1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To the "its just one game" crowd...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bro2044, Apr 11, 2017.

1. bro2044

bro2044 Member

January 10th we were 31-9.

With the loss tonight (which this is not a reaction to) we have gone 23-18 since that time. Even if we win our last game, we would've not only played a larger chunk of our season at a much lower rate of winning, but it was the latter half of the season.

Its far more than just a 1 game issue, or a few game issue, or being tired, or any of the other bs excuses I've heard over the last 3 entire months. We've been a pretty soulless team, lacking the smallest ounce of discipline and leaning on the consistently poor shooting of our "shooters" to win. Yes, size, defense, rebounding and turnovers are our issues... and if Beverley is energized some of our guys buy in and we have less problems with maybe 2 of those, but if our 3s aren't falling we literally have nothing.

Shooting, defense, rebounding, and not taking care of the ball. That IS basketball. I do not think we've had a fluke of a season, but man we sure have not found out how to harness what this group is capable of. Its hard for me to believe that at the beginning of 2017 I thought we might actually be contenders (albeit still a lower tier than the GS/SA/CLE group). Instead, we've floated just above .500 for months without any consistent indication that we put SOMETHING else together if our 3s are not falling. Living and dying by the 3 has never been closer to the truth, and it kind've breaks my Rocket's heart a bit to not feel excited about the playoffs.

I don't know. I WANT to, and I will go out to every game, root loudly and watch us (hopefully) beat OKC... and then find ourselves once again outmatched by a more consistent and talented Warriors team. Could we beat them? Sure! Will we? Sorry, nothing we have done supports that we could put more than 2 good games together against quality competition within 1 week's time. Perhaps we will bring our A game by not underestimating our opponent, but this group has leeched so much joy out of watching the last 60% of the season that I just don't feel it. Its all downhill motion lately, no momentum.

Gordon lost his shot after the 3-pt contest.
    Williams lost his shot after his first game with us.
    Ariza lost his shot in January.
    Dekker fell off the face of the earth and then broke his hand.
    Anderson is either all on, or all off, and either way can only be productive for either the 1st or 2nd half.
    Harden has not shot well for more than a single game in a long, long time.

Is it better than last year? My god yes, of course it is. None of this "only on Clutchfans..." crap, lol, its just truth and I'll gladly eat crow if we start putting the pieces back together. Sometimes I just want to see that spark, the fight ya know? That competitive sense of urgency that focuses into good play-making and positive energy.

Wtvr, either way this season is a success after losing Howard and expecting another .500-ish finish. The sad thing is I don't know if we're much better than that in reality at the moment. I don't think your record is nearly as important as your current play, and our current play is just head-scratching. I hope our guys find the it that they need sometime before the weekend. 'Night CF.

2. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

We have had one season together.... and came out with the 3rd best record in basketball.

The sky is the limit... let time take its course. Trust the process. It's happeningggggg.

3. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

damn 23-18?

the thunder were 21-16 near that point and ended up going 25-18 with minny and denver next

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i blame it all on nba system ...it doesnt reward rs sucess...we basically coasted after going 31-9..after that staying healthy become our only goal and we halfassed it to 3rd best record in the league

5. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

I will say we came out shooting really well with Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson hitting 40 foot threes looks like Ryan Anderson has come around, still waiting for Eric Gordon

do you think NBA defenses are coming out to guard them that deep and they were nah man you're not going to make that earlier in the season but now since they're proven theyre contesting

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Always one game - the right attitude! ;)

7. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

He does other things.... not worried. Veteran, will etch his role out in game one and then it's all down hill from there.

8. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Carefully camouflaged as oh no the sky is falling, blow it up thread ^_^
    :rolleyes:

Lawlruschang likes this.
  9. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

The NBA is top heavy and the Rockets still have the 3rd best record in the league right now. The two teams in front of them? Assuming they stay healthy....

