1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To the Ones that said Josh Smith wasnt getting 15-17 million

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Htownballer38, Jul 6, 2013.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Sort of glad Morey walked away from this ticking time bomb of a contract. 14 million isn't exactly a "max" deal, but its nothing to balk at as well. Josh Smith is a good player, but by no means is he going to upgrade this team that much from where it already is going to be at.

In all actuality Ryan Anderson at 10 million a year makes much sense because of the role he will play on this team.

Asik at 8 million a year makes more sense because of what he means for your star center... better health during regular season due to minutes he can play, and anything you can do get a few minutes with them on the floor together is a bonus.

Josh Smith would help this team on the defensive end, but ultimately would be an odd fit on offense that could take a half to full season to figure out.

Then you factor in the cap flexibility and Josh Smith to Houston looks even less attractive with other really good players coming up in free agency in 2014, and staying flexible enough for trades this upcoming year as well.

Also, dont forget the gapping hole at PG the Rockets would have if they had to trade Lin & Asik to get this deal done. Beverley is really good IMO, but he's not a proven starter just yet. Lin at least has a full season under his belt where he has shown flashes.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Just because Josh Smith is getting that bank from the Pistons, don't assume he would get that same with the Rockets.

My hunch is that Morey placed a value on Smith. Lets just say at 11M for sake of argument. Came to Smith with that number to play on a Howard/Harden team and Smith balked. Then Morey moved on and then Josh Smith took the BIG paycheck from the CRAP TEAM.

Iggy turned down more money from the CRAP Kings to sign with the up and coming Warriors.

teams that are good, can get better "deals." CRAP teams have to pay the FULL STICKER PRICE.

3. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

While I agree that this is true, I would like to point out that it isn't Iggy that spurned the Kings really -- the Kings withdrew their offer real fast, which made Iggy balk. Apparently, Kings had expected Iggy to accept almost right away, and when he didn't, they thought they might be used as leverage so withdrew.

4. pwnyxpress

Anyone else shocked (slight derail) at the super cheap and short deal Millsap took? To play w/ ATL? WHAaaaaaa

5. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

14 million a year seems about right for Smith. I would have liked to see him on the Rockets for that much.

I mean, in an ideal world he would get 12 like Iggy, but Iggy to a discount to go to the Warriors. I would have been happy to pay Smith 13 mill, and quibling over 1 mill per season is the type of stuff that turns your franchise into the Clippers.

I am sure Morey has a better plan than Smith -- I am just pretty interested to see what it is.

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Rockets talked to Josh Smith but never engaged in sign-and-trade discussions. Also no S&amp;T planned between Atlanta &amp; Detroit at moment.</p>&mdash; Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/statuses/353602251677376512">July 6, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Crap towns have to overpay
    Contenders get role players cheap

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Honestly, his and Detroit's loss. He will be stuck in the exact mediocrity he has been stuck in, and Detroit will be paying a guy who will be sacrificing the development of younger players with misguided shot selection and attitude.

He would have been perfect on a contender at around 10-12m where scoring is not one of his priorities. He could have won a ring with us while playing with his buddy Howard and benefitting from the coaching of McHale and the tutelage of Hakeem.

9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Oh well. Still going for the money to play on a crap has-been team.

10. Shirt Off

Shirt Off Member

dumars still living off that 04 title

just stop already

11. BreakYoSelfFool

Actually, you need to try math. 56/4 = 14, so Josh Smith's deal averages 14 mil a year. A max deal for Josh smith (7-9 yrs in league) would start at 17.5 mil with 4.5% raises. A max deal would be 4 yrs 74 mil, but Josh got 4 yrs 56 mil. Obviously Josh got no where near a MAX deal. I think most people said that Josh would get between 10-15 a year which he did.

Also, it is also possible that Josh would have signed for less if it was a better team or opportunity for him. However, it seems that Detroit is the only team that has contacted him so far. The reports are that the Rockets told him they would sign him if Dwight wasn't coming. I think in that situation, he would have gotten a 12 mil a yr offer with no state income tax.

The people who said that Josh smith would get a max deal were about 5 mil a year off, while the people who said 12 mil first year would mean 4 yrs with 4.5% raises and would be 4 yrs 51 mil. about 5 mil off from what he got.

12. CoogieD

CoogieD Member

we dodged a bullet on this one.

13. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

ok thanks for explaining that to me pimpn.

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Correct me if I am wrong here, but didnt we sign Harden top a max deal worth 13-14 million a year. So if that's the case, how isnt this a max deal. Or max deals are between 17-20 million price range.

But hey good take

15. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

You're arguing the definition of something that doesn't exist. The simplest understanding and technically the only thing that really matters is the average.

16. OTMax

OTMax Member

YES!!! So glad we didn't get him, but now I really don't know why we didn't even try to get Millsap or another PF

17. pwnyxpress

Fine, if that is the case, the average is STILL not $15M a yr. It's $14M a yr. Maybe that is the simplest understanding, but I definitely don't think it is the only thing that matters...

We were all talking about Dwight's $20.5M and not $22M (which would be his average)...why? Because what we really care about is how x player impacts our cap THIS yr. So we know whether we can fit him in or not. That's true for trades as well...so to argue that my definition is not the simplest or one that matters seems rather flawed to me.

18. pwnyxpress

There are many things affecting a "max" deal, but one of them is number of yrs in the league. Harden is relatively young, so Smith's max is higher. For players that have been in the league for 6 yrs or less, it is 25% of the cap for that yr. For 7-9 yrs, it is 30%. For 10+ yrs, it is 35%. Also, it actually isn't even "25%" entirely (as you will see Harden's past projected (and now un-updated) $13.668M is LESS than 25% of the $58M cap from last yr) because of some negotiating technicalities, making the % actually off of 42.14% of projected BRI instead. It is some weird reason, but it will always be a little LESS than the 25/30/35 amount.

Now if you're wondering, hey, but Dwight's been in the league only 8 yrs! 30% of the cap of $58.5M is only $17.5M! Why $20.5M? Because another rule states that a free agent player can get a "max" of up to 105% of the salary of his last contract's final yr.

19. BreakYoSelfFool

Max deal depends on years in the league, previous years salary, and the salary cap for the season. That is why Dwight gets a max deal averaging 22 mil and Harden's max averages around 15 mil.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q17

20. pwnyxpress

This is correct, except due to some contract/technical quirks in the cba, player max's that are dependent on the cap (25/30/35) are actually a little LESS than the percentage (why Harden is projected to get $13.668M next season based on the old $58M cap projection and not $14.5M). JSmith's max actually would have been, in the first yr of his deal, not $17.5M but closer to around $16.5M.