1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To the Ones that said Josh Smith wasnt getting 15-17 million

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Htownballer38, Jul 6, 2013.

1. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

If we keep asik, I hope it's closer to 15...not every night, but most nights... I just want him as close to 25 mpg as possible... I think in 25 mpg, he can have a MASSIVE impact. He blocked more shots per 40 min in Chicago if I'm not mistaken... And it wasn't close... He could play so much more aggressively and would be such a positive... Hopefully the experiment works well... I think he'd be fine with 22-25 min per game... Very likely not worth a consistent 15,like in Chicago.

2. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I think you're wrong on that. When talking about a contract as a whole, I always think in terms of the average. It's not worth doing the math in most cases.

It's apples and oranges. In Dwight's case, the important thing was whether we could fit his max contract under the cap. With Smith, the question was whether he would get a max contract, and if not, how much less he would get. The particular value of his first year was not as important.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You are confusing cap talks and value talks. When people discuss about whether a team CAN sign a guy, or what a team needs to do to sign said player, it's about cap hit.

BUT when people talk about whether a guy is WORTH a certain amount, or when people are comparing players worth, they use the average and the length of the contract. Otherwise, it'd be comparing apples to oranges.

4. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

I'm very glad we aren't getting him. There is good reason Atlanta doesn't want him after so many years. He's a good defender but offensively not very good and that makes him way overpaid.

5. joesr

joesr Member

thats not max

max is 15 and going up each year

josh is getting about 12 then 13 then 14 then 15

6. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

That's fair. But let's be honest -- do you think people always make that distinction clear in the GARM? Most speak in very general terms, like Rockets shouldn't give Smith x or other times, Smith will get x on the market. Or Smith will ASK for x. Whenever I hear he is asking for some amount, I think the first yr salary (unless we end up talking about the aggregate).

I just don't see the distinction made often enough to say there's some obvious, go-to rule, much less that my interpretation is that silly. I know for sure that when most people were talking about how much ROCKETS would pay for Smith and they said a number like $12M, MANY meant on the first yr of his contract and not necessarily the average (where w/ the 4.5% raises, he'd be making closer to only $11M his first yr). And that seems to be mostly what the OP is talking about anyways.

7. acjeitherocket

Wow that boy got paid. Overpaid...

8. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Wow, now the Pistons have a monster front line defensively. OMG

9. pwnyxpress

Responses in red

10. pwnyxpress

I lied and failed to highlight in red hahahaha

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

He's been bad lately. He broke up the pistons,which wasn't a bad plan. After the breakup,he over spent on charlie v and ben gordon in conjunction with stuckey. Then he resigned prince after drafting daye. Monroe and drumond were good picks,but he's trashed that with the smith signing. Worse of it all,his coaching choices have been terrible.

12. trowa2

trowa2 Member

two years from now, this deal will look exactly like boozers and amare's deal, but at least jsmith doesnt rob the team as much.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Would have liked to have had him, but i figured a bad team would overpay.

Winning clearly wasn't that important to smith, i'd be curious to see how much we were willing to pay him.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

For what its worth, Josh Smith has NEVER BEEN an ALL-STAR. Why should he get PAID like 1?

(J Smith has never been on any All-NBA teams either, except 1 All Defensive 2nd Team.)

NBA teams are actually smarter now than they've been. But some of them still dont seem to realize they're just bidding against themselves. All it takes is 1 team out of 30 to overpay.

15. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Hilarious. This is a basketball fan site, not a legal site.

You're still arguing that someone is right or wrong based on a 7.143% discrepancy?? I would call that nailing it.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Joe Dumars has become a laughing stock. He throws away that team's cap space. Even his successes post 2004 haven't amounted to anything.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

And he'll never live down Darko over Melo/Bosh/Wade

18. da_juice

da_juice Member

Eh, I don't blame him for that. Hindsight is 20/20, and everyone was signing Darko's praises. Also, the Pistons didn't have Rasheed Wallace yet.

However, you can make the argument that they should have traded Darko after getting Sheed (although again, hindsight)

But his moves in '09 were just stupid.