GSW
    Curry- Future HOF
    Durant - Future HOF
    Thompson - Future HOF
    Green - All-Star/ Possible HOF
    Iguodala - All-Star/ Possible HOF

SAS
    Leonard - Future HOF
    Parker - Future HOF
    Ginobili - Future HOF
    Aldridge - All-Star/Possible Future HOF
    Gasol - Future HOF

Rockets
    Harden - Future HOF

If you had told me before the season started that the Rockets would be a top 3 team in the NBA this year given our current roster, I would have told you that you smoked yourself stupid. Yet, here we are brother!! We have the 3rd best record in the association right now and we did it with only 1 star player.

Just imagine what MDA, Harden and Co. would do to the league if we had 3 or 4 HOF players to pass the ball to. The NBA might have to shut down if that happened because the only people who would be watching would be Rockets fans.

10. HTM

HTM Member

OP uses his real picture?

Not even DaDakota does that

RasaqBoi, Tfor3, BigShasta and 3 others like this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The man has ballz.

12. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Dude's post and OP's post are the perfect juxtaposition of Rockets optimism and pessimism.

Both are valid opinions based on the same product.

At the end of the day, the Rockets are going to have to play better than they are now, even to get a crack at GSW. I think there is a good chance they will, but they have definitely presented us with reasons to worry....

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There are celebs who look like DD so he does not need to do that.

T for 3 likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#14 daywalker02, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    CK Johnson likes this.
  15. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Yo, OP, I can't even front. You're right, and it is something I've realized for a while. Houston has been coasting off the months of November to early January. These past few months we've been just a bit better than average. I don't think we're currently the 3rd best team in the league despite having the 3rd best record. I don't think our record is a reflection of how good we are currently.

Since January 11th we are tied for the 10th best record of all teams. Tied for 6th best in the west. OKC has the same record as us since January 11th. We are both 23-18. That is worrisome. I can at least calm my nerves a bit by seeing that Houston has the 5th best net rating of all teams since then. Still, when I try to account for, "well, we were really bad in January cause of dead legs, so after the all-star break should be a better example" the Rockets still don't fair too well. Post all-star break we're 9th in net rating meaning that either we got worse or teams around the league got better.

I think your worries are valid. We rely too much on our shooters. We live and die by the 3. It's good to have shooters and have them as our main weapon, but it's not good when we can't lock down when the shots aren't falling.

Since January 11th
    Harden - 10 threes a game - 33.6%
    Gordon - 8.5 threes a game - 32.9%
    Williams - 5.6 threes a game - 32.5%
    Ariza - 6.6 threes a game - 30.5%

Since All-star break
    Gordon - 8 threes a game - 34.1%
    Williams - 5.6 threes a game - 32.5%
    Harden - 10 threes a game - 32.4%
    Ariza - 6.4 threes a game - 31.9%

Past 10 games
    Gordon - 7.8 threes a game - 32.9%
    Ariza - 6.8 threes a game - 29.6%
    Harden - 11 threes a game - 29.3%
    Williams - 5.2 threes a game - 25.5%

....Guys.... This IS worrisome. We're not a team like the Grizzlies a few seasons ago where we have our defense to compensate for not being good at threes. We're 19th in defense post all-star break. If our shots aren't going in then I don't know what we can do. We're not a defensive team.

Edit: STILL, I agree also that the season was a success despite the play these past 40 or so games. I think we can still make it to the 2nd round and if we do then us Rockets fans and the players alike should have nothing to be ashamed of. We exceeded expectations. All we could ask for,

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

bro2043 was tougher

bro2044 likes this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I just wanted the team to be clicking come playoff time, but instead they limp into the playoffs playing hero ball. A recipe for disaster.

Hopefully the home crowd energizes the focus and the shots fall and tbey find their rhythm again.

bro2044 and Brown Lost It like this.
  18. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

I get the "you're only as good as your recent form" argument, but I prefer to look at the bigger picture.

We have a good organisation, great coach, legendary franchise player, a great future. Maybe just need a few more pieces to be a true top tier team.

In any case, let's just see how we do this post season before doing any soul searching.

bro2044 likes this.
  19. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

I've watched us beat OKC twice in a row at home.
    We won once there, and should have won the other time.

Can y'all just shut the **** up and go to work?

20. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

It's just one season

CantBeRight likes this.