1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To start Lowry or Brooks, that's a question?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bearrider, Dec 23, 2010.

1. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I think Lowry should start but it really isn't who starts but who finishes IMHO.

2. Zfan

Zfan Member

No way to change the line up. This team is winning. I thought AB was better last season but Lowry is one of the top PG in the league right now.

3. mazinger

mazinger Member

Rick the Ruler: "Hey Lowry, I'm starting Brooks"
    Lowry: "Sigh.... ; ("
    Rick the Ruler: "Don't worry, we're only showcasing him, you'll be back at the
    starting lineup once we trade Brooks"
    Lowey: " = ) "

4. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

did brooks perform terrible as a starter or something??

he's still recovering from his high ankle sprain. give him time. lowry is playing great and has full confidence but lets not start to question brooks until he's fully recovered and gets his confidence back.

5. Happii

Happii Member

Aaron Brooks just came back from a very serious injury and yes he is very rusty right now. This situation have 2 endings.

1) The Carlos Boozer ordeal. After coming back from a broken arm or hand or whatever he was very rusty as well but now he adjusted to the Bull's playing style and is a 20-10 guy again.

2) Aaron Brooks is really a bad player and would not evolve to the dynamic player everyone thought he would transform into after the 2009 playoffs.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

unless brooks has a wide quickness advantage against his man, he is inept. we saw him get destroyed on both ends of the court multiple times last year by guys just as quick as him (ie collison, tj ford). not unlike she-mac, he has a flawed game that relies too much on his physical gifts and not enough on simple fundamental basketball. not unlike she-mac, he takes way too many off balance 20 footers with a hand in his face. not unlike she-mac, he drives into the lane shying away from contact hoping to make miracle prayers (even k-mart with his ultra skinny build looks to force contact, as on his clutch baseline shot against gordon last nite). you can't be consistently effective playing brooks' sort of game. that's why throughout his career thus far he's been an incredibly streaky offensive player (albeit a consistently horrible defensive player).

7. MadRox

MadRox Member

To me it's not about AB only played 3 games and being rusty.
    Even if AB were playing at the peak level of last year I'd still rather see Lowry start with the currently lineup. Before the Martin trade last year, we had Battier and Ariza with AB in the starting lineup, we needed AB's offense and could cover his non existing defense with Batman and Ariza in the lineup. Now we have a much more efficient scorer in Martin, that makes Lowry a much better fit than AB in the starting lineup. I wouldn't mind having AB start if Lee is to replace Martin in the starting lineup, but that's never gonna happen. It ain't about favoritism who starts, but it's just the logical thing to do. Unfortunately all logics does not apply to RA, so AB will eventually start again sigh....

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its not even a question.

If you know the offensive sets, its clear which role is whose.

9. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

The starters have gelled. There is no questioning that.

Personally, I say start Lowry until Brooks can show he's back to his normal self. He's been pretty bad thus far.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The way I see it, the starting unit looks better than it ever did even when Brooks was "his normal self". Meanwhile, the bench is the weakest it has been in a while so why not let the little fellow take his talents to the second unit?

11. spookyoldtree

spookyoldtree Member

Brooks has reached his ceiling, which is capped by his low IQ.
    Lowry is the opposite story. He'll only get better from here.
    Indeed, it's a no-brainer.

12. Wolfpack101

Wolfpack101 Member

The bench looks the worst it has because they are not used to playing with Brooks, they are used to playing an uptempo style with Kyle Lowry. Aaron's strengths are suited to the starting lineup because of Adelman's high-post offense. Lowry's strengths are suited to the bench players because they need a playmaker more. Its quite simple.

13. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

The bench plays with Lowry a lot, they still aren't very good when they do. They have no scorers like Martin and Scola to get easy buckets, that's where AB comes in.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It is simple. The starting lineup now has guys who can score so you put a facilitator on the court rather than someone who takes shots away from them.

Let Brooks come off the bench and gun all he wants. I don't want him taking shots away from Scola and Martin.

15. spookyoldtree

spookyoldtree Member

The thing is, aside from his low IQ, Brooks has become a ball stopper, which is completely against Adelman's system. I expect that Brooks will no longer be with the Rockets next season.

16. Wolfpack101

Wolfpack101 Member

That is a HORRIBLE idea. Why would you want Brooks to come in an take bad shots on the bench? Read larsv8's post, its a good analysis of the offense we run. Lowry has NOTHING to do with facilitating the offense, and frankly neither does Brooks. We don't have a traditional PG-dominated system, and once you figure that out it'll be easier to understand why Brooks starts. Last year the Rockets had one of the most dangerous benches in the league, and that was largely because of Kyle Lowry. You guys assert that Kyle makes others better (an argument I actually agree with)...His playmaking is what made the bench run last year. He was an uptempo PG that played with uptempo players and it worked. AB is best suited in a half-court offense like Adelman's.

17. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

The question that needs to be answered, is which combination of players do Lowry and brooks work best with. Adelman has gone with two separate five man units this year. Does Brooks work better with the first unit or the second unit? I'm thinking he may work better with the second unit, where more of the offense can go through Miller, and Brooks can fill the role of a scoring guard, similar to the way Martin plays with the first unit.

18. Wolfpack101

Wolfpack101 Member

That is actually the ONLY sound argument for Brooks running with the second unit. If you use Miller and run the high-post offense it works.

19. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I am wondering how much Lowry's great shooting has been clouding the issue for some? Dude has been lights out it seems lately. He has basically been the dreamed combination of Brooks and Lowry that we have been hoping for since the play-offs in 2009.

But yes, isn't there already about 2,337 threads about this?

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I wonder why nobody else has thought of a topic like this before..

/repeat same tired arguments and go back-and-forth with opposing views.