything .

I don’t think he’s very good . Furthermore, he talks way too much **** for how good he actually is .

he is not going to be a 1 or 2 or probably even 3rd best player on a very good team .

His defense is trash and his skinny ass will get boxed out so it’s hard for him to even help on the boards .

he’s a 26 year old , big wing , that hasn’t figured it out .

my guess is he won’t .

I don’t like his attitude, I do like that he wanted to come to Houston.. but he’s overpaid at this point .

empty stats type of guy . I’ve seen him make a handful of good passes over his time here . He does not make “winning plays”

Corrosion likes this.
  5. raining threes

I would take Kai and a top 7 protected 1st for Wood.

Trading Gordon for a young PG/pick would also be very high on my to do list

Milos likes this.
  6. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#46 Squirtle, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    Nook likes this.
  7. raining threes

I'm adding a true young PG in trade or draft.

Then using KPJ as a 6th man type guy.

8. xaos

xaos Member

I think a fair amount of people wanted to trade him before the season even started (which qualifies as not making him a scapegoat). Wood is a talented player that can help a team trying to win TODAY. If your team has alpha player(s) and can maximize his abundant offensive talents, he is worth paying. He will ask for the max because he thinks he is Anthony Davis part II, which he isn't even Anthony Davis 0.05.

He is our most skilled player and soon to be competing with Sengun for that title. He believes he is some All Star player and feels disrespected if he doesn't make the All Star game. He needs to perform like an all star talent -- which is a standard he is creating himself. He just made McGee look like prime Dwight Howard. That should REALLY bother people wanting to keep Wood here and us pay him.

Something about Wood rubs me the wrong way (insert Wood rubbing joke here?). It's like he thinks he is some superstar and we should halt all player development for him. That could be true or false. How would I know.

It's not a bad idea to get something in return that matches our timeline. When I think of "vet" leadership, Wood isn't it. Trade Wood while his trade value is very high and bring in a vet or two to help our young guys.

And I know the timeline topic will be brought up: Wood isn't on our same timeline but a guy like Tate is because of the role they play, their leadership qualities and how much money they will want in 2023-2024.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wood and Sengun can and do play well together.

Getting rid of Wood is all kinds of stupid, especially after lowering his value with insipid role change.

Further, Wood actually WANTS to be a Rocket. He has a chip on his shoulder to prove to NBA that Houston was right in taking chance on him.

This fanbase is ridiculous.

BallaDoc likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

We either have to trade or pay him coming up. Just curious, what’s your contract you are giving Wood as of 11/15/21

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

There are much bigger concerns than Wood's contract.

How he plays going forward in new role will determine his contract value.

And I thought CF trusted Stone, why the hubbub over a nonissue?

12. dmoneybangbang

Right but this is the “trade Wood?” thread and you are arguing how it would be a mistake to trade him this year. Just trying to gauge how much you really liked Wood.

That’s cool then.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Almost every morning. Never disappoints.

D-rock and Squirtle like this.
  14. H. Christopher

If the trade is right yes but I do feel like it’s Sengun’s time. Will his Ego allow for Sengun to flourish?

15. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

My. Man.

16. xaos

xaos Member

It's certainly not an nonissue when we are clearing about 70M off of the cap and will have about 40M-60M to spend on free agents 2023-25. By signing Wood we are waiving that cap flexibility. There's probably a greater than 50% chance that we draft a big in the upcoming draft with a higher upside than Wood. So that also means there would be decisions to make there too. Wood being on the worst team in the league is not going to make his trade value go up no matter how much his role changes, even if his numbers increase 20% across the board. It's near its peak for the current contract.

Wanting to trade Wood is simply asking do I think the value Wood brings to our team in the next 5 years is greater than the return his trade value could bring in the next 10 years?

Corrosion likes this.
  17. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Wood is a good player at the 5. Wood is a bad player at the 4.

Do what you want with that information. I have no idea what would we could even get back.

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Poll added.

Corrosion and xaos like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yes, it's a stupid thread.

20. dmoneybangbang

Lol. Okay. That’s fine you don’t want to give a number